PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco Tax Increase Fails in Calif

Paul
06-06-2012, 15:10
I have to admit, I'm shocked at this result considering the way California normally sways...but the $1.00 per pack sales tax they wanted to add to cigarettes has failed in California.

What I love, one of the original articles I read, it was estimated to raise $756 million, in this article it was supposed to be $810 million (and had it passed, it wouldn't have raised close to either imho).

I mean honestly, how stupid are politicians...if smoking rates have fallen steadily, and then you add a whopping increase in cost, how the hell do they really expect that combination to bring in revenue?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/06/06/BA8T1OTODR.DTL

Jesla
06-06-2012, 18:33
Wow maybe the pendulum has finally started to swing back.....this ought to be good...

Archer
06-06-2012, 19:39
I mean honestly, how stupid are politicians...if smoking rates have fallen steadily, and then you add a whopping increase in cost, how the hell do they really expect that combination to bring in revenue?

Because it never was about state revenue. The politicians don't care about state revenue, they care about personal back pocket revenue, paid by heavily funded special interest lobbyists. Right now the Nazis are saying "smoking is the new prohibition." Welcome to just one more of many attempts to undermine personal freedom in this country. Political thinking is all about continuing the pursuit of the "status quo." The status quo being the continued financially funded corruption of personal liberty by the highest bidder.

More hand-holding by the nanny state based on the premise of "what good for the people"...

Paul
06-06-2012, 19:50
That could be true, but the tobacco lobby way out spent the anit's in this case...and it would be an interesting way for big tobacco and the politicians to get into bed together by starting up anti smoking legislation...especially since it has hurt big tobacco's bottom line.

But I agree it comes down to what the pols personally want get out of it.

I mean if they really wanted to put a strangle hold on the tobacco industry they could've done it by stipulating funds for that massive lawsuit settlement could not be passed on to the consumer.

So yeah, the industry had to pay out billions of dollars...they just laugh because that costs just pushed down the line.

Arkie_
06-07-2012, 01:17
I'm surprised the tax increase failed. Politicians are always in favor of higher taxes. Their mentality is like the kids running a lemonade stand and charging $20 per cup with the mentality that they have to sell only a few cups.

Michael Goodwin
06-07-2012, 06:50
You have my mother to thank for this failing (she voted NO as she is a dirty smoker)

IrishRover
06-08-2012, 10:48
Wow.. a victory for the smokers. I just hope it isn't short-lived.

Arkie_
06-09-2012, 00:27
Wow.. a victory for the smokers. I just hope it isn't short-lived.

I'm afraid you're right. The anti's will keep putting it on the ballot until it passes.

tedvig
06-09-2012, 00:52
You have my mother to thank for this failing (she voted NO as she is a dirty smoker)

I'm getting a little sick of feeling like a dirty smoker. I think it's great this failed. They oughta stop picking on us!

T-Bear
06-15-2012, 19:05

Thanks "mom"!!!!

briarbrian
07-05-2012, 18:44
Great news for sure especially from the nanny state of all nanny states Kalifornia. This is maybe a sign that even the non smokers are now getting informed as to how the gov wants to totally run our lives. I bet ole Nancy on the hill is bummed out for sure! Good!!