PDA

View Full Version : Good News For Pipe Tobacco!!

Bob
07-05-2012, 21:14
You likely knew of the threat from roll-your-own tobacco being labeled as pipe tobacco to avoid the higher taxes.
Pipe tobacco has been threatened for 2.5 years now by proposals to increase the tax by over 700% - from just under $3 per pound to nearly $25 per pound.
We just got saved by the Federal Highway Bill.
http://www.suntimes.com/business/13589276-420/roll-your-own-cigarette-stores-going-up-in-smoke.html

soundlzrd
07-05-2012, 21:38
Not sure what a highway bill has to do with tobacco, but I'm thankful.

Bob
07-05-2012, 21:56

Same here, but this is what I received from a news letter! In other words, RYO can't be labeled as pipe tobacco, and pipe tobacco's taxes will not be upped! Good news indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul
07-06-2012, 00:53

Tis the way our gooberment works...It has nothing to do with a highway bill itself, it just happened this piece of legislation was attached to it...it's one of those lil' tricks politicians do to get stuff passed...

But who am I to argue semantics when this is actually a good piece of news :) !

IrishRover
07-06-2012, 09:49
Tis the way our gooberment works...It has nothing to do with a highway bill itself, it just happened this piece of legislation was attached to it...it's one of those lil' tricks politicians do to get stuff passed...

But who am I to argue semantics when this is actually a good piece of news :) !

Yeah.. I think that's what they call a 'Rider'... A bill attached to another bill going through...
It is good news to hear..

Archer
07-06-2012, 12:18
Same here, but this is what I received from a news letter! In other words, RYO can't be labeled as pipe tobacco, and pipe tobacco's taxes will not be upped! Good news indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, thats the gist I got as well...but, leave it to the communists...as soon as they bury this form of tobacco, they will likely be head hunting for something else...its the new McCarthyism...(sp?)

Arkie_
07-06-2012, 16:03
Of course the anti's won't give up. They will keep pounding away and re-introducing bills until the proposed taxes pass. Cellar deep and cellar often.

T-Bear
07-07-2012, 19:07
Good news for the short term anyhow. We'll see what the future brings.

Cellar deep and cellar often.
Done and done!

Wyatt James
07-07-2012, 20:44
Nice to hear. Good news

JoeMan
03-17-2014, 03:36
I've got enough of my favorites to last me at least a couple years or more if I was suddenly no longer able to afford (or get'em) due to wacko legislation.

p120d16y
03-22-2014, 00:02
Thank GOD. That RYO garbage should all be tossed in a burn pile.

Moosecop
03-23-2014, 02:23
I think this thread is screwed up.. Its labeled here in Wisconsin as pipe tobacco.. as in a gas station today and they had a whole wall of 1 lb bags..