PDA

View Full Version : General question about peterson pipes

Jason64
12-12-2012, 04:21
Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody could enlighten the difference between various models of peterson like HARP,donegal,aran,christmas.etc
Thank you so much

Tony Malerich
12-12-2012, 11:08
Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody could enlighten the difference between various models of peterson like HARP,donegal,aran,christmas.etc
Thank you so much

The differences between most Peterson ranges is simply cosmetic. Aran is probably their "standard" line, reddish brown, and generally with a nickel or silver band. I'm not sure of Harp's color, but I think it's usually banded. Donegal Rocky is always rusticated, sometimes with a nickel or silver band. Kapet is similar but usually doesn't have a band I think. St. Patrick's and Christmas pipes are yearly releases and the finish changes every year. '12 St Patricks is a darker orangey red. '12 Christmas is a dark brown stain. These releases always have a nickel band stamped with the year and holiday name. '08 St Patrick's was a green stained year. Cara has an ebony finish (smooth or sandblast) and a silver band. There are many more.

Different shapes may or may not be available in some lines - particularly the holiday releases are only in very popular shapes (like thus far I don't think there has ever been a 268 Zulu shape on St Patrick's).

System is the only very different one because of the well that traps moisture. They are labelled with a 300 range model number (304, 307, 311) except the straight system which is just 31. Some bent non-system pipes do have small wells, but those are the big ones.

As you move beyond the $120-ish price range, you get into special ranges. Sherlock Holmes (all generally large and named after people and places of the Holmes world), spigots with silver military mounts, the new commemorative Iceberg line, the Authors series, the Mark Twain pipes, etc. These are often a bit bigger (but not necessarily), they often use slightly nicer briar (but not necessarily) and they definitely cost more. All in all, though, there still Petes and are generally fine smokes