PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco Tax/Australia

VDL_PIPER
01-29-2019, 23:50
So its been a while since I have imported any tobacco but my need to fill the cellar and resupply with many of my favourites is fast approaching. A quick check of the Australian Tax Office informs me that they currently charge $1076.35 worth of tax on every kilogram of tobacco imported in addition to freight and purchase price. My mind is now working overtime on how best to run the gauntlet in a vain attempt for my order to be missed and pushed through as general freight. I'm now also curious to know what other countries tax smokers?, is Australia the most heavily taxed in the world?

Scottishgaucho
01-30-2019, 14:58
I feel your pain....despite what it states in the published rules here the customs bastardos impound everything sent from abroad. I tested the system a few years ago. I ordered 2 packets of loose tea from the British Corner Shop in the UK...total price including delivery came to well below the 20 limit they're supposed to allow you to receive. 8 months after the BCS had informed me my package had been dispatched I got a message from customs saying my package had been impounded, inspected and was now ready for me to collect in person from their office in Buenos Aires. Not only would I have to make a six hour round trip to the capital to wait a few hours in a queue I also had to cough up a release fee before they would hand it over.
I cursed for half an hour told my wife her country stank of corruption and gave up any idea of ordering some Condor. Quicker to fly over myself and buy it. :biggrin:

McGyver
01-30-2019, 16:20
So its been a while since I have imported any tobacco but my need to fill the cellar and resupply with many of my favourites is fast approaching. A quick check of the Australian Tax Office informs me that they currently charge $1076.35 worth of tax on every kilogram of tobacco imported in addition to freight and purchase price. My mind is now working overtime on how best to run the gauntlet in a vain attempt for my order to be missed and pushed through as general freight. I'm now also curious to know what other countries tax smokers?, is Australia the most heavily taxed in the world?

I read that and about choked on my coffee...:surprised:

They actually charge almost $1100.00 in taxes, tarriffs, what have you, to bring in 2.2 lbs of tobacco...Is that the price that they charge on Every tobacco import?

Like say I ran a tobacco shop and had to order more XYZ Flake or something from the States, I would be charged that on my order? Which means that I would have to in turn pass that cost on to my customers?

One pound is 453 grams according to the convert-o-matic on google. So that works out to $1.10 per gram. So a 50 gram tin would have a $55.00 charge added to it to help cover the import tax...

Now, does that also count against any tobacco purchased from British Commonwealth suppliers (i.e. England, Canada, etc) or does it just apply to non-Commonwealth countries? Please tell me they don't charge you guys that for ALL tobacco purchased in Australia...

Wow...That is just insane. There is no other explanation for it. The Australian government (or at least the ones in charge of taxing imports) have gone completely stark raving mad. The should all be committed to an institution...now.

Had I a good crew and a fast blockade runner, I would bring you a veritable bounty of tobacco...but until then, I hope that all will work out well.

(Had to edit it...after looking at my math, I had to change it...all good now, I think)

Brooklin Bill
01-30-2019, 18:02
These are the rates for bringing a foreign purchase back from outside Canada:

As of 12:01 a.m., March 29, 2018, the current tax rates are:
18.475 per cigarette
18.475 per gram or part gram of tobacco product other than cigarettes and cigars
56.6 per cent of the taxable price of a cigar.
Tobacco tax on a pack of 20 cigarettes equals $3.70, on a pack of 25 cigarettes equals $4.62 and on a carton of 200 cigarettes equals $36.95.

You are allowed 700 grams once a year free of tariff.

A packet of cigs cost ~$13 - $14. 2 oz pipe tins between $24 - $36. OTC 1.5 oz packets $19 - $22

Then you add another 13% sales tax.

VDL_PIPER
01-30-2019, 19:22
I read that and about choked on my coffee...:surprised:

They actually charge almost $1100.00 in taxes, tarriffs, what have you, to bring in 2.2 lbs of tobacco...Is that the price that they charge on Every tobacco import?

Like say I ran a tobacco shop and had to order more XYZ Flake or something from the States, I would be charged that on my order? Which means that I would have to in turn pass that cost on to my customers?

One pound is 453 grams according to the convert-o-matic on google. So that works out to $1.10 per gram. So a 50 gram tin would have a $55.00 charge added to it to help cover the import tax...

Now, does that also count against any tobacco purchased from British Commonwealth suppliers (i.e. England, Canada, etc) or does it just apply to non-Commonwealth countries? Please tell me they don't charge you guys that for ALL tobacco purchased in Australia...

Wow...That is just insane. There is no other explanation for it. The Australian government (or at least the ones in charge of taxing imports) have gone completely stark raving mad. The should all be committed to an institution...now.

Had I a good crew and a fast blockade runner, I would bring you a veritable bounty of tobacco...but until then, I hope that all will work out well.

(Had to edit it...after looking at my math, I had to change it...all good now, I think)

Hi Sonny, yeah you read it correctly and yes they calculate the tax by the gram so its pretty painful. I like to order quite a lot too so the cellar is full for a few years and I don't have to repeat this process to often, things we do for love :wink: I'm still trying to think of a creative way to slip through. A good mate said he had a small shipment come through mixed up with other stuff in general post so I'm thinking maybe break my order down and add other things into it. seems like there are repackaging/on forwarding services in the U.S so I will contact them. Split my order into 6, better to pay the tax on 3 small packages and get 3 through scenario and average it down or just foot the bill if they find it.

VDL_PIPER
01-30-2019, 19:26
I feel your pain....despite what it states in the published rules here the customs bastardos impound everything sent from abroad. I tested the system a few years ago. I ordered 2 packets of loose tea from the British Corner Shop in the UK...total price including delivery came to well below the 20 limit they're supposed to allow you to receive. 8 months after the BCS had informed me my package had been dispatched I got a message from customs saying my package had been impounded, inspected and was now ready for me to collect in person from their office in Buenos Aires. Not only would I have to make a six hour round trip to the capital to wait a few hours in a queue I also had to cough up a release fee before they would hand it over.
I cursed for half an hour told my wife her country stank of corruption and gave up any idea of ordering some Condor. Quicker to fly over myself and buy it. :biggrin:

Hey Crawford, thats what they do here. Hold it, send a letter and you pay online then they release it and it continues on. Worst part is the letter gets lost or delayed they destroy the package after a certain amount of time. So one needs to work fast once the letter is received!

VDL_PIPER
01-30-2019, 19:32
Just some insight for you all. These are current retail prices for a couple of popular pipe tobaccos.
Mac Barren
Vanilla Cream 50 gm $81.00
Plum Cake 50 gm $85.00
Cornell and Diehl
All tins are $95.00
Dunhill
EMP $91.00

VDL_PIPER
01-30-2019, 19:41
These are the rates for bringing a foreign purchase back from outside Canada:

As of 12:01 a.m., March 29, 2018, the current tax rates are:
18.475 per cigarette
18.475 per gram or part gram of tobacco product other than cigarettes and cigars
56.6 per cent of the taxable price of a cigar.
Tobacco tax on a pack of 20 cigarettes equals $3.70, on a pack of 25 cigarettes equals $4.62 and on a carton of 200 cigarettes equals $36.95.

You are allowed 700 grams once a year free of tariff.

A packet of cigs cost ~$13 - $14. 2 oz pipe tins between $24 - $36. OTC 1.5 oz packets $19 - $22

Then you add another 13% sales tax.

Bill I would take the 700gms annually free of tariff right now.

Scottishgaucho
01-30-2019, 20:16
Bill I would take the 700gms annually free of tariff right now.

I'm not sure what exact amount of tobacco you're allowed to personally bring into Argentina however I seem to recall it's quite generous. Cigarettes and the Argentine twist pipe tobacco I buy are both incredibly cheap here compared to the likes of the UK so I doubt many people bother. The problem seems to start when you import the ruddy stuff by post.

Scottishgaucho
01-30-2019, 20:27
Just some insight for you all. These are current retail prices for a couple of popular pipe tobaccos.
Mac Barren
Vanilla Cream 50 gm $81.00
Plum Cake 50 gm $85.00
Cornell and Diehl
All tins are $95.00
Dunhill
EMP $91.00

That is ridiculous....makes the prices here for the same blends look not too bad.

Tins of SG/GH/Dunhill/Peterson blends are around the same here as they are in the UK. Pouch tobacco however is a lot cheaper than the UK though. Thankfully you can also get a few SG blends which come in 50gr pouches and FVF is one of them. The pouches cost about 30% less than the tin.

Slowroll
01-31-2019, 15:55
I know a fellow in Oz who occasionally imports tobacco and gets away with it. But, you have to order from an outfit that doesn't have tobacco or smoking in their name, or send a customs form along. The 2 I know of are 4noggins and cup O' Joes .

VDL_PIPER
02-01-2019, 05:45
I know a fellow in Oz who occasionally imports tobacco and gets away with it. But, you have to order from an outfit that doesn't have tobacco or smoking in their name, or send a customs form along. The 2 I know of are 4noggins and cup O' Joes .

Thanks Steve, its a great idea and I have sent emails to both asking about how they send packages and what paperwork they send too. Great heads up, could save me thousands!

Slowroll
02-03-2019, 15:32
Good luck, hope it works out.

VDL_PIPER
02-28-2019, 02:18
Hi guys, been a while but the work load keeps coming before the onset of our winter. Anyways a small order has been placed with cupojoes out of the good ole U.S of A. A cheeky plan has been hatched with their help and this is the test run to see how we go. So some Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Special Reserve, Orlik GS and Mr Peaces Stonehenge Flake. The whole order including shipping cost $68. The same order here in Australia would cost $370 and I cant buy those tobaccos here anyway. So the savings Vs the risk are well worth it! Finger crossed 🤞 I also just received a email telling me that the Aussie Tax man is going to raise duties on tobacco a further 3% as of the 1st of March, this is just more incentive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VDL_PIPER
03-19-2019, 00:32
So it is with heavy heart that I report that my Tobacco purchase was intercepted by the Tax Man and at a heavy cost 😞https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190319/d37b8cc3dddb95e30449d6caf2ab287a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PyrateMate
03-19-2019, 01:45
Aye Lads, Blast the Blighters to Hell!!!!! :diablo::diablo: 58545 58546 58547 58548 58549

Damn the Nanny State!!

This is both depressing and enraging. Seems like everyday a new assault is taking place on what we enjoy...

VDL_PIPER
03-19-2019, 02:02
No end in sight either John, they just gouge us all a little more with the passing of time under the premise that they know best!

Scottishgaucho
03-19-2019, 02:41
So it is with heavy heart that I report that my Tobacco purchase was intercepted by the Tax Man

Sorry to hear that Paul. :doubledown:
I suspect the charges/fines here would be in the same range hence why I refuse to chance it.

VDL_PIPER
03-19-2019, 23:49
Its really worth trying Crawford, I will persist as I love smoking my pipe and the pleasure it brings on a daily basis is truly special.

Scottishgaucho
03-20-2019, 00:06
Its really worth trying Crawford, I will persist as I love smoking my pipe and the pleasure it brings on a daily basis is truly special.

I don't blame you Paul....I'd also love to have Condor and St Bruno but the problem here is they impound it and force you travel to Buenos Aires to collect and pay the taxes on your package which is the ridiculous part of the whole process. Out of interest how much on average did 50gr of tobacco end up costing you?

VDL_PIPER
03-20-2019, 00:31
I don't blame you Paul....I'd also love to have Condor and St Bruno but the problem here is they impound it and force you travel to Buenos Aires to collect and pay the taxes on your package which is the ridiculous part of the whole process. Out of interest how much on average did 50gr of tobacco end up costing you?

The total for a 50gm tin is $82.66 with freight and all charges. To buy local would cost $92.00 + freight, so still a saving. I am going to try again with just 1 tin and see what happens, if that works it will be a game of averages Crawford.

VDL_PIPER
03-20-2019, 00:35
I should add that the same 50gm tin without the Australian Tax applied is $21.96 AUD landed at my door!

Scottishgaucho
03-20-2019, 00:39
That's a lot!! I pay around the same as UK prices for a 50gr tin of Samuel Gawith in Buenos Aires.

VDL_PIPER
03-20-2019, 00:45
Australia is really trying hard to ban smoking all together. You can't smoke indoors anywhere now and large parts of public outdoor areas are banned too. Malls, parks, playgrounds the list goes on and on. They blanket ban whole sections of most CBD's now!

Scottishgaucho
03-20-2019, 01:15
Although not as bad the same thing is happening even here Paul.

Tax on tobacco products has increased a lot over recent years although non imported products still remain very cheap. A 20 packet of cigs are around 1.50.

VDL_PIPER
03-20-2019, 01:40
How's your weather Crawford, Autumn yet or still flirting with Summer

VDL_PIPER
04-23-2019, 07:27
So it appears that my love of smoking a pipe is slowly coming to a end, a forced state not voluntary. It will soon be illegal to import tobacco without a license here in Australia so my much loved tobaccos will soon be unobtainable through the stroke of a politicians pen. Im gutted to be honest, such a simple pleasure taken away.59355

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scottishgaucho
04-23-2019, 12:37
So it appears that my love of smoking a pipe is slowly coming to a end, a forced state not voluntary. It will soon be illegal to import tobacco without a license here in Australia so my much loved tobaccos will soon be unobtainable through the stroke of a politicians pen. Im gutted to be honest, such a simple pleasure taken away.

And I thought I had it bad here with the choice of baccy available. Now I don't feel so bad after seeing this.
Seem to remember you have some very strict alcohol laws as well? What's going on? :doubledown:

coalsmoke
04-23-2019, 12:52
This is a travesty! :shout: What's available to buy inside of the country, Paul? Would it be possible to grow your own tobacco?

Scottishgaucho
04-23-2019, 13:06
Would it be possible to grow your own tobacco?

Yeah good idea Russ. After experiencing just how easy it is to grow tobacco I'm planning on producing some Virginia this year. Virginia does seem to be more versatile and easier to process than the other varieties.

Corndog
04-23-2019, 13:44
Always hate to hear things like this. Times like these I'm thankful for my decent cellar.

Growing it should be easy enough. Processing, curing, and the whole art of getting into a pipe for an enjoyable smoking experience is the key.

VDL_PIPER
04-23-2019, 21:33
This is a travesty! :shout: What's available to buy inside of the country, Paul? Would it be possible to grow your own tobacco?

Russ, growing your own has really heavy penalties, I'm pretty sure its $100's of thousands of dollars fine and jail time for growing or possession of seeds. With regard to whats available, well its limited. We only have 2 reputable tobacconist in the whole country now that I'm aware of, both in Melbourne and the tax added to the product plus a margin makes holding stock a very costly exercise I would think.

VDL_PIPER
04-23-2019, 21:37
And I thought I had it bad here with the choice of baccy available. Now I don't feel so bad after seeing this.
Seem to remember you have some very strict alcohol laws as well? What's going on? :doubledown:

Haha Crawford, don't think any where is like Australia on tobacco. Alcohol is slowly being taxed higher but its done on alcohol volume. So I have read where the micro breweries making really good beer and spirits are being taxed to oblivion because their products have higher alcohol content.

VDL_PIPER
04-23-2019, 21:42
Always hate to hear things like this. Times like these I'm thankful for my decent cellar.

Growing it should be easy enough. Processing, curing, and the whole art of getting into a pipe for an enjoyable smoking experience is the key.

Cellaring is the key Corndog, I wished mine was deeper but more importantly to others, fill it up whilst you can!

Shaunc
07-03-2019, 07:30
And the new laws came in a few days ago. Anyone caught importing tobacco by mail risks a possible 10years prison sentence.
Unbelievable from a pipe smoker to a criminal with the stroke of a pen.

VDL_PIPER
08-07-2019, 00:55
Hey Shaun, yes its getting tough. They are legalising drugs and criminalising simple pleasures!!

etecjon
08-09-2019, 02:09
Sorry for the language use but, that's fucking crazy!!!!!!

Jon :news::news::smoking2::smoking2::news::news:

McGyver
08-12-2019, 15:11
So let me get this straight...If you go to say, Joe's tobacco and plumbing shop online, order a pound (or what have you) of pipe tobacco, and they ship it to you in Australia via mail (be it postal, UPS, FedEx, or any other shipping service), you could be found guilty of importing tobacco and sentenced to PRISON for up to 10 years?

Are your politicians importing other smoke-able substances and hot-boxing Parliament? And I thought only our politicians were certifiable.

I do feel for you guys. So basically, you can only get pipe tobacco (or what have you) either from a B&M store, or it has to be purchased from an online store that is IN Australia and has already imported that tobacco. That way, they can then pass the taxes along to the customer, along with any other fees they deem necessary. Or is it strictly a "You have to go the the shop and purchase what they have available" type thing?

Either way, it bloody sucks.

Shaunc
08-16-2019, 10:33
So let me get this straight...If you go to say, Joe's tobacco and plumbing shop online, order a pound (or what have you) of pipe tobacco, and they ship it to you in Australia via mail (be it postal, UPS, FedEx, or any other shipping service), you could be found guilty of importing tobacco and sentenced to PRISON for up to 10 years?

Are your politicians importing other smoke-able substances and hot-boxing Parliament? And I thought only our politicians were certifiable.

I do feel for you guys. So basically, you can only get pipe tobacco (or what have you) either from a B&M store, or it has to be purchased from an online store that is IN Australia and has already imported that tobacco. That way, they can then pass the taxes along to the customer, along with any other fees they deem necessary. Or is it strictly a "You have to go the the shop and purchase what they have available" type thing?

Either way, it bloody sucks.

Yeah, that's correct. You either buy from a B&M, the one that's closest to me stocks erinmore flake and macbarens mixture and in all honesty that's probably the only 2 decent tobaccoss available to me at about $AUD80/50 gram. There's a better choice available online that sell for about the same price but you have to factor post into the equation.
It's bloody disgusting and talking about it just makes me angry and upset. I know that all you blokes mean well but whinging and bitching about it on this forum won't change anything and it's only going to take the enjoyment out of your pipes.