PDA

View Full Version : Hamborger Veermaster: Anyone Know What's What?

olderthandirt
05-07-2012, 17:12
Awhile back I tried HV and was totally wowed by it. I could easily see this as an all day every day smoke but....

Availability!

It ain't?

I sent a query to danpipe.de asking if HV was still in production and if so when we in the states might see it again.
The initial response stated I could buy Dan Tobacco at... listed some of the standard stateside vendors.

2nd email and I thanked Ms. Sousa but could she specifically address my question regarding HV.
Just got a response from another fella at danpipe.de, he's telling me they have not had any orders from there "temporary" distributor KRETEK but I could order from their store in Germany online.

Hmmm.

Has anyone here heard what's what with the import of HV to the states? Any insider knowledge as it were?
Always seems to be the case, find somethin' ya like and can't get any more of it! )-:

Puff The Magic
05-07-2012, 20:27
You can get it internationally and go from there. Didn't Dan lose it's US distributor and i guess no one has taken the ball. As an individual, you can order and pay by the sites required payment. Into US, you can ship in 25# without customs batting much of an eye. So you can become a mini-distributor if you so choose....or just stock up!

Your State may have issues esp if the port is in-state....

Ed
Puff

olderthandirt
05-07-2012, 20:40
I'd make a bad "mini-distributor" Ed.
Smoke the profit and all (-:

I have as yet to ask any of the vendors I purchase from, s'pose that's the next step.

Puff The Magic
05-07-2012, 21:18
Order direct, and get it if ya want it!

USD is still good. Conversion & shipping sux! ;).

Get it!

Ed
Puff

cobbsmoker
05-07-2012, 22:36
When I read posts like this it just re-enforces the decision I made a couple of years ago to "buy American"! Plenty of American pipe and tobacco companies to do business with here at home, there is never a shortage of the tobaccos I like, and I like that most of all! :encouragement:

Markw4mms
05-07-2012, 23:07
Let me know if you do plan to order from Germany. I'll try to set aside some funds and go in with you on it. Maybe you can get a few others to buy in as well, and buy enough to get a good rate on it. The biggest thing is finding out the maximum you can get without causing a real headache with customs/taxes.

Johnny Reb
05-08-2012, 00:01
If you do order..I'm in for a lb...thanks

olderthandirt
05-08-2012, 00:41
I wouldn't know where to begin with respect to ordering direct.
I've looked at the danpipe website and come up with around $82 for 500g. Shipping not figured in there.

As for buying American, hell I'm all for it! Any suggestions of something comparable to HV that's manufactured in the US?

Puff The Magic
05-08-2012, 00:45
I agree with Cobbsmoker though, but I will add, there are many American va's AND non-American va's readily available now.

But if y'er cravin' the Veermaster......;)

Sorry to make a gloomy picture even gloomier but, i saw the writing on the wall a couple of years ago and between Telltime & meself, we snagged the last pound bags I knew of then. Still have a standing "pre-order" through P&C for 12 tins for the past 18 months and still no word.

If it's available, and the shipping and exchange rate isn't punitive, Get It!

Just for curiositys sake, what would you give up for a sealed pound bag? 2 pounds?

Ed
Puff

Ed
Puff

Markw4mms
05-08-2012, 00:51
Man, that is tempting...not sure how much it would be worth, but I'd love to be sitting on a pound or two of HV!

olderthandirt
05-08-2012, 00:51
Right now probably not what it's worth Ed.
My introduction came from a local B&M a while back, paid what, $3.37 an ounce if I remember correctly. Snagged up the last 8oz they had!

So what writing on the wall? Overall nannyism's impeding international trade?

Paul
05-08-2012, 01:00
Ya know, if you find it in Germany, lemme know, I have a bit of a work around with relatives living over there. I can't promise, but I may be able to get it shipped to their German address (saving shipping) or depending where in Germany, may even get them to do a road trip (they owe me a few favors)...and then they can just mail to the US via their APO box...and judging by some of the stuff I've seen shipped to and from APO boxes, seems as though customs doesn't check much military mail.

olderthandirt
05-08-2012, 01:11
Oh, it's avalable right now Paul, HV in DE (http://www.danpipe.de/Pfeifen-Tabak-Hamburger-Pfeifentabak-Hamborger-Veermaster-P_15437.html).
hehe, IR poor.... )-;

Puff The Magic
05-08-2012, 01:16
What store in DE? What is their pricing? Tins? Bulk bags?

APO shipping would be reasonable too. Unfortunately, the purchase would still be their price with their "nanny (ninny) taxes".

The writing on the wall was Dan lost it's USA Distributor and no replacement forthcoming.....that was ~2009/early2010. So i went lookin'! ;)

Ed
Puff

cobbsmoker
05-08-2012, 01:19
I wouldn't know where to begin with respect to ordering direct.
I've looked at the danpipe website and come up with around $82 for 500g. Shipping not figured in there.

As for buying American, hell I'm all for it! Any suggestions of something comparable to HV that's manufactured in the US?

I cannot think of something close to HV at the moment... let me ponder for awhile?

olderthandirt
05-08-2012, 01:20
Listed on the danpipe website HERE (http://www.danpipe.de/Pfeifen-Tabak-Hamburger-Pfeifentabak-Hamborger-Veermaster-P_15437.html)

ETA
Ponder away cobbsmoker, please!
FWIW, FVF did absolutely nuthin' for me, OGS is way too sweet.
Even though it's different, LNF is "similar" to my taster.

Paul
05-08-2012, 01:22
What store in DE? What is their pricing? Tins? Bulk bags?

APO shipping would be reasonable too. Unfortunately, the purchase would still be their price with their "nanny (ninny) taxes".

The writing on the wall was Dan lost it's USA Distributor and no replacement forthcoming.....that was ~2009/early2010. So i went lookin'! ;)

Ed
Puff

Well the one nice thing, according to OTD's link, it's free shipping inside of Germany...and APO shipping is essentially USPS rates, but unfortunately my relatives aren't near this store :( !

Etph3030
05-08-2012, 01:33

I've never had HV, so I couldn't tell you what is comparable to that specific flavor. But for straight VA blends I have enjoyed the following quite a bit:

McC Blakeney's Best "Tawny Flake"
McC Club Blend "Epitome"
C&D "Opening Night"

Puff The Magic
05-08-2012, 01:43
I checked another Dan listing in DE and msrp is ~$15/50gm tin. Normal sell price ~$12 but they're Out of Stock!

I could be convinced to let a pound go bye-byes for the right trade of course! PM me if you're serious ;)

Ed
Puff

Markw4mms
05-08-2012, 01:46
Well, keep me up to date on this. Like I said, I'd be willing to try to contribute to an order if you do decide to go for it.

olderthandirt
05-08-2012, 14:54
Queries for the inside scoop have been sent to P&C and Smoking Pipes. Will see.

The writing on the wall was Dan lost it's USA Distributor and no replacement forthcoming...Indeed. The one reply I got from Dan Tobacco referred to issues with their "temporary" distributor KRETEK.
Other DTM products seem to be making their way here though?

...But for straight VA blends I have enjoyed the following quite a bit:

McC Blakeney's Best "Tawny Flake"
McC Club Blend "Epitome"
C&D "Opening Night"Oh.
I've a jar of Opening Night that's been put back for about 2 years. Didn't do much for me initially but I s'pose I should revisit it.
The McC Va's you cite have given me another thought, my quota for the day, I should contact McC's and C&D and get their thoughts on what may be a similar taste profile to HV!

Puff The Magic
05-08-2012, 16:01
Yet another affirmation to cellar leaf you like when you can before the window closes!

I sort of got in as the wind'er was shuttin' and acted fast! Missed many other opportunities for other greats when they arrived (like Stonehaven....so i ended up paying super premium pricing) because sellout occurs in just a few hours. HV was on the shelves for a while but nowhere now. Hope it does come back over here.

Ed
Puff

cobbsmoker
05-08-2012, 16:14

OTD, Have you ever tried any of the Iwan Ries Virginias? They have four, Virginia Flake (mild), 2010 Flake (med), 2035 Flake (full) and IRC slices which is a Va/Perique.

Puff The Magic
05-08-2012, 16:24
Although not a pure va flake, Villiger Stokkebye 1888 "After Dinner" is quite good and derned inexpensive @Cup O'Joe's!

Dunhill Flake for the purist of va seekers....then there's

Astley's #44!

Ed
Puff

olderthandirt
05-09-2012, 02:00
Not tried any of the flakes from Irwin Ries cobbsmoker. Was never clear on just what it was that they were selling, re-branded blends or their own.

Getting some interesting candidates here for a substitute for HV for sure.
Mark from SmokingPipes cast no light on where the HV is but he did suggest trying F&T's Cut Virginia Plug (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=543) in it's stead.

Aaron from P&C had no clue regarding the HV either. He did forward my question for a comparable Va to Russ O.
And even with his very recent health issues Russ was Johnny on the spot with a reply to me recommending Altadis Virginia Slices 507c (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=5&TID=3607) as an alternative! Nothing's keeping Russ down!

So, mayhaps no answer yet as to why so many of the DTM products are available and HV isn't I have at least garnered several suggestions for alternates!

Markw4mms
05-09-2012, 02:13
Not tried any of the flakes from Irwin Ries cobbsmoker. Was never clear on just what it was that they were selling, re-branded blends or their own.

Mark from SmokingPipes cast no light on where the HV is but he did suggest trying F&T's Cut Virginia Plug (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=543) in it's stead.

Aaron from P&C had no clue regarding the HV either. He did forward my question for a comparable Va to Russ O.
And even with his very recent health issues Russ was Johnny on the spot with a reply to me recommending Altadis Virginia Slices 507c (http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=5&TID=3607) as an alternative! Nothing's keeping Russ down!

So, mayhaps no answer yet as to why so many of the DTM products are available and HV isn't I have at least garnered several suggestions for alternates!

Yeah, I had heard that F&T CVP is a pretty good substitute for HV, but unfortunately it isn't available in bulk packaging. I do have it on my TAD list as one to try though.

cobbsmoker
05-09-2012, 04:13

I forgot all about Altadis Virginia Slices... LOL

Markw4mms
05-09-2012, 13:09
I forgot all about Altadis Virginia Slices... LOL
Have you smoked this blend? If so, how is it?

Puff The Magic
05-09-2012, 18:58
I must say Boswell's Va flakes isn't close either. I'd wondered about IRC Flakes meself! Of you who smoke or have smoked IRC Flakes, ya like it?

Ed
Puff

FlatbushPaul
05-09-2012, 19:07
Yet another affirmation to cellar leaf you like when you can before the window closes!

I sort of got in as the wind'er was shuttin' and acted fast! Missed many other opportunities for other greats when they arrived (like Stonehaven....so i ended up paying super premium pricing) because sellout occurs in just a few hours. HV was on the shelves for a while but nowhere now. Hope it does come back over here.

Ed
Puff
I missed out on HV. I have sampled it from a trade and really liked it but it has not resurfaced since. I have been fortunate with Stonehaven though and have been able to stock up on it the last several times it has come around. But HV, not so lucky! :(

cobbsmoker
05-10-2012, 03:39
Have you smoked this blend? If so, how is it?

I smoked a sample of this blend with a friend a while back and thought it was pretty good, I have not smoked enough of it to review it but I would certainly buy it again, first impression was good!

Markw4mms
05-10-2012, 03:42
I smoked a sample of this blend with a friend a while back and thought it was pretty good, I have not smoked enough of it to review it but I would certainly buy it again, first impression was good!
I see it's a Danish blend, I wonder how much it tastes like LTF?

cobbsmoker
05-10-2012, 14:55
I see it's a Danish blend, I wonder how much it tastes like LTF?

Believe it or not, I have never tried any of the Peter Stokkebye Luxury blends :(

Gary58
05-10-2012, 16:33
Believe it or not, I have never tried any of the Peter Stokkebye Luxury blends :(

You really should. Get some bulk samples from pipesandcigars. I believe that's where I picked up mine. I think I especially prefer the twist and bullseye flakes.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

cobbsmoker
05-10-2012, 16:35
You really should. Get some bilk sampls from pipesandcigars. I believe that's where I picked up mine. I think I especially prefer the twist and bullseye flakes.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Thanks Gary, my local tobacconist stocks quite a bit of the Stokkebye blends I'm just not a big fan of Danish blends or blenders.

Markw4mms
05-10-2012, 21:11
Thanks Gary, my local tobacconist stocks quite a bit of the Stokkebye blends I'm just not a big fan of Danish blends or blenders.

Some people find LTF a little too sweet for their taste, but if you like a VA/Per, you really owe it to yourself to try LNF. LNF is very good, and is close to Escudo to my taste.

cobbsmoker
05-10-2012, 22:11
Some people find LTF a little too sweet for their taste, but if you like a VA/Per, you really owe it to yourself to try LNF. LNF is very good, and is close to Escudo to my taste.

I like Virginias, especially McClelland, but do not like Latakia or Perique, even in the smallest amounts, I'm primarily a Burley smoker. :)

olderthandirt
05-30-2012, 04:17
So an update on my HV quest.
No, still none to be had stateside but.....

Per the suggestion from Russ Ouellette I got myself 2oz of the Altadis Virginia Slices 507c. Blissfully working through my 2nd bowl of it since I got home today and I'm very happy with this one.
Slight more golden in color, ever so slightly sweeter than HV, for all that, it is so close in taste to HV that it could be a twin brother, flake, er what ever.

So all you folks that share my taste for HV, definitely try out the Altadis Virginia slices 507c, I think you'll be happy with it as well! (-:

Markw4mms
05-30-2012, 15:28
Thanks Brian, you have me convinced. I will have to try some!

mike68
07-21-2012, 21:28
Having now tried VA Slices I must say..it's somwhar hard to believe this is an Altadis toby! I can say I've had and DO enjoy their stuff, but VA Slices is a really excellent blend! This is a case where BIO-OTD is a good thing!;)

Markw4mms
07-21-2012, 21:39
Mine shipped today,and I can't wait to get my hands on it!

olderthandirt
07-22-2012, 14:10
Great to hear it's working for ya Mike. And Mark, I really don't think you'll be disappointed either.

I'm so glad that I contacted several vendors looking for HV.
Russ O's suggestion of the 507c as an alternate for HV was so very on the mark! While it's not the same, the 507c certainly fills the bill (-:

soundlzrd
07-24-2012, 22:53
It's here...
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/dan-tobacco/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=9538

Markw4mms
07-24-2012, 23:01
Mine is scheduled for delivery on the 27th... I'm so ready to tear into that package!

soundlzrd
07-24-2012, 23:26
Good! I didn't order any as I do not really understand the appeal. I also have 4 tins in the cellar. It seems to be improving with age.

Markw4mms
07-25-2012, 00:08
It will be interesting to see how it compares to HV, and LTF as well.

Hermit
07-25-2012, 05:44
I'm glad I went big on HV when ya could still get pounds from Mars for 36 bucks.

olderthandirt
07-26-2012, 01:31
It's here...
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/dan-tobacco/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=9538
Woo-Hoo!
I need to check my e-mail more often! Just ordered a 250gram bag of the HV a few moments ago, IR stoked.

Markw4mms
07-26-2012, 01:36
Woo-Hoo!
I need to check my e-mail more often! Just ordered a 250gram bag of the HV a few moments ago, IR stoked.

Damn, wouldn't you know it.... right after I spend what little I had on a half pound of 507c!!!! Just my luck.1642

olderthandirt
07-26-2012, 01:46
But look to the bright side Mark.
HV is still in production and whatever snafu was going on with the US importer would appear to have been resolved.
I betcha it is going to be more available on a regular basis now so if ya stop buying fancy cars, (-;
you oughta be able to pick some up at a later date!

Markw4mms
07-26-2012, 01:51
But look to the bright side Mark.
HV is still in production and whatever snafu was going on with the US importer would appear to have been resolved.
I betcha it is going to be more available on a regular basis now so if ya stop buying fancy cars, (-;
you oughta be able to pick some up at a later date!

I sure hope so! As for fancy cars, I'm done with that for quite a while I hope! Unless I win the lottery that is.1643

Brenda
07-26-2012, 01:55
I sure hope so! As for fancy cars, I'm done with that for quite a while I hope! Unless I win the lottery that is.1643

Damn Mark....How many times do I have to tell you that you CAN NOT win if you don't play?

When I win big...don't come begging me to buy you no baccy!!

olderthandirt
07-26-2012, 01:57
What struck me as promising regarding availability is that Smoking Pipes has a 4 tin per day limit on the, well, the tins, but no limit on the 250g bags!

Nice.

Markw4mms
07-26-2012, 02:00
God, 250gr of HV, that would be Heaven!

olderthandirt
07-26-2012, 02:03
Fer shure (-:

Note to self, must get more jars!

Markw4mms
07-26-2012, 21:31
Got my 8oz of 507c this afternoon... about 10 minutes into my first bowl and I have to admit, it's pretty darned good. Thanks to OTD, and Russ O. for the recommendation!

olderthandirt
07-27-2012, 04:43
Got my 8oz of 507c this afternoon... about 10 minutes into my first bowl and I have to admit, it's pretty darned good...
WooHoo!
Does the job nicely (-:

Markw4mms
07-27-2012, 09:35
WooHoo!
Does the job nicely (-:

Yep, HV it ain't, but it does come pretty close. It's hard to believe this is a Altadis tobby!