PDA

View Full Version : Falcons Have Landed

WVDAVE
04-24-2012, 21:25
Just received these form a great trade with Johnny.
The picture doesn't do them justice.
I would definitively trade with Johnny again. He went over and beyond the parameters of this trade. In fact all the trades I've had on this forum have been great. Johnny is a stand up guy and a pleasure to deal with.

Markw4mms
04-24-2012, 21:40
Congrats Dave! I'm looking forward to adding a Falcon or two to my collection as well.

Paul
04-24-2012, 21:46
Congrats on a successful trade :) ! Enjoy them falcons :) !

Catman
09-20-2016, 10:15
These just flew in through my door....

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160920/b94363aee401f468b0b32d20c5078654.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HCraven
09-20-2016, 10:26
A beautiful pair, Catman! Are these brand new? We don't seem to be getting the little Falcon emblem stamped on our bits on this side of the pond.

When you get a chance, you might look at some of the larger bowls. I love my Dover bowl, but it's easily the least capacious of the bowls I own.

allyby
09-20-2016, 10:30
A beautiful pair, Catman! Are these brand new? We don't seem to be getting the little Falcon emblem stamped on our bits on this side of the pond.

When you get a chance, you might look at some of the larger bowls. I love my Dover bowl, but it's easily the least capacious of the bowls I own.
Chris Askwith had some very reasonable Morta Bowls, but sadly he's sold out now, I'm keeping my eye open in case he gets more made.

http://www.askwithpipes.com/handmade.html

HCraven
09-20-2016, 10:32
Chris Askwith had some very reasonable Morta Bowls, but sadly he's sold out now, I'm keeping my eye open in case he gets more made.

http://www.askwithpipes.com/handmade.html

Thanks for the heads up, Ally. I'd love to get a morta bowl for mine.

Catman
09-20-2016, 10:33

Thanks Herb, yes they're brand new and I just had to have at least one in my armoury for the Condor that also arrived today.

I actually went for the Dover bowls because the spec detailed them as being the largest bowls available.

HCraven
09-20-2016, 10:48
Well, they're probably the most massive bowls available. Without getting into the more expensive "Classic" bowls, the Genoa (similar to, but larger than the Apple) is quite a good sized bowl for the money.

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with the Dover bowl, and I have enjoyed many good smokes in mine. I just wouldn't want you to think all Falcon bowls were small. It's a common misconception / complaint among people who don't smoke them, but the truth is you can get quite a range of sizes, from the miniature Bantam / Coffee Break bowls up to the very large Classic bowls, like the Hyperbole and Istanbul.

jimbo44
09-20-2016, 11:10
....or even these special order huge chimneys (picture from GQ):

Catman
09-20-2016, 12:00
Well, they're probably the most massive bowls available. Without getting into the more expensive "Classic" bowls, the Genoa (similar to, but larger than the Apple) is quite a good sized bowl for the money.

Seriously, though, there's nothing wrong with the Dover bowl, and I have enjoyed many good smokes in mine. I just wouldn't want you to think all Falcon bowls were small. It's a common misconception / complaint among people who don't smoke them, but the truth is you can get quite a range of sizes, from the miniature Bantam / Coffee Break bowls up to the very large Classic bowls, like the Hyperbole and Istanbul.

I appreciate your thoughts Herb and I'll see how I go but I guess that's the beauty of the Falcon is that if you want to you can change bowls in a second.

Catman
09-20-2016, 12:00

Jeez!!😳

Catman
09-20-2016, 13:26
I was just wondering who does or doesn't use the Dry Rings that go in the 'Humidome' of the pipe to collect any unwanted residue?

allyby
09-20-2016, 13:41
I got a pack free with a tobacco order and tried them, they do keep the bowl drier, don't think they improve the smoke quality though, I always use a paper tissue to clean the bowl after every smoke, don't buy those rings just cut up a pipe cleaner and roll in to shape,

Catman
09-20-2016, 13:49
I got a pack free with a tobacco order and tried them, they do keep the bowl drier, don't think they improve the smoke quality though, I always use a paper tissue to clean the bowl after every smoke, don't buy those rings just cut up a pipe cleaner and roll in to shape,

Thanks Ally and as I thought, so I'll probably do the same and go without them but just give the bowl a good wipe out and clean after each smoke.

Piffyr
09-20-2016, 14:41

Ooooh! I dig those chimneys!

I was just wondering who does or doesn't use the Dry Rings that go in the 'Humidome' of the pipe to collect any unwanted residue?
You can trim a standard pipe cleaner to make your own. Just form it into a semi-circle and leave a gap at the draft hole.

Catman
09-20-2016, 14:52
You can trim a standard pipe cleaner to make your own. Just form it into a semi-circle and leave a gap at the draft hole.

Do you use them or just go without?

Piffyr
09-20-2016, 14:58
Do you use them or just go without?
Usually, I just go without. A couple of flakes, like Ennerdale, tend to generate a lot of moisture no matter how much I dry them. So, I try to use one with those blends when I think about it.

Catman
09-20-2016, 15:13
Usually, I just go without.

That's what I'll be doing.

Brooklin Bill
09-20-2016, 16:39
Great tips Ally & Anthony, thank you. This is new to me .....and someone said about old dogs is ? I will try it and I have two pipes in mind (packed at the mioment) that might be rescued.

McGyver
09-20-2016, 17:00
Okay, I have to ask...having never held or smoked one of the Falcons, doesn't the aluminum get as hot as the Turkey Feathers on an F-15 on full afterburner?

The first time I saw a picture of one, all I could think of was some guy, standing around wearing an expensive smoking jacket looking like James Bond, Falcon in hand...and the hand wearing an oven mitt from the kitchen. ;)

I guess they don't get that hot, as I have seen pipes that are almost completely made of aluminum...but it just seems an odd material to craft into a pipe.

Piffyr
09-20-2016, 17:45
Okay, I have to ask...having never held or smoked one of the Falcons, doesn't the aluminum get as hot as the Turkey Feathers on an F-15 on full afterburner?

The first time I saw a picture of one, all I could think of was some guy, standing around wearing an expensive smoking jacket looking like James Bond, Falcon in hand...and the hand wearing an oven mitt from the kitchen. ;)

I guess they don't get that hot, as I have seen pipes that are almost completely made of aluminum...but it just seems an odd material to craft into a pipe.
Not at all, Sonny. The embers are contained within the briar bowl. The only direct contact they can possibly have with the aluminum is at the small nipple (glad Chris isn't here) that sits beneath the draft hole in the bowl. That contact is minuscule if at all. The humidome (the cup that the bowl threads into) can get a little warm, maybe even hot if you really puff at it, but the rest of the pipe stays cool. That's kind of the beauty of it. Metal dissipates heat much faster than wood. So, the aluminum cools the smoke before it reaches the stem.

HCraven
09-21-2016, 11:58
I don't often use the Dry Rings, (and when I do, I fashion my own) but they can be helpful when the ride gets bumpy, as it were.

If you smoke a Falcon more than a few times, you'll soon find that it's best to remove the bowl before tipping your ash and dottle, lest you wind up with all the moisture and nastiness from the trap on the underside of the briar bowl. Still, in the beginning, instinct will kick in and you'll occasionally forget.

Or if you're like me, maybe you keep a windcap with you so you can seal up a half smoked pipe and stick it in your pocket to DGT later. Again, you might forget to empty the trap before you put it away, and maybe even wind up with pipe juice in your pocket.

Dry Rings, while not perfect, can go a long way toward containing the mess in those situations. I can't say they really improve the experience of smoking the pipe, but they can reduce the already minimal effort needed to clean it up.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

Catman
09-22-2016, 18:59
I don't often use the Dry Rings, (and when I do, I fashion my own) but they can be helpful when the ride gets bumpy, as it were.

If you smoke a Falcon more than a few times, you'll soon find that it's best to remove the bowl before tipping your ash and dottle, lest you wind up with all the moisture and nastiness from the trap on the underside of the briar bowl. Still, in the beginning, instinct will kick in and you'll occasionally forget.

Or if you're like me, maybe you keep a windcap with you so you can seal up a half smoked pipe and stick it in your pocket to DGT later. Again, you might forget to empty the trap before you put it away, and maybe even wind up with pipe juice in your pocket.

Dry Rings, while not perfect, can go a long way toward containing the mess in those situations. I can't say they really improve the experience of smoking the pipe, but they can reduce the already minimal effort needed to clean it up.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

Thanks for the useful pointers Herb and for being as helpful as ever, much appreciated!👍😃

Markus1970
09-23-2016, 17:21
Hello,

I do occasionally get a bit of heat in the portion of aluminium below the bowl, but not more, rather less, than the side of a Briar bowl can become.

I always use clipped pieces of a cleaner in the bottom to the bowl, on top of the very absorbant filter crystals in the bowl, and couldn't imagine going without because of the juices. For the leakage reasons others have mentioned, I also try to avoid smoking a Falcon when I'm not sure that I'll finish it in one go. For DGTing while on the move, which I regularly do, a regular briar billiard with a pipe sock seems to me to be the better solution.

Best wishes
Markus

St. Bernhardt
09-26-2016, 11:27
Very nice Falcon pipes! Enjoy them!