PDA

View Full Version : Escudo Navy Deluxe..oh my..

mike68
07-21-2012, 17:16
Popped the tin today...I was really expecting to be underwhelmed, as we often are when things seem hyped, but this..well this is truly something!

I've been hard pressed as a newbie to figure out what a great Va/Per is but this MUST be it. Zero bite, easy to rub out coins and copious amounts of soft smoke. I only used one coin as I'm running about today but I will NEED another full bowl soon because I'm totally smitten!!

Just when I had thought my new love for Lakelands was eye-opening...lol!

Bob
07-21-2012, 17:18
Yep, it's good tobacco!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soundlzrd
07-21-2012, 17:45
Yea, it's some good stuff!

jkofferdahl
07-21-2012, 17:53
You might want to also try Solani 633, which is kind of in the same vein as Escudo.

olderthandirt
07-21-2012, 17:58
I've seen it stated that Escudo be considered the benchmark for what a VaPer should be. There could well be truth to that position as it IS that good.

While the coins don't readily lend themselves to a real "fold & stuff" Mike, be sure to try loading a bowl with a coin that's sorta folded, loosely waded into a ball kinda affair. I like it that way for a slow sipping long lasting break from the day (-:

WyoBob
07-21-2012, 18:43
Popped the tin today...I was really expecting to be underwhelmed, as we often are when things seem hyped, but this..well this is truly something!

I've been hard pressed as a newbie to figure out what a great Va/Per is but this MUST be it. Zero bite, easy to rub out coins and copious amounts of soft smoke. I only used one coin as I'm running about today but I will NEED another full bowl soon because I'm totally smitten!!

Just when I had thought my new love for Lakelands was eye-opening...lol!

Have you tried Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake? To me, it's similar to Escudo. And, at $1.75/oz (when bought in the 24 oz box), it represents a really good value.

WyoBob

Paul
07-21-2012, 19:38
mmmmm another VA/Per I need to try

soundlzrd
07-21-2012, 19:52
Have you tried Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake? To me, it's similar to Escudo. And, at $1.75/oz (when bought in the 24 oz box), it represents a really good value.

WyoBob

Especially after a year or two in the jar...

Jesla
07-21-2012, 20:31
....and only gets better with age.

Markw4mms
07-21-2012, 21:11
Escudo, and LNF are both excellent smokes. I do give LNF a slight edge over Escudo because it does come in a true rectangular flake (easier to fold and stuff), and is a little less expensive.

mike68
07-21-2012, 21:15
@wyobob - had a few bowls of Luxury Navy and agree...I recall is was excellent as well..

@Jeff - not sure any would make it long enough to "age" ! lol..

Jesla
07-22-2012, 01:39
That's why you should buy 10 at a time and when 5 are gone buy 10 more.....

soundlzrd
07-22-2012, 02:00
Good advise jelsa! When trying a blend I buy at least two tins.

olderthandirt
07-22-2012, 14:17
I enjoy both the LNF and Escudo and gotta say that for me, while similar, the Escudo is by far and away the better of the two. Fresh tin or aged it's simply, well, smoother I s'pose.
The LNF is a great value and the flavor makes it a fantastic utility smoke but when the Makers Mark comes out and the feet are up on the ottoman... it's Escudo time!

HCraven
07-22-2012, 14:56
Agreed, it's amazing stuff. It does get better with age, too. I've got some jarred with about a year and a half on it. Mmmmmm......

BayouBrad
07-23-2012, 18:55
I enjoy both the LNF and Escudo and gotta say that for me, while similar, the Escudo is by far and away the better of the two. Fresh tin or aged it's simply, well, smoother I s'pose.
The LNF is a great value and the flavor makes it a fantastic utility smoke but when the Makers Mark comes out and the feet are up on the ottoman... it's Escudo time!

Well put Sir!

Sam R Vior
07-24-2012, 15:21
Escudo is the thing!!! could go all day with it!!

mike68
07-27-2012, 01:57
That's why you should buy 10 at a time and when 5 are gone buy 10 more.....

Been doing this for a while huh Jeff?? ;)

I'm starting to get a short list of toby's that I'll be cellaring a bit more of for sure..