PDA

View Full Version : "Morta-fied"

Puff The Magic
05-09-2012, 21:16
Or was that "morta-fried"?

Just smoked my first salvo of bowls thru this Mario Grandi morta freehand and I'm petrified at this new to me smoking weapon! OMG! The flavors in the leaf just come out with added strength(s)! More morta pleeze! :)

Wondered about these pipes for a while. Price always kept me back. Rattray's line seems to be the least costly but still at $250 ea, that's tough unless you know what you're getting. Now, i feel it's a steal! Unless you go ebay and checkout its offerings.

Ed
Puff

Markw4mms
05-09-2012, 21:19
Very cool.. I've been wanting a Morta myself, but the price will keep it on my wish list for a while longer I guess.

Puff The Magic
05-09-2012, 21:25
The MG mortas on the bay are around $110 bin. I'm extremely happy with this "Black Seductress"! Won't be smoking morta only though but for now, it's rockin'!

Ed
Puff

FlatbushPaul
05-09-2012, 21:28
Or was that "morta-fried"?

Just smoked my first salvo of bowls thru this Mario Grandi morta freehand and I'm petrified at this new to me smoking weapon! OMG! The flavors in the leaf just come out with added strength(s)! More morta pleeze! :)

Wondered about these pipes for a while. Price always kept me back. Rattray's line seems to be the least costly but still at $250 ea, that's tough unless you know what you're getting. Now, i feel it's a steal! Unless you go ebay and checkout its offerings.

Ed
Puff
Hi Ed,
I have been sold on Morta for 2 years now. I indulged with Davorin. A Billiard and a Bent Tulip shape. They are my 2 best smokers. I use the Billiard for Va's, VaPer's and Burley blends like Uhle's #00 & P&W Nut Brown Burley. The bent I smoke ?English blends in. It's amazing how clean the tobacco tastes. And they take quite alot of abuse too. I frequently smoke them twice or three times in a day. They never gurgle either. My only complaint is that the body of the pipe can get hot. The smoke is always cool though. Kinda like a Meer in that respect. Good luck with your new pipe and many Happy Smokes in it!

Paul

Puff The Magic
05-09-2012, 21:35
Thanks FBP! Gets hot but cools very very fast! At the bottom with DH DNR now, wow! I read morta is supposed to really do english & balkans very well too! My kinda pipe! ;)

Ed
Puff

Jesla
05-09-2012, 22:35
How do they compare weight-wise?.....been curious too but it's a kinda like a leap of faith.....on the edge though......

Bob
05-09-2012, 22:37
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h384/Baskerville59/securedownload.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puff The Magic
05-09-2012, 23:56
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h384/Baskerville59/securedownload.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, yeah, yeah! Pics coming, getchy'er britches outta da crak and chill! :). Come on over....take all the pics ya like! :D

Otherwise, i'll get some up. Relax, mmmmkay?

As for weight, i'd say lighter for it's size than briar for sure. Not as light as meer though.

Ed
Puff

Puff The Magic
05-10-2012, 20:42
Been burnin up a bunch o'bowlfuls in this morta and i must say the leaf flavors are noticably more intense...especially towards the bottom of the bowl. At first, i thought it was the morta's flavor coming thru and i'm sure some is on this new bowl but i find zero bog-ish or salty sea taste at all. Just a very thick concentrated flavor of whatever i'm smokin'. Must explore more.

For those awaiting pics, learn to read! :)

Ed
Puff

Jesla
05-10-2012, 20:59
This is interesting, Ed.....keep us posted. Does it cake or not? Do's and Don'ts?

Puff The Magic
05-10-2012, 21:37
10:4 Jeff!

It does cake and will see if cake tames down the intense finish. Boy it's intense! Getting smoother though. Bet it's the oak addin' its 2 cents to the finish. At times, it's like a Pete "dip stained newby" but not consistently. Otherwise, it's a very good smoke till the last 1/8th bowl, then it tests the smoker in ya! ;)

Ed
Puff

soundlzrd
05-10-2012, 22:05
Very cool Ed! I looked at these pipes but wasn't sure if they were real morta for the price. Might need to find a friend wit PayPal.

EMorse
05-11-2012, 00:46
Thanks Ed. I have been looking at these for a while and wondering how they smoked. Unfortunately I now have another type of pipe to add to my list :)

IrishRover
05-11-2012, 01:03
Wow... that sounds great Ed... now, like EMorse, I am going to have to add morta to the list.

Puff The Magic
05-11-2012, 01:23
Smokes dry and clean. PC comes out cleaner than anything i have other than clay. Last 8-10 minutes will test your fortitude in the forte of the finish though! At least in my experience with morta so far. Definitely won't replace cob, meer, briar, or clay, BUT it is a nice weapon when y'er cravin' sumpin' differunt!;)

Ed
Puff

psquared
05-11-2012, 13:48
Ever since I saw that Chris Askwith morta this worm has been planted in my brain. Good info Puff, now I am going to have to start looking.

psquared
05-11-2012, 14:10
Some good information here

http://davorinmortapipes.wordpress.com/what-is-abonos-morta/

olderthandirt
05-11-2012, 14:17
That is a good read regarding morta, thanks for posting that psquared.

Oh, and it had pictures, hint hint (-;

Puff The Magic
05-11-2012, 14:22
Yeah, taking pics and transferring them is not high on my priorities atm. Just figured I'd share my experience with this new smoking tool rather than wait until i get pics up and then share.

Ed
Puff

olderthandirt
05-11-2012, 14:43
Glad that you are telling us how that bit o' morta is working for ya Ed!

These are the kind of threads that fuel PAD so well! (-:

Old Ted
05-11-2012, 15:54
C'mon Ed.....if you just kept to those cobs - you could get a decent camera!:rolleyes:
OT
PS does Mrs.Puff know you bought a pipe made from a hunk - out of a bog?:devilish:

Jesla
05-11-2012, 19:46
Yeah Ed is sinking into a path less traveled.....no doubt he'll make it.....

Jesla
05-11-2012, 19:56
....others will follow...1310

Puff The Magic
05-12-2012, 00:02
Ok, the day's morta report:

Knowing this morta accentuates the flavors, especially towards the end, i decided to go with two va's

McCl 09 Dark Star

3 yr old Escudo

Both Fantastic throughout! Actually workin on the Escudo now :)

If you like va's, ya gotta get a morta eventually! No shitt! Seriously, absolutely fantastic smoke! Dry. No gurgle, I'm a wet smoker when it gets going real good....i get carried away! ;)

Still no gurgle! PC at bowl's end comes out very clean!

I hear they absolutely sing with english and the like. Bet heavy Lakelands or Condor would bema touch too much unless you like it rough! :D

Really really like it! Alot!

Ed
Puff

Tony Malerich
05-12-2012, 03:19
And I love the Dark Star so apparently I need a morta now :D

Puff The Magic
05-12-2012, 12:18
Starting out with some english now. SG SL in the same morta, wonderful!

I've smoked several bowls thru this "hunk'a oak" and i truly do apologize for adding fuel to the PAD Fire but the majority of the smokes put thru this Black Seductress has been in the category of "best ever" with that particular leaf! Va's....most definitely! This SL is kickin' butt too! Will have to burn down some Penzance and some Coyote later today! ;)

Again, i do seriously apologize for addin' fuel to your PAD Fire.

Enjoying this new burner made o'oak and for the longest time i have avoided morta due to cost. If it's as dry as a cob or meer, and i have a bunch of cobs & meers....why bother? The flavors, that's why! Definitely more pronounced, crisper, more definition, and a powerhouse of flavor at bowl's end!

Ed
Puff

Old Ted
05-12-2012, 12:55
Put some Condor in it - and it'll be better than making love!.....well, maybe not quite!....(if memory serves!) :encouragement:

olderthandirt
05-12-2012, 13:46
...Again, i do seriously apologize for addin' fuel to your PAD Fire...Don't be apologizing Ed. After all, enabling is what it's all about! And yer doin' a fine job of it!!

Puff The Magic
05-14-2012, 15:20
Coyote & Penzance were killer in the morta! Burnin' up some burleys now an they are very nice too! I will go so far to say morta does burleys very well too, imo!

Ed
Puff

Puff The Magic
05-16-2012, 00:36
Ok, this is crazy! Smoked some

McConnell Scottish Flake in the morta.....WOW! Decided to smoke this again in a well broke in Pete 80s too for immediate comparo. They both did the flake very well and were rewarding smokes but the morta shined! Bolder flavors! Mmmmmmm.

Now is

GAF in the morta....almost done with this bowl and again, "best ever" category for GAF too!

I'm sold/hooked on morta!

:)

Ed
Puff

Puff The Magic
05-16-2012, 19:25
C'mon Ed.....if you just kept to those cobs - you could get a decent camera!:rolleyes:
OT
PS does Mrs.Puff know you bought a pipe made from a hunk - out of a bog?:devilish:

Smokin' el morta with PS LTF and boy is it good! Like crackin a fresh coconut open and pouring vanilla cream (carmelized of course!) over the coconut and eating it with a spoon! This one is low-no cal though! What a wonderful blend in the morta!

First off, Mrs Puff is confirmed in the belief Puff has gone where no man has gone before ;). So, anything goes in my pleasures! Hell, i have Bali smoker sea shell pipes so she's cool with old bog wood.

Yeah....if I'd only stuck to cobs..... Y'er kiddin' me right? Dave, I've never left cobs! Still in the line up!

Ed
Puff