PDA

View Full Version : Peterson Donegal Rocky 120 -- 50s/60s (?)

Tony Malerich
04-01-2012, 01:45
Hey, all! First off, thanks much for the warm welcomes all over the forum. I tend to go through my various hobbies in phases, but I've been stuck on pipes for a while now and am really yearning for more pipe-type-contact! Anywho...

I recently had an old Donegal Rocky come my way. It seems a very nice pipe, but I'm just not all that fond of the finish. I like this better than the current Rocky, but still I think this pipe could find a more appreciative home.

Here's what I can tell... It's definitely a post-Republic but the finish is not at all like the current Rocky style (though the black/red sort of two tone is still there) hence thinking 50s/60s. The stem is, I suspect, a replacement. I cleaned it up as best I was able, but I couldn't quite get the very forceful tooth indentations out near the lip. As such, there's a bit of oxidation showing there. I've cleaned up the bowl quite nicely and even seem have a bit of sheen on it again. The bowl itself does appear to have been overreamed -- there are a few gouges on the sides -- but the draw is good and it smokes quite well (I had to try a couple bowls). I'm fairly sure this is a nickel band as I can't find even an indication that there once was a silver hallmark on it. There's a small indention in the band on the underside. As to the stamping, it's worn but generally legible. One can figure most out, but I'd say it's 20% very clear, 20% fading, another 20% barely readable in the right light, and the rest pretty well illegible. It fades out as you go to the right toward the stem. That said, the stamping is as such:

120 "DONEGAL"
ROCKY
"A PETERSON (something)"
MADE IN THE REPUBLIC
OF IRELAND

I'm really not sure what to ask, so send me an offer if you're interested.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3174095/donegal1.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3174095/donegal2.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3174095/donegal3.JPG

Puff The Magic
04-01-2012, 04:52
That's a very handsome pipe! I feel the Donegal you have is better than the rustication done on current line. Regardless of bowl maladies, as long as that draw isn't muk'd with, she'll smoke like a Pete! Enjoy! ;)

Ed
Puff

IrishRover
04-01-2012, 12:55
Oh I like the look of that Donegal... nice looking pipe for sure!

Jesla
04-01-2012, 13:44
......never saw a gouge that a little mud wouldn't cover.

Tony Malerich
04-01-2012, 14:26
......never saw a gouge that a little mud wouldn't cover.

Literally or is this a pipe term I don't know? :D

Jesla
04-01-2012, 14:40
...pipe mud?.....

Jesla
04-01-2012, 14:40
some ash and spit...mixed to almost a putty....

Paul
04-01-2012, 15:54
Definitely prefer this version of their rustication compared to what is being used now...but alas, not one of my fav shapes...hope you're able to find a buyer for it.

Tony Malerich
04-02-2012, 00:05
Definitely prefer this version of their rustication compared to what is being used now...but alas, not one of my fav shapes...hope you're able to find a buyer for it.

Yeah, I did see the lot you just cleared out and there wasn't anything too reminiscent of this shape! Hopefully there's a buyer out there, but really... the more that I worked on this the more I've found I wouldn't be too heartbroken. Especially after smoking a bowl, it smoked REALLY nice. (Honest admission and shameless plug rolled into one!)

Wyatt James
04-02-2012, 00:08
Pretty nice looking pipe. DOnt have much in the ways of that shape.....:confused: Thinking

Rockaholic
04-02-2012, 03:02
Nice looking pipe, a buyer will show up soon, possibly me :torn:

Tony Malerich
04-03-2012, 03:41
It's definitely still available if either of you gents are interested

Tony Malerich
04-25-2012, 02:13
Been a while so just giving this a bump!