PDA

View Full Version : Hording........

Jesla
03-22-2012, 22:36
Did You guys get a letter from Smokingpipes.com regarding Hording?

Wow! Never thought I see a retailer discussing Hording.... and it benefits....

"When I got hired to work for Smokingpipes in late November 2005, I had already experienced the angst of purchasing a couple of tins of a particular pipe tobacco blend, thoroughly enjoying it, and later discovering that it had gone out of production. The name and blend of said tobacco really isn't as important as what I learned from my mistake: Buy more as soon as it's realized there's a chance it could go away forever (or at least annoyingly indefinitely). Whether the company quit making the blend simply because a specific component was in short supply or whether the blender perceived that demand for this mix was too short and couldn't sell enough to warrant continued production (possibly from smokers just like me who possessed the "Eh; I'll just buy more after I finish these' attitude regarding pipe tobacco purchasing) is a dilemma I cannot address. However, buying more to smoke later may have saved it from the graveyard.
When I began working in our retail store in 2006, I talked with a lot of customers that would try a tobacco and really enjoy it. "Buy more", I would say, followed by my personal story of woe. I'd let them know up-front that I wasn't trying to trick them into buying more tobacco to raise sales; rather, I was just informing them of the facts. Once you've found a blend you love it quite certainly will increase in price (as all things do), eventually it will cease to be produced (as all things do - even if it's many years away), and it should get better with age.
I took my own advice and purchased four or five pounds of Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake in bulk as well as a few other bulk blends, and between five and ten tins of each of the tobaccos I liked. It's here I'd like to mention that while some people might attempt to buy out the total inventory of a particular favored blend, and are free to do so, hoarding copious amounts that one doesn't even plan to smoke prevents all others from being introduced to and talking about this tobacco which would otherwise increase interest among friends and peers and thus may cause the blend in regard to have more fans, which will keep it in demand and surely the shops supplied, and so on and so forth.
Samuel Gawith pipe tobacco is a perfect example of the aforementioned syndrome. We used to get a lot of 50-gram tins and one-pound boxes back in 2006. Hundreds and hundreds of them. But because demand for their product is up and the general availability of it is extremely low (in small part because of smokers buying up as much as the can), many smokers have resorted to discovering other blends to replace their beloved Sam Gawith smokes (which, actually, is a good thing for the survival of other blends). Now do I think that Samuel Gawith blends will ever fall out of popularity so as to threaten its existence? No. Nevertheless, are there a lot of smokers who can now relate to my story at the beginning of this letter? Probably.
As I sit here typing this, I'm puffing on some Full Virginia Flake that I packed away in mason jars six years ago. The stuff is amazingly good. It's also a lot more expensive now that it was when I purchased it. Most importantly, I made the mistake of not buying anymore after my initial purchase, and now I can't seem to get any at all. I should have been adding to the stock whenever I could afford to do so.
The moral of this story, if I had to grasp one, is smoke what you have now, buy more to cellar (but not so much as to exclude everyone else), and try and remember to add a few more tins than you think you need each time you replenish. Again, you could accuse me of trying to 'drive sales' but really, I'm trying to save you future regret. The positives of such a practice will see you slowly building your cellar over time (be sure to write the dates of purchase on the tins to keep track of aging) and keeping the products in a trickle of demand so the companies will be less-likely to discontinue them. And you'll actually be saving money in the long run by avoiding future price increases.
Tonight you can find a great many offerings from Tsuge, Tonni, Michael Lindner, Kevin Arthur, Ashton, Randy Wiley, Winslow, IMP, Nording, Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell, and sixty awesome estates.
Happy puffing (and cellaring)

-- Adam Davidson"

Markw4mms
03-22-2012, 22:45
Yeah, I get their emails every day. I wish I had the money to buy 5 lbs of FVF, or any of my other favorites for that matter.

Paul
03-22-2012, 22:55
Damnit...I am not a hoarder!!!!

Buying tobacco...the only time I don't procrastinate!!!

Puff The Magic
03-23-2012, 01:41
Hoarding? Nah! Just stock pilin'! :D

I'm very happy where i am now.....was the entire way of loadin' up the cellar!

Adam speaks the truth pipers! If you enjoy what you smoke, get it as you can and toss a bit in for tomorrow(s). It will be more expensive then or disappear!

Cellar wide, deep, and NOW!

Where have i heard that?

Ed
Puff

Markw4mms
03-23-2012, 01:44
Hoarding? Nah! Just stock pilin'! :D

I'm very happy where i am now.....was the entire way of loadin' up the cellar!

Adam speaks the truth pipers! If you enjoy what you smoke, get it as you can and toss a bit in for tomorrow(s). It will be more expensive then or disappear!

Cellar wide, deep, and NOW!

Where have i heard that?

Ed
Puff

Hmm, that phrase does sound slightly familiar!

HCraven
03-23-2012, 02:51
As Ed will attest, the law can screw with your supply too. Maryland recently banned interstate sales of tobacco products, and your state could be next. If you don't have a good B&M close by, that could be a major obstacle for your future enjoyment of this hobby. That said, my cellar isn't near what it should be...

Markw4mms
03-23-2012, 03:03
As Ed will attest, the law can screw with your supply too. Maryland recently banned interstate sales of tobacco products, and your state could be next. If you don't have a good B&M close by, that could be a major obstacle for your future enjoyment of this hobby. That said, my cellar isn't near what it should be...

Mine isn't either, Herb.702

Puff The Magic
03-23-2012, 03:09
Now, i have to drive to places like Boswells just to get leaf! Nah, actually my local b&m's do a fairly stellar job of supplying my needs. Ferinstunce....all Sg tins in stock (yes, FVF too). Between Faders (and it's multiplemlocals), Waldorf Tinder Box, and Davidus, as well as Georgetown Tobaccos, i'm good, but have to drive for it. No more online or phone sales. I took heed, read the writing on the walls and started my cellar up late '09, ramped up "procurememt" endeavors in 2010, with a grande finale in early '11. Boy i gottsa bunch o'leaf! :D

Cellar NOW pipers!

Ed
Puff

Arkie_
03-23-2012, 03:20
If I were a rich man I'd have 200 lb of primo baccy and 20 champion bird dogs (which gives you some idea of my priorities.) Too much of a good thing is great. My wife is fairly tolerant of my tobacco obsessions but she thinks I'm a nut.

I considered growing my own tobacco but I can't even get tomato or pepper plants to live and produce.

Puff The Magic
03-23-2012, 03:31
Cellaring leaf is canning for the future!

Build it! And smile all the while!

Ed
Puff

Paul
03-23-2012, 03:33
And may I add...it's not hoarding unless you have it all :) !!!

Markw4mms
03-23-2012, 03:57
Well, hoarding is one thing I'll never be accused of then!

EMorse
03-23-2012, 04:11
Stocking up on your favourites just seems like common sense to me. Its never gonna get cheaper and most of it gets better with age...........I'm not sure I see the downside

Markw4mms
03-23-2012, 04:16
Anyone want to give me a loan so I can stockpile a couple of kilos of PS LTF?703

drdca
03-23-2012, 04:32
I'd buy a lot more, but I can only risk bringing very small amounts across the border in case I get hit with customs duties! :-(

AndyLowry
03-23-2012, 04:41
I got that email too. I thought the fella brought up some good points-- there has to be a balance between neurotic hoarding and just putting away some extra of what you like.

As a shooting enthusiast and reloader, I have ugly memories of what happened three years ago or so-- all decent gunpowder disappeared, along with new casings in popular sizes, and primers just completely vanished. It happened because of paranoiac hoarders, and I don't want to be part of the problem for other people, whether it be tobacco or reloading supplies. So I take it easy; a pound of tobacco here and there as it becomes available, a box of primers, a pound of powder-- no need to get crazy about having stuff on hand. Stuff will build up slow 'n' steady when it's there, and will tide one over when it's not there.

Every time I order tobacco to try, I throw in a pound of some bulk I like if I can. Now I have twenty pounds or so. Not a big backstock, but it will continue to grow. Likewise, I always get an extra box of primers or pound of Unique whenever I need something in that realm.

Paul
03-23-2012, 04:55
I do the same thing Andy :) !!!

Though most of the blends I like I can only find in tins...but when I buy a brand new blend, I'll buy 2 or 3. If I like it, next few PAD's I'll usually buy another tin or 2 (which helps get to that magical free shipping level too) and add that way.

Though today I found myself disgustingly low on my 3 favorite GLP blends...this needs to be rectified.

My local B&M started carrying Penzance...he didn't have a tin limit and I went in a week later they were all gone...one person pretty much bought them all up. That drives me nuts...just because you can buy 'em all doesn't mean you should...I mean I bet that customer would've been pissed if I had been the one to buy them all up.

Markw4mms
03-23-2012, 05:13
Yeah Paul, Penzance never sits around for long anywhere!

tiltjlp
03-23-2012, 12:12
Buying lots of your favorites to smoke is fine, but those who regularly end up putting their cellars up for auction to profit ten and twenty fold from their fellow pipe smokers are worse than pond scum, IMNSHO.

Puff The Magic
03-23-2012, 13:50
I don't denegrate those who sell their cellar'd leaf for profit if the value of the leaf warrants it. I'll gladly pay someone $1-2/yr of age (maybe more) for a vintage leaf i want that i didn't happen to scarf up when it was readily available. Tastes do change or medical conditions change causing some to selloff or give-away their leaf they know they won't or can't smoke. Don't get mad at a piper who is selling off vintage leaf. Get mad at the flippers who buyout existing stock levels then wait a month or two and plop them on the bay for double what they paid ....or more!

Ed
Puff

Paul
03-23-2012, 16:59
I don't denegrate those who sell their cellar'd leaf for profit if the value of the leaf warrants it. I'll gladly pay someone $1-2/yr of age (maybe more) for a vintage leaf i want that i didn't happen to scarf up when it was readily available. Tastes do change or medical conditions change causing some to selloff or give-away their leaf they know they won't or can't smoke. Don't get mad at a piper who is selling off vintage leaf. Get mad at the flippers who buyout existing stock levels then wait a month or two and plop them on the bay for double what they paid ....or more!

Ed
Puff

Ya know, I kind of use this theory to justify the higher costs a B&M charges for tins...most tins I get at my B&M are easily 1.5x the cost of what I can find on line, but I consistently get tins that have quite a bit of age on them since he certainly doesn't have the turn over in supply that a Smoking Pipes or a Pipes and Cigar has.

Arkie_
03-23-2012, 20:32
I got that email too. I thought the fella brought up some good points-- there has to be a balance between neurotic hoarding and just putting away some extra of what you like.

As a shooting enthusiast and reloader, I have ugly memories of what happened three years ago or so-- all decent gunpowder disappeared, along with new casings in popular sizes, and primers just completely vanished. It happened because of paranoiac hoarders, and I don't want to be part of the problem for other people, whether it be tobacco or reloading supplies. So I take it easy; a pound of tobacco here and there as it becomes available, a box of primers, a pound of powder-- no need to get crazy about having stuff on hand. Stuff will build up slow 'n' steady when it's there, and will tide one over when it's not there.

Every time I order tobacco to try, I throw in a pound of some bulk I like if I can. Now I have twenty pounds or so. Not a big backstock, but it will continue to grow. Likewise, I always get an extra box of primers or pound of Unique whenever I need something in that realm.

I experienced the same thing with reloading supplies. I'm glad the hysteria finally died down.

tiltjlp
03-23-2012, 20:33

Ed
Puff

Those are the folks I was talking about. Someone who is under doctor's orders to cut back or quit isn't who I was venting about at all.

Puff The Magic
03-23-2012, 21:56
Many sell/give away very nice "things". I know certain cobs i have multiples of (have a cob-ollection) i'll give away or make em better with a mod here and there....some of those i give away as well. Folks do or sell for many reasons. A non-smoker would do well imo to buy popular leaf and store/sitonnit for a while and then sell some nicely aged leaf for a fair price considering location and state of the market. I don't hold profit/speculation/investment value against them at all. I have bought from the flippers paying $70/8oz of Stonehaven when it sold for $22-25/0.5#! Doing that taught me the $50 lesson! Next time it comes around......get it then. If you wait an hour....it's gone! This seller/flipper was there at 2:30 am and bought their quota or allowable financially and made a profit, i got the leaf when it wasn't available. Is it heir fault? Was supply too short? Was demand to cellar strong so legit pipers bought a touch/TAD more? Very interesting how certain blends don't even make it to a b&m. Those are the ones sought and paid a pretty penny for!

I know down the road a piece, there'll be blends i'll wonder what was i thinking stocking this? But then even further, i may just be glad i did! Tastes change.

Wide, deep, & now!

Ed
Puff

Gunsmoke
03-24-2012, 00:15
I'm primarily a 1 bowl a day guy. Sometimes I get busy & don't smoke for a couple of days so I don't go through that much tobacco. I've seen the writing on the wall & don't wish to give up my hobby any time soon. So I have been stocking up lately. I have about 14# on hand of various blends & I figure at my current rate of consumption that should last me about 10 years. I don't see it as hording more like being prepared. I see interstate tobacco shipments being banned in most if the liberal states in the near future & taxes keep going up. This hobby of ours could easily be priced above what a lot of us can afford very soon. So I would say start stocking up. Like Ed has been saing. [U] DO IT NOW! [U/] I think Arnold said that.

Arkie_
03-24-2012, 01:01
I'm primarily a 1 bowl a day guy.

I admire your self restraint. I used to be a 1 pipe a day guy until the advent of e-tailers and the availability of all the wonderful blends. I can resist anything but temptation.

IrishRover
03-24-2012, 12:31
I wish I could afford to. I might get an order in once a year. The rest I pick up once in a while..

mike68
03-24-2012, 15:29
Those are the folks I was talking about. Someone who is under doctor's orders to cut back or quit isn't who I was venting about at all.

It does seem there are always "profiteers" doesn't it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk