PDA

View Full Version : A beefeater of a smoke

Whalehead King
05-01-2012, 01:53
It's been about 6 months since I last sampled my tin of Samuel Gawith's Black XX Fnest Kendall Twist. During these six months, I've been in my usual rut of SWRA bowl after bowl, once in a while I pack some other aromatic for a brief interlude. Sometimes I smoke Walnut over the course of an evening. Last night, I chose to savor something a little headier with a glass of dry white wine. It was a perfect pairing.

When I lit up the bowl of Black XX, after all the preparation required: slicing, cutting, rubbing, packing with care, my wife sat bolt upright. "What is that?" she asked. I brought the tin over, not showing her the label and not unfolding the foil inside the box to give up the game, just cracking the lid and giving her a whiff of the raw tobacco. "That's the one that looks like a piece of s***," she said immediately.

"Forget what it looks like," I suggested. "How does it smell?"

"It's not my favorite," she answered. "When you open the Sir Walter Raleigh it's like smelling one of your daydreams. When you smoke Sir Walter Raleigh, it's like chocolate and good things. This s*** rope is something else altogether. I don't think I like it." Remember, my tobacco of choice is SWRA, not the regular SWR, which is another animal altogether. My wife didn't actually say, "Sir Walther Raleigh," she just pointed at the ever-present tin by my side and said, "that one."

The Double XX is something else altogether. There is nothing ethereal about it. It is like a brisket on an open pit of mesquite in Memphis, TN, and I mean this in the best of all possible ways. It was hard to keep lit, probably because I didn't dry it enough. The ash cap turned to a briquet in the bowl, but relit easily. The taste, from this smoker's perspective was a joy on the palette. It is a nice treat when I'm in the mood, earthy and as rich as loam.

Black XX is not for the timid. In my opinion, this is only a daily smoke for gentlemen and ladies who want to put hair on their chests. If any tobacco can be judged for its robustness, this one gets a ribbon, whether blue, red or yellow is up to the judge. It certainly gets more than an honorable mention.

Before my wife went to bed, she had to admit that the room note wasn't all that bad. "Just don't smoke this one all the time," she said. I assured her that I reserve it for special occasions, when the mood hits. It was a memorable experience that I will repeat a few months from now. Black XX is a good tobacco.

Smoke in good health,
WK

olderthandirt
05-01-2012, 02:11
..."That's the one that looks like a piece of s***," she said immediately.
... LOL, My wife's words as well (-:
Perfect analogy to a brisket WK, and agreed, it's a once in awhile smoke for me as well but it does taste good when I do have some!

IrishRover
05-01-2012, 10:16
Nice write up. Your wife's reactions seem to go inline with the way my wife reacts.. except to all of the tobacco I smoke. I don't think she's found one yet that she likes the room note of. Or, maybe my rooms are just too small
:rolleyes:

Markw4mms
05-01-2012, 12:25
Nice write up, WK! I've never had that one, but it does sound like something I'd enjoy.

Bob
05-01-2012, 12:46
XX is one of my favorites!

Arkie_
05-01-2012, 13:35
My wife had the same reaction to tambalaka.

I'm afraid to try anything with the name "Kendall" for fear it will have that distinctive Lakeland casing.

cobbsmoker
05-01-2012, 14:17
Nice write up WK but those rope tobaccos scare the hell out of me! lol

Puff The Magic
05-01-2012, 18:38
Still have yet to burn some XX Black Rope "catturd" but Brown Bogie and an occasional bowl of Tambo is it for me so far. Got a tin of XX awaiting calling.....just getting in shape to really enjoyin' this blackrope!

Ed
Puff......still respectful ;)

Whalehead King
05-01-2012, 23:59
Nice write up. Your wife's reactions seem to go inline with the way my wife reacts.. except to all of the tobacco I smoke. I don't think she's found one yet that she likes the room note of. Or, maybe my rooms are just too small
:rolleyes:
We were actually on the back porch. Lit pipes are generally verboten indoors, though I do test the jurisdiction in select zones when the occasion calls for it. It isn't a battle I choose to pick very often, so I am granted amnesty most of the time.
WK

Whalehead King
05-02-2012, 00:01
Nice write up WK but those rope tobaccos scare the hell out of me! lol

Me too!! They are very intimidating. I approach with caution, but I've grown to like this one very much in moderation.

Etph3030
05-05-2012, 21:41
This is not one I choose for flavor by any means. But I am currently giving it another try to gain some appreciation. To me, it's like an overly black peppered burnt stick of licorice.

Having one heck of a time keeping this rolling though. I did let this dry quite a bit too. Any tips you could provide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olderthandirt
05-05-2012, 22:57
Having one heck of a time keeping this rolling though. I did let this dry quite a bit too. Any tips you could provide?
FWIW, I cut thin coins, quarter those, rub out thoroughly and let dry just North of crispy.
Anything short of that and I can't keep it lit either.

Dondi7
05-05-2012, 23:43
WK, how would it compare to something I've already tasted, e.g. Ten Russians or Condor?

mike68
05-06-2012, 00:30
$h1t-rope?! I like it..having smoked dog-rockets,maggot gaggers and horse manure I think a good s*** rope is right up my alley! =-O

Whalehead King
05-06-2012, 00:32
WK, how would it compare to something I've already tasted, e.g. Ten Russians or Condor?
I've never had either of these. My taste in tobacco doesn't vary much and I am not much of an experimenter. Unfortunately, I have never had anything like this one before that I can compare it too. Of course, this might be useful information in itself.

Jaysin
05-26-2012, 03:42
Sounds like a good smoke