PDA

View Full Version : Ferndown Pipe Tobacco

Hoshneer
04-17-2013, 18:35
So I fell in love with a tobacco that is apparently hard to find. I tried some searches and a little investigation and have come up with nothing.

Does anyone know if Ferndown Black & Tan is still in production or if the tobacco is even sold anymore in the USA?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hoshy

HCraven
04-18-2013, 01:44
Can I assume that you bought the lonely tin Tony had at Georgetown?

I checked all of my usual haunts online, and Mars Cigars is the only one that even still lists Ferndown tobaccos, and Black & Tan is out of stock there, too. You might send an email to Pipestud (http://www.pipestud.com/301.html) and let him know you're looking for it. He gets a lot of odd tins on his website and eBay store, and might be able to find someone who wants to sell some old stock.

Hoshneer
04-18-2013, 06:25
Yes, sir. I bought the poor guy on a whim, it turns out it is pretty darn good. I will check it out man, I appreciate it. I think the only way I may be able to get it is if it comes from across the pond. :/

Tony Malerich
04-18-2013, 16:54
Yes, sir. I bought the poor guy on a whim, it turns out it is pretty darn good. I will check it out man, I appreciate it. I think the only way I may be able to get it is if it comes from across the pond. :/

I feel like I saw a tin in my neighborhood. I'll keep an eye out. I'd be happy to grab it if you like, though RI taxes are a bit steep so it may be $15-$20…

Burllenz
06-04-2013, 06:00
As you will keep an eye on the guy, you will find it some way or the other. But once edict-ed to tobacco, then its very difficult to leave it.

Paul
06-04-2013, 18:29
As you will keep an eye on the guy, you will find it some way or the other. But once edict-ed to tobacco, then its very difficult to leave it.

Huh?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

brian stephen
10-07-2013, 00:08
I believe the Ferndown lines are no more.

Red & Orange and Black & Tan were my faves.

BillyPM
10-07-2013, 00:19
I believe the Ferndown lines are no more.

Red & Orange and Black & Tan were my faves.

And Mild Brown was mine. ...sigh... Still got two tins and I'm scared to open them. I oughtta get over that and enjoy the stuff while it lasts.

brian stephen
10-16-2013, 18:33
And Mild Brown was mine. ...sigh... Still got two tins and I'm scared to open them. I oughtta get over that and enjoy the stuff while it lasts.

Billy, you might give Rattray's Brown Clunee a try. Both are similar and made by the same blender. (K&K)

BillyPM
10-16-2013, 18:39
Billy, you might give Rattray's Brown Clunee a try. Both are similar and made by the same blender. (K&K)

Good idea, Brian. Let's see... I do believe I've got a baggie with a bit of Brown Clunee somewhere in this here closet... GOT IT! Here goes.

BillyPM
10-16-2013, 23:40
So-- Brown Clunee is not a bad substitute for Ferndown Mild Brown! BC is a tad stouter and less sweet, especially with the Kentucky and Perique, although both are administered with a very light hand. The good ripe brown Virginias are very similar, however, and the BC is a darned good smoke.

Thanks for the tip, Brian! I'll be buying some of this STAT.

brian stephen
10-17-2013, 03:02
So-- Brown Clunee is not a bad substitute for Ferndown Mild Brown! BC is a tad stouter and less sweet, especially with the Kentucky and Perique, although both are administered with a very light hand. The good ripe brown Virginias are very similar, however, and the BC is a darned good smoke.

Thanks for the tip, Brian! I'll be buying some of this STAT.

So glad to hear!

Helping one another is what true pipemen do. Anything else would be uncivilized. :wink:

On a side note, does anyone here remember the story about how Brown Clunee got it's name??

Brooklin Bill
10-17-2013, 04:09
So glad to hear!

On a side note, does anyone here remember the story about how Brown Clunee got it's name??

I'll bite?

BillyPM
10-17-2013, 05:04

Bring it, Brian.

brian stephen
10-17-2013, 15:36
Sorry, but the reason I ask is because my lack of memory.

I'm still looking for it.

RP McMurphy
10-17-2013, 15:45
Sorry, but the reason I ask is because my lack of memory.

I'm still looking for it.

Hey! I'm with ya on that........I'm still trying to remember what I want to forget.
That and when your asking a legitimate question, everyone thinks your setting them up for a joke. :dash1:

brian stephen
10-17-2013, 15:51
Hey! I'm with ya on that........I'm still trying to remember what I want to forget.
That and when your asking a legitimate question, everyone thinks your setting them up for a joke. :dash1:

So true. lol

Brooklin Bill
10-17-2013, 17:24

Well I couldn't find out the reason Brian. Maybe this will jog your memory. Clunee is a somewhat rare male name which means in Gaelic - "from the meadow".

Pitchfork
10-17-2013, 18:05
Clunee could be "cluan Aodha" -- the meadow/field of Aodh, i.e. Hugh's Meadow.

Hoshneer
10-18-2013, 07:09
Thanks so much for the replies. I may have to try this out. I jump around on forums a lot and just noticed you guys switched over to a new board. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

HCraven
10-18-2013, 11:49
Glad you found us again, Rex! Don't be a stranger.

Hoshneer
10-18-2013, 14:56
Thanks Herb!