PDA

View Full Version : What kind (type) tobacco is your choise?

dr pipe
12-17-2012, 18:10
What kind (type) tobacco is your choise? Aromatic, English with latakia, English without lat. other

Bob
12-17-2012, 18:36
Burleys
Va's
Va/Perique
Va/Burley/Perique

uncamitch
12-17-2012, 18:56
I seem to be attracted to anything that don't taste like a cigarette
30% aromatic

nesta04
12-17-2012, 19:32
My tastes gravitate towards strong tobaccos. By no means is that all I smoke, but if it's strong, chances are I may like it. Irish Flake, Five Brothers, twists, Kendal Dark, Dark Flake, 1792, Old Joe Krantz, etc.

But after that, I'd say as far as very broad categories I'd say I really like natural blends, preferably with strong presences of both VA and burley well balanced. Probably tied with that would be British style "scented" blends

Arkie_
12-18-2012, 01:48
I like all types but I have to admit to being jaded and now I buy only the tobacco that has quality leaf in it. After smoking good stuff for a while I can't go back to the mediocre blends regardless of what type they are.

Markw4mms
12-18-2012, 01:57
VA's and VA/Per's are my two favorites.

T-Bear
12-18-2012, 03:06
Va-Vapers, with "English blends a close second. If they were more redilly available to me, those wonderful Brit blends (Condor, St. Bruno et al) would top the list.

Wyatt James
12-18-2012, 04:52
I like the English with or without the lat, but recently I find myself on an aromatic kick

IrishRover
12-18-2012, 11:14
I tend to lean towards English blends, then Vaper and Burley. I need to try more Virginias to say where they land in the list. I do like them, just limited on experience with them.

Tony Malerich
12-18-2012, 13:41
Definitely a VA guy first with VA/Per a close second. I'm slowly realizing that Lat and I don't enjoy each others company all that often.

mike68
12-19-2012, 00:00
A Lakeland guy here...Bosun's Cut is my favorite but Ennerdale Flake and Kendall's #7 are also up there..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Etph3030
12-19-2012, 01:43
I tend to smoke any combination of Virginias, Burley, and Perique mostly.

With Latakia, I prefer Balkans over English's.

Yohanan
12-21-2012, 23:47
Burleys
Burley/VA/Perique
English/Lat
or
Any good tasting, good smoking tobacco, but the top 3 would be my favorites.

Briar Boy
01-11-2013, 03:14
I smoke all types.

lestrout
01-13-2013, 23:18
Latakia is the reason to live. But a year ago, my Morley's Pipe Club shamed me into trying Virginias, so I started my Virginias Project. I went so far as to get several dozen new pipes (to minimize the potential ghosting factor) and even isolated the ones that get VA/Pers. I'm starting to get Virginias, but mainly they make my Latakias taste soooo much better. Because Altadis sends us cases of their Sutliffs every month, I've starting toying with aromatics.

hp
les

Tony Malerich
01-14-2013, 00:15
I'm definitely a VA and VA/Per guy. I do very little aro or English (and usually on the mild side), but I have a fair bit of each on the shelf.

HCraven
01-14-2013, 00:24
I tend to favor English blends with a medium Latakia content as my staple type, though I'll smoke almost any type of pipe tobacco, and keep lots of jars going all the time. I'd say my mix breaks down roughly like this:

English, low-med Lat - 40%
Virginia flake - 20%
VaPers - 15%
English, strong Lat - 5%
American-style Burley (OTC) - 3%
Aromatics - 2%
Other - 15%

I consider things like McConnell Scotish Cake, SG Navy Flake, C&D Montford Point Marine, or McClelland's Oriental blends to be in the "Other" category. I find this category to be the most interesting these days, as they all have their own unique flavors, plus there seem to be more things incorporating dark-fired Kentucky appearing on the market lately, which doesn't traditionally fit into one of the aforementioned categories.

ETA: On at least one occasion, I went on a kick when I smoked nothing but Virginias and VaPers for a couple of months. Could happen again.

Arkie_
01-14-2013, 01:58
I tend to favor English blends with a medium Latakia content as my staple type, though I'll smoke almost any type of pipe tobacco, and keep lots of jars going all the time. I'd say my mix breaks down roughly like this:

English, low-med Lat - 40%
Virginia flake - 20%
VaPers - 15%
English, strong Lat - 5%
American-style Burley (OTC) - 3%
Aromatics - 2%
Other - 15%

I consider things like McConnell Scotish Cake, SG Navy Flake, C&D Montford Point Marine, or McClelland's Oriental blends to be in the "Other" category. I find this category to be the most interesting these days, as they all have their own unique flavors, plus there seem to be more things incorporating dark-fired Kentucky appearing on the market lately, which doesn't traditionally fit into one of the aforementioned categories.

ETA: On at least one occasion, I went on a kick when I smoked nothing but Virginias and VaPers for a couple of months. Could happen again.

McConnell Scotish Cake sounds interesting. I've never tried it and now you have me curious about it. How would you describe it?

HCraven
01-14-2013, 02:42
McConnell Scotish Cake sounds interesting. I've never tried it and now you have me curious about it. How would you describe it?

While I've seen some lump it in with more straightforward VaPers, I think it has a different character than most, owing at least in part to the inclusion of Kentucky leaf. It's more robust, a little sweeter and not as grassy, and the flavor is darker, for lack of a better descriptor, perhaps the pipe tobacco equivalent of a Maduro cigar, for purpose of analogy, only. While not overwhelming, the nicotine level seems more stout than something like Escudo, too. It's one of my favorite blends, and I would probably smoke a bowl of it everyday if I smoked more than I do.

Again, edited: Thinking about it just now, I realized that Hal O' The Wynd is made up of the same component tobaccos as Scottish Cake, though the flavor is a fair bit different and empahasizes the Virginia more. For reasons owing more to the overall impression I get rather than the actual composition, I'll always think of it as a Virginia anyway. I've similarly taken a strong liking to Sillem's London blend, which tastes like a sort of English or Scottish mixture, though it has neither Virginia nor Oriental tobacco according to the tin description. Still fits "English" in my book.

Johnny
01-15-2013, 03:04
I smoke a bit of everything but the aromatics are the scented variety ie Condor and St. Bruno

Paul
01-15-2013, 06:11
I go through moods. I smoke anything, but the lat blends. The just do not agree with me.

But I'll go through moods where I'm really craving the aro's. Sometimes I'm hankering for Perique blends for weeks on end. Then the VA's have always been a favorite. Then when summer rolls around I fancy the blends that add a bit of cigar leaf to 'em.

Sharon
01-15-2013, 23:26
I tend to like light aromatics. I love vanilla enhanced tobaccos. I also like what y'all call OTC's, my favorite is Carter Hall and Sugar Barrel. I also like a tobacco Bob has that is called Classic Burley Kake.

morty58
01-15-2013, 23:42
Oh am I ever impressed, did you kick Bob out of the room? I also like some of the OTC's, Captain Black White, Seven Seas Royal. I have never tried the Classic Burley Kake, but I will put that on my list to try. You should try Peter Stokkebye French Vanilla, it's quite yummy.

Bob
01-15-2013, 23:55
Oh am I ever impressed, did you kick Bob out of the room? I also like some of the OTC's, Captain Black White, Seven Seas Royal. I have never tried the Classic Burley Kake, but I will put that on my list to try. You should try Peter Stokkebye French Vanilla, it's quite yummy.

She loves the French Vanilla, and the B&B by Peter Stokkebye. Actually those are also two that I enjoy.

morty58
01-16-2013, 00:05
The French Vanilla is sooooo good. P.Stokkebye has great tobacco blends as does Lane's.

rubyyadan
01-17-2013, 17:59
I have a fairly wide range of taste: I love Turkish Black, Gawith pure Turkish, Dunhill NC, EMP and RY., and also Amphora Red.

ozark southpaw
01-17-2013, 18:23
1. Burley
2.Burley
3.Burley
I mostly smoke the OTC burleys but also like the Mac Baren burleys and some of John Pattons stuff. Recently tried Solani Aged Burley Flakes and really like that also.