PDA

View Full Version : The pipe makes the man

Whalehead King
11-04-2012, 23:53
I find myself changing preferences in what pipe best reflects my persona. I used to be a cob man, then I became a briar man. I am shallow, all about surface and image. I have never owned a meer or a churchwarden.

For awhile I took a fancy to a stainless steel steampunk confection of a pipe. Now, I mostly smoke an Ozark Mountain with an orange Forever Stem or the handy-dandy, all-purpose, first respectable basket pipe I ever purchased. I'll pick up one of my Petersons or my Medico when I feel like a change, but I tend to smoke the same pipes in succession.

All of a sudden, something in my mind and technique will shift and I feel like a different kind of pipe smoker and then it is time to change the selections.

Like tobacco, some pipes are more suited to wherever we are in our practice. It is a journey. You never hate your old habits. You appreciate everything you learned from you former favorites. The pipe makes the man.

Smoke in good health,
WK

Michael Goodwin
11-05-2012, 06:33
I have a few pipes, but seem to smoke one more than the others. I guess in that regard I too am shallow?

HCraven
11-05-2012, 10:18
Sometimes image is everything with a pipe. When I went out to rake leaves a couple of weeks ago, I thought it appropriate to sport my Lumberman as an accessory to my flannel shirt. It's not what I would normally choose as a yard pipe, being a bit long to clench comfortably for lengths of time, but it just seemed right, so I set my jaw and got down to work.

T-Bear
11-05-2012, 19:56
I think of pipe smoking as a journey, a never-ending and always changing journey. I started my personal tripover 50 years ago, smoking a Carey freehand and Borkum Riff. Over the years I discovered cobs, clays and meerschaums. Each of these became a part of what is me as a pipe smoker...a bit of my "persona" if you will. My "Mountain Man" days found me with a cob clenched in my teeth, then I found the Hobbit and Trilogy...long stemmed clay pipes joined the family, and were enjoyed for what they were. Many years ago I found a battered Meerschaum bowl in a junk shop...replaced the missing stem and discovered yet another face of this mad and oh so satisfying hobby.
In the intervening years, I've grown my collection to over 200, and thinned it to under 20....many times. But in all that time, I've kept a few of each type/style. Why? Mostly because my tastes have never settled down. I find them all fascinating for their own reasons. Each calls to me in turn....meerschaums hold sway at the moment, but that can change tomorrow. For me, this is indeed a journey...a long and convoluted trip that winds and wanders, crossing and re-crossing, as we travel through life...together.

Arkie_
11-05-2012, 21:03
I remember reading advice years ago on which pipe shape to choose based on facial features and physical characteristics of the smoker. I never took the advice seriously so I collected a variety of pipes. No two pipes of my pipes are the same shape except for a couple of pots and a couple of princes. I have briars, cobs and a meer and I generally smoke them in rotation. I do smoke a cob when I'm fishing because they are light and easy to clinch while I have both hands busy. I like my no-name prince when I'm sailing because I'm afraid I would drop my good prince in the water. I like my no-name pot when I'm hunting because my good pot might get scratched inside my hunting pack.

Puffingthebriar
11-05-2012, 21:50
Yes i can relate to this too,
When 1st started smoking a pipe it was a Falcon, only because thats what my dad smoked & a few freinds dads smoked them, so its all i new, then after a couple of yrs away from the pipe,i thought i would give it another try,so my journey began,buying all makes of briar pipes from Dunhills, Savinelli's,and Petersons,and i think at my besti had around 50 pipes in total,but only really smoked about 7 on a rotation,and to be honest i never really had one day where i can say that every smoke was a good one,so one night i went to bed thinking about the money i had spent on these Beautiful pipes, well to look at but not to smoke,in the morning i set about changing evry thing so i sold every briar pipe i had,and started back on the Metal pipes mainly falcons Dr plumbs, and Ducan delta's, and straight away started to enjoy my smoking again that was 3yrs ago now,and i can say ive never regreted it,i enjoy every bowl out of my little stock of Metal beautys, although people around me think i looked better with a nice bent briar, i dont smoke to make other people happy tho, so now i only smoke metal and i know most of you guys wont understand that but hey ho,ive finally found my place among the pipe smoking community of today.

Michael Goodwin
11-06-2012, 02:57
I think of pipe smoking as a journey, a never-ending and always changing journey. I started my personal tripover 50 years ago, smoking a Carey freehand and Borkum Riff. Over the years I discovered cobs, clays and meerschaums. Each of these became a part of what is me as a pipe smoker...a bit of my "persona" if you will. My "Mountain Man" days found me with a cob clenched in my teeth, then I found the Hobbit and Trilogy...long stemmed clay pipes joined the family, and were enjoyed for what they were. Many years ago I found a battered Meerschaum bowl in a junk shop...replaced the missing stem and discovered yet another face of this mad and oh so satisfying hobby.
In the intervening years, I've grown my collection to over 200, and thinned it to under 20....many times. But in all that time, I've kept a few of each type/style. Why? Mostly because my tastes have never settled down. I find them all fascinating for their own reasons. Each calls to me in turn....meerschaums hold sway at the moment, but that can change tomorrow. For me, this is indeed a journey...a long and convoluted trip that winds and wanders, crossing and re-crossing, as we travel through life...together.

I will never post anything more beautiful that what I have just read. Truer words have not been spoken.

Whalehead King
11-06-2012, 22:38
Have pipe, will adventure. Low-key, meditative adventures, to be sure, but memorable moments nonetheless. You don't need to travel far when you have a trusted pipe by your side. Friends, like pipes, come and go. You never forget your first girl and you should always appreciate the pipe in your hand like it is your first.

With a handshake,
WK

T-Bear
11-07-2012, 03:44
Well said WK...