PDA

View Full Version : Kinsale and sherlock holmes?

Jason64
12-28-2012, 06:46
Hi folks,
While I was browsing among peterson models,I came across kinsale collection and found them in exact shape as sherlock holmes collections.
I would be grateful if you could tell me their differences and why holmes ones are much more pricy
Thank you

Bob
12-28-2012, 14:44
The silver hallmarks is what I think.

Jason64
12-28-2012, 18:53
So thats it?only a sterling silver band?

Bob
12-28-2012, 19:15
They are very collectible, you can tell a lot about a Peterson from its hallmark.

http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/hallmarking.html

Bob
12-28-2012, 19:48
Another thing is the quality if the briar, it has to be pretty much flawless in order for it to make it into the Sherlock Holmes Series.

Wyatt James
12-29-2012, 00:11
Think Bob nailed it. Isn't Carl the big Pete guy? Hopefully he will chime in

Tony Malerich
12-29-2012, 04:48
Flawless is a relative term, as many smooth Holmes pipes still have some number as fills (the SH naturals are totally fill free with excellent grain). The finishes are often nicer on SH. The smooth are waxed while a smooth Kinsale tends to have the acrylic finish (there are exceptions to this, too - newer "red spray" SH pipes are a good bit cheaper than reg SH and have an acrylic finish). If you like a rustic finish, Kinsale is a great way to go as those aren't sealed with acrylic. Some collectors (probably rightly) believe Kinsale devalued the SH line, but it's great for Peterson as they can rusticate a pipe and sell it as a Kinsale for a lot more than an Irish Second.