PDA

View Full Version : The forum is spamming me!

Slowroll
07-09-2018, 14:16
For whatever reason, I'm getting over 100 notifications each morning for the forum's I'm subscribed to, all of which snnounce the same updates. I've tried unsubscribing, signing out, chsnging settings to no notifications, and still they keep piling in. Now, I love you folk and the post's, but I'm overwhelmed. Any hints?

dmcmtk
07-09-2018, 14:29
Scrennshot?

jimbo44
07-09-2018, 14:37
Try clicking on Forum Actions then General Settings (top toolbar) and see if your e-mail notification setting is on:

Default Thread Subscription Mode:

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

plugugly
07-09-2018, 14:40
Try clicking on Forum Actions then General Settings (top toolbar) and see if your e-mail notification setting is on:

When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

Jim, as Billy might say, "You know stuff!" :checkit::good:

jimbo44
07-09-2018, 14:43
Been doing it too long!

dmcmtk
07-09-2018, 14:43

It should look like this,

dmcmtk
07-09-2018, 14:47
My other question Steve, is do you also use tapatalk to interface with the forums you belong to?

Corndog
07-09-2018, 14:54
Been doing it too long!

:hysterical:

plugugly
07-09-2018, 14:56
Been doing it too long!

:rofl:

Slowroll
07-09-2018, 15:00
Thanks for replies gents. I have gone into settings and changed the default to no notifications /subscriptions, don't use tapatalk. Also tried ubsubscribibg to thread, but doesn't seem to work. This is particularly curious, because a few months ago I was getting no notifications at all, even though I we as subscibed. Then I started getting normal noticed, then it went to this notification flame.

dmcmtk
07-09-2018, 15:10
Steve, I changed a setting in your profile in the adminCP to: Subscribe with no notification. Let's see if that changes anything.

edit: Let me know what happens Steve, what I just did may work at cross purposes to the settings you just changed.

coalsmoke
07-09-2018, 15:19
Been doing it too long!

:laugh:

Piffyr
07-09-2018, 17:27
I've had this happen, but only when I add a subscription to updates from a particular section, not individual threads.

For example, I'm subscribed to the WIYP thread. I get a single email when someone posts a new comment to the thread since my last visit. No matter how many comments that thread gets, I won't get more notifications until I've logged into the site again.

I'm also subscribed to the repair and restoration section. When a new thread is created in that section or if an old thread is updated I'm supposed to get an email to notify me. It appears to this only once every 24 hours no matter whether I've logged in or not. If nothing is new or updated in the section, I don't get the email. The thing is, when there is new content in that section, I get at least a dozen of the same notification emails. The come in only minutes, or sometimes even seconds, apart and they all have the same content.

Personally, I don't have a big problem with it, which is why I've never mentioned it. I look at the first one, and then just bulk delete the rest. Easy and takes less than two seconds.

plugugly
07-09-2018, 17:41
I've had this happen, but only when I add a subscription to updates from a particular section, not individual threads.

For example, I'm subscribed to the WIYP thread. I get a single email when someone posts a new comment to the thread since my last visit. No matter how many comments that thread gets, I won't get more notifications until I've logged into the site again.

I'm also subscribed to the repair and restoration section. When a new thread is created in that section or if an old thread is updated I'm supposed to get an email to notify me. It appears to this only once every 24 hours no matter whether I've logged in or not. If nothing is new or updated in the section, I don't get the email. The thing is, when there is new content in that section, I get at least a dozen of the same notification emails. The come in only minutes, or sometimes even seconds, apart and they all have the same content.

Personally, I don't have a big problem with it, which is why I've never mentioned it. I look at the first one, and then just bulk delete the rest. Easy and takes less than two seconds.

Oh goody! :hurrah: Time to flood the WIYP thread with spam! :I-have-it::getting-evil::tease:

Sufficient protection, hopefully! LOL

Piffyr
07-09-2018, 17:58
Oh goody! :hurrah: Time to flood the WIYP thread with spam! :I-have-it::getting-evil::tease:
Weren't you doing that already?

plugugly
07-09-2018, 18:02
Weren't you doing that already?

A bit like Billy's obvious "auto" retort earlier, I knew you were going to say that, Anthony, and I am not an accredited 'people reader' LOL

BTW - watch out young man:

Piffyr
07-09-2018, 18:07
A bit like Billy's obvious "auto" retort earlier, I knew you were going to say that, Anthony, and I am not an accredited 'people reader' LOL

BTW - watch out young man:

I'm obviously not as sharp as you are today.

plugugly
07-09-2018, 18:10
I'm obviously not as sharp as you are today.

Is he dead yet, Anthony? The sun is beginning to set here!!! :scared::tease:

Piffyr
07-09-2018, 18:16
Is he dead yet, Anthony? The sun is beginning to set here!!! :scared::tease:
No worries, Chris. Just hang some haggis around your neck and you'll have nothing to fear ... from anyone.

plugugly
07-09-2018, 18:23
No worries, Chris. Just hang some haggis around your neck and you'll have nothing to fear ... from anyone.

:sharedlaugh:

Right then, I will need to revise tactics..........er.......don't know yet.

BillyPM
07-09-2018, 19:29
A bit like Billy's obvious "auto" retort earlier...

Hey. Just because I make it look easy doesn't mean it's not.

Slowroll
07-10-2018, 12:32
Steve, I changed a setting in your profile in the adminCP to: Subscribe with no notification. Let's see if that changes anything.

edit: Let me know what happens Steve, what I just did may work at cross purposes to the settings you just changed.

Thanks for trying something. Here's the day after your change and I still got over a hundred emails this morning within mostly minutes of each other.

Here's a screen shot of the notices from the sections.

https://s26.postimg.cc/z90cgy6ax/Screenshot_20180710-082737.jpg

Slowroll
07-10-2018, 12:37
Anthony -- all the repeats I get are from sections as well. If it were only a dozen or so I also wouldn 't care. But sometimes 150 of them is a bit wearing, since I have to scan all the email titles and Mark each of them for deletion to ensure no desirsble others are inadvertently deleted.

Piffyr
07-10-2018, 12:52
Anthony -- all the repeats I get are from sections as well. If it were only a dozen or so I also wouldn 't care. But sometimes 150 of them is a bit wearing, since I have to scan all the email titles and Mark each of them for deletion to ensure no desirsble others are inadvertently deleted.
Yeah, I understand how that can be a pain. It might be best to go with thread subscriptions for now. No such trouble there.

Slowroll
07-10-2018, 14:41
I'll plug that in Anthony and see what happens tomorrow.

coalsmoke
07-10-2018, 14:46
I'll plug that in Anthony and see what happens tomorrow.

Just don't break the forum, Steve! :laugh: I certainly hope that you get this straightened out.

Slowroll
07-10-2018, 14:52
Just don't break the forum, Steve! :laugh: I certainly hope that you get this straightened out.

I think the forum is more powerful than me :crying:

dmcmtk
07-10-2018, 14:56
I think the forum is more powerful than me :crying:

Steve, if there is anything I need to do, let me know. For the moment I'm going to hang back.