PDA

View Full Version : New Chat Feature

Carl
09-04-2012, 14:11
Hi Guys,

Make sure you look at the bottom of your screen. We have a new chat feature similar to the facebook chat. you can chat in real time either using private (by selecting a username) or use the chat room for group chatting.

I'll be testing this for the next 7 days and if you prefer it to the old chat I will purchase the license to keep it for ou.

Let me know how you like it!!!

Enjoy :)

uncamitch
09-04-2012, 14:48
Like it..... :encouragement:

Bob
09-04-2012, 15:42
Like it.....:eagerness:

Bob
09-04-2012, 20:48
I take that back! I can't use it with safari on my iPhone! It shows the little icons like it does on IE but when you click on them nothing happens. Also when you exland the page the chat vanishes!! I am on my iPhone more than my PC so this isn't going to work for me.
P.S. The little icons are hard to click on with the iPhone!!

Tony Malerich
09-04-2012, 23:13
Nobody on now, but I'll keep an eye on things and see how goes :)

HCraven
09-05-2012, 00:00
I'm trying to figure out if it works on my Android tablet. I may have to try it on the laptop first, to get a feel for the functions, and then see if I can do it on this thing. I think my pop-up keyboard is pushing the actual chat window off screen.

Markw4mms
09-05-2012, 01:33
Cool, I'll check it out.

WVDAVE
09-05-2012, 01:41
I can't figure it out. Confused and Dazed :confused-new:

HCraven
09-05-2012, 03:09
OK, it's pretty simple on the PC. If you click the small icon that looks like a head, a window will open showing available chat rooms (so far I've only seen the one that entitled "PSU Chat"). Click on the room and you're logged in and ready to chat. With that window open, click the little gear icon in the top right corner and check "Stay In Room". This will ensure that you don't leave the room every time you look at a new thread on the forum. You can hide the window temporarily by clicking the little head at the bottom of the screen, so you can read/post as usual while waiting for replies to chat posts. There's a notification icon next to the little head too, which I assume tells you when someone has responded to something you've said or maybe sends a private message via chat. No experience with that yet, just guessing. If you want to leave the chat room, click the door next to the gear in the chat window. Still working out particulars, which I might be able to do if someone logs in...

nsfisher
09-05-2012, 04:46
Good feature mate. Makes it easier to discuss a sale or trade with someone rather than the slow PM's

psquared
09-05-2012, 12:12
I'm trying...not too sure. Herb, thanks for the short tutorial. I've selected to "stay in room" today, so we'll see how this goes.

Carl
09-05-2012, 12:15
I've added a poll to the thread so that I can get a feel for what you guys think of this version of chat. Please try it for a few days before voting so that you get chance to become familiar with it.

HCraven
09-09-2012, 12:53
I'm ambivalent, Carl. I definitely like the new chat room, but I can't use it on my Android tablet, which I could do with the old one. The other issue is that any time I've logged into chat, there's no one there to chat with. I've been paying attention to the chat room on another long-established forum, and it doesn't get used much either. If it's a real bargain you might keep it, but I can't recommend that you spend your hard-earned money on the thing with a clear conscience.

BTW, now there's someone in the room, but I'm on my tablet. >:-(

Bob
09-09-2012, 13:07
I agree with HCraven. Carl here is a link for a free chat room that is compatable with Vbulletin boards, another forum I used to frequent uses this and it works great, and its free!! You can have the Shoutbox and seperate chatroom. Just thought I would throw this out there, it's your call.

http://www.ajaxchat.org/About/

uncamitch
09-10-2012, 14:50
The only thing I miss is the previous chats are erased from the chat room

Carl
09-13-2012, 12:22
I've re-enabled the chatbox until I decide whether to go to the new version and also while I investigate the ajax chat. I am trying to find a vBulletin forum with ajax chat on it so that I can see it in action. There isn't much information on the website about integration with the forum so I need to check into it further.

Regards

Carl

Bob
09-13-2012, 12:59
Carl, http://pipechat.info/index.php uses Ajax.

Bob
09-13-2012, 15:04
Carl, Ajax Chat is similar to our original chat. It has the shout box ( chat window like what we have), but if you open the chat room in another window it has sounds that alerts you of new activity, which ours doesn't have.

Carl
09-13-2012, 16:30
I have looked it over and it is a pain to implement for vBulletin forums. pipechat uses SMF forums which seem to have decent support by ajax chat. PhpBB also have decent support but vBulletin seems to be pretty much unsupported without a lot of code changes.

WVDAVE
09-13-2012, 16:33
Keep the old chat. Please!

Bob
09-13-2012, 16:40
Carl, what about FlashChat, like SF uses?