PDA

View Full Version : Robert McConnell's

Etph3030
02-05-2013, 05:57
I was browsing the Kohlhase and Kopp site, and noticed that they also blend the McConnell's line of tobacco. Does anyone here have an input on how this particular line is? Thanks!

HCraven
02-05-2013, 11:33
So far I've tried Scottish Blend, Scottish Cake and Glen Piper. Scottish Cake is my favorite of the three so far: a robust blend of dark-fired Kentucky, Virginia and Perique that really satisfies. Scottish Blend is pretty much what the name suggests, sort of a companion to something like Rattray's Jocks Mixture, both of which include some Cavendish with a Virginia/Oriental/Latakia mixture. I love Glen Piper for what it is as well, not so much an everyday thing, but a nice change. My review of it is posted here: http://www.pipesmokerunleashed.com/forum/showthread.php?2172-Robert-McConnell-Glen-Piper&highlight=glen+piper . I got a sample of Maduro from a friend, too. Not what I expected (no cigar leaf), and a little flat considering what's in it, but I could see where it might grow on you.

On my short list to try: Scottish Flake, Oriental, Folded Flake and Red Virginia.

Etph3030
02-05-2013, 15:10
Thanks Herb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whalehead King
02-05-2013, 21:29
This was my first tobacco. I've smoked the Red Virginia and the Oriental. I liked them both but moved on to other things in my smoking adventures. I should pick up a tin.

Smoke in good health.

lestrout
02-07-2013, 22:03
Etph - McConnell's, even the current K&K renditions, are mighty fine. Several occupy my Top100 Cellar. I suspect the only reason more aren't there yet is that I haven't popped them yet. They don't get the press that the HTFs attract, but they should.

hp
les

Etph3030
02-08-2013, 03:12
Etph - McConnell's, even the current K&K renditions, are mighty fine. Several occupy my Top100 Cellar. I suspect the only reason more aren't there yet is that I haven't popped them yet. They don't get the press that the HTFs attract, but they should.

hp
les

I greatly appreciate the input. Next time TAD strikes, I'll be sure to add some.

Arkie_
02-08-2013, 14:40
Glen Piper is ok but, IMO, not worth a second tin. Oriental is one of my favs and I keep it in my rotation. It is (as the name says) a blend entirely of different oriental leaf. There is no Va, burley or lat.

brian stephen
10-20-2013, 00:58
McConnell's Scottish Flake would be my first pick as far as Va.'s go, with Folded Flake a close second.

Scottish Blend and Oriental for the McConnell mixtures. Glen Piper is a good first bowl o' the day blend. Subtle complexities best experienced with a clear palate and quite good, imo.

Etph3030
10-20-2013, 05:55
McConnell's Scottish Flake would be my first pick as far as Va.'s go, with Folded Flake a close second.

Scottish Blend and Oriental for the McConnell mixtures. Glen Piper is a good first bowl o' the day blend. Subtle complexities best experienced with a clear palate and quite good, imo.

Thank you for the input Brian. Since this post, I have tried only the Red VA...and absolutely loved it. The last order I placed I wanted to try either the Scottish Flake or the Scottish Cake, however P&C was out of stock. I did get two tins of the Folded Flake that I am eagerly waiting to crack.

Brooklin Bill
10-20-2013, 11:00
I smoke Scottish Cake, a Ken-Va-Per and Red Virginia a Va-Per fairly regularly. Both are mild to medium flavours which I quite like. The Cake has more perique than the red va but neither of them would be at the top of a perique hound's list as it is used sparingly. Barely noticeable in the red virginia but it makes for a little lift from the grassy, earthy viginia base. I would recommend that they are blends everyone should try to see if it fits for them.

There is some history here too. McConnells was taken over by Kolhase & Kopf in 1986 and I seem to remember that there was a battle between Germain and KK for the ownership of the firm. Not sure when KK took over the blending of McConnells but it was a long time ago.

BillyPM
10-20-2013, 15:35
And I'll add that Special London Mature (NOT Mixture) is a fine light aromatic of Virginias and a nut flavor of some kind. I should get a tin.

Peter Piper
10-20-2013, 15:39
The Original Oriental is one of my favourite blends. Although the last tin I had was inexplicably high - overwhelmingly so - on Latakia and I have taken this up with K&K. They have been very receptive to my emails and I will be sending them a sample to analyse.

And a new best friend is Scottish Cake, will deffo be getting more of that.

philofumo
10-22-2013, 19:25
I love Robt. McConnell's Latakia Flake.

It's not really a trad Lat blend, more like a St. Brunoesque flavor, and a very stout smoke too! Big N.

I've seen on the German shops that they sell Pure Burley and Pure Kentucky,
Pure Va. was recently made available over here, I'd love to have some Pure Kentucky!

vampeta
10-26-2013, 15:44
I strongly recommend scottish flake, Virginia + kentucky flakes, very nice, probably the most easy to smoke flake I've never tried.

Markus1970
02-28-2016, 16:21
Hello,

Just finished my first tin of Scottish Flake and enjoyed it. Mild to the tongue yet spicy in an interesting way, not peppery.

Scottish Cake is all that a friend at our meetings at Peter Heinrichs in Cologne smokes, and I can see why. It could be a great choice for me if I ever wanted to stick to one blend. I almost did that when I had a tin of it.

The Oriental, I thought would make for a good replacement of Dunball Nightcap. I think it has to be well dried, then smoking it feels like biting on a piece of velvet. I don't think I've ever felt the texture of a smoke like I did with that one. That was before I started jarring tobaccos. From a later tin, jarred and not properly dried, it was far less impressive.

Best wishes
Markus

jimbo44
02-28-2016, 17:04
....Scottish Flake ...... Mild to the tongue yet spicy in an interesting way, not peppery.

It always had a touch of oriental tobaccos in it when blended in UK - as many Va's did undeclared (like GLP Laurel Heights has a whisper of Latakia) - not enough to do other than act as a slight condiment.
Sounds as if K&K have followed the recipe.

Markus1970
02-28-2016, 17:18
It always had a touch of oriental tobaccos in it when blended in UK - as many Va's did undeclared (like GLP Laurel Heights has a whisper of Latakia) - not enough to do other than act as a slight condiment.
Sounds as if K&K have followed the recipe.

The content as quoted from a website that sells it (my translation): "Red Mottled Virginia and Carolina Leaf, to which small amounts of Turkish Havana and medium-strength Kentucky are added to achieve a balanced texture of flavours"

Brooklin Bill
02-28-2016, 17:23
Yes it is good stuff Markus certainly a favourite of the McConnells offerings.

Huub Hendrikx
02-28-2016, 19:29
When it is available I smoke sometimes the Scottish Cake and that blend is very nice.

But for me the best one of Robert McConnel is this 31372

I regret it very much that it is nowhere available in Europe, although blended in Germany.
It is a delightfully spicy Virginia flake comprising two Virginias, fired Kentucky, and Perique.

Pipe Smoker
02-28-2016, 19:32
Unfortunately, none of McConnell tobacco not good for me. Is it because of the smell, or something else, I do not know ..... not my cup of tea.

St. Bernhardt
02-29-2016, 10:11
Kohlhase & Kopp makes very good interpretations of tobaccos in general... So I bet Robert McConnell is excellent, too.