PDA

View Full Version : Another Armellini

UtahBob
09-08-2013, 23:53
http://s495.photobucket.com/user/knobby1041/media/8-26/8-26034_zps8ef14ee3.jpg.html

I think Armellini pipes are the Robert Vacher's of Italy. Beautiful pipes, great smokers, and undervalued.

Jesla
09-09-2013, 00:41
Very nice…..kinda has a Sav. Autograph look.

BillyPM
09-09-2013, 03:39
It does, indeed Jeff. Quite a pipe!

Brooklin Bill
09-09-2013, 03:50
I think Armellini pipes are the Robert Vacher's of Italy. Beautiful pipes, great smokers, and undervalued.

I must agree with you. I only own one and have lost several on bids. Definitely a sleeper.

HCraven
09-09-2013, 04:11
Absolutely stunning pipe, Bob!

oldpipe
09-10-2013, 02:43
Outstanding Armellini Bob. I have 2 Armelilini pipes but nothing close to yours.

RP McMurphy
09-11-2013, 02:45
That is a nice one sir. I really like Mauro Armellini's, specially the older ones that Mauro made and have about 6 or 7. The later ones are of his daughters work Wilma's.
Sadly some of hers lack her dad's attention to detail I think.

BillyPM
09-11-2013, 02:52
I've never owned one, Bob-- but I've also never heard a single negative comment about them. Everyone who has one loves it. Glad for you!

Briar Spirit
09-11-2013, 07:35
Great smoky ashtrays, that is one stunning looker right there, there is something 'VERY' appealing about that shape, hope it serves you well for many many moons to come. :)

UtahBob
09-11-2013, 19:01
That is a nice one sir. I really like Mauro Armellini's, specially the older ones that Mauro made and have about 6 or 7. The later ones are of his daughters work Wilma's.
Sadly some of hers lack her dad's attention to detail I think.

Nice to see you here, Mr. BPM!! Yeah, Mauro's pipes don't come up too often on ebay, but so far I've had great luck with Vilma's output. Some of the newer designs are even too weird for me, but the wood quality is great, and haven't seen any problems with hers or her son's (think he's joined her in the shop). Hope you keep posting!!

RP McMurphy
09-11-2013, 23:34
Nice to see you here, Mr. BPM!! Yeah, Mauro's pipes don't come up too often on ebay, but so far I've had great luck with Vilma's output. Some of the newer designs are even too weird for me, but the wood quality is great, and haven't seen any problems with hers or her son's (think he's joined her in the shop). Hope you keep posting!!

Oh! her son has started into it now, I didn't know that. I seen a really bad pickaxe by them and I thought it strange that she would make something so horrible. It must have been her son's then. It wasn't weird, it's was just misformed, real sorry looking. I only collect the old mans.

UtahBob
09-12-2013, 04:45
How do you tell Mauro's from the newer ones? Did he use a different stamping? If you want to see some odd looking designs from them, check out www.lepipe.it

RP McMurphy
09-12-2013, 11:27
Bob, It's a secret so I'll whisper it. the older ones that Mauro did have a brass rig around the white dot on the stem.
Ah Gees! that didn't work did it?

UtahBob
09-12-2013, 15:50
Good enough. It'll just be between the two of us.

Brooklin Bill
09-12-2013, 16:20
I eaves dropped and now know mine is a newer model. You guys left your computers open on your desk again. Interesting to note that the name Armellini denotes Italian provenance but the pipes are actually made in Israel.

UtahBob
09-12-2013, 18:01
Bill, what is the link to that information. I'd really like to read about that, and given that nearly all the new Armellinis on ebay are being sold out of Israel, that definitely sounds like it's on target. I'm wondering if there are certain lines that are still being made in the original shop, since a lot what I've seen listed at http://www.lepipe.it/ as Armellini certainly doesn't look like what's shown on the Armellini website.

RP McMurphy
09-12-2013, 18:02
I eaves dropped and now know mine is a newer model. You guys left your computers open on your desk again. Interesting to note that the name Armellini denotes Italian provenance but the pipes are actually made in Israel.

Israel? Mauro and Vilma are Italian and live in Italy and the pipes are stamp Italy. You saying they have production in Israel now? I'm not sure about that sir. Would love to know why you say that.

RP McMurphy
09-12-2013, 18:06
Bill, what is the link to that information. I'd really like to read about that, and given that nearly all the new Armellinis on ebay are being sold out of Israel, that definitely sounds like it's on target. I'm wondering if there are certain lines that are still being made in the original shop, since a lot what I've seen listed at http://www.lepipe.it/ as Armellini certainly doesn't look like what's shown on the Armellini website.

Ah! I see what he's saying. I could contact Armellini and order sevarl of there new pipes and sell them on eBay but, that doesn't mean there made the the U.S.A.

Brooklin Bill
09-12-2013, 20:22
I had read somewhere that Vilma's son had branched off on his own and moved to Israel making his own pipes there. Something about a more stable currency when Italy and Greece were facing their bankruptcy worries. I was under this impression but perhaps it was just for marketing pipes made in Italy. I cannot find the info now. I also was under the impression that the son had introduced many "new looks" and as you point out there is a difference at the lepipe.it site. I thought that all of the pipes made in Italy always had the "pipe cleaner' through them while his son discontinued this practise.

I'm certainly no expert on this I only own one of his pipes and am sad to say lost many auctions for them by putting on price limits and failing to raise my wallet to the bar.

UtahBob
09-12-2013, 20:54
thanks for the information, Bill. I know I've seen pictures on the website showing a young man in the shop, but I have no idea if it's Vilma's son or just an employee. The website continues to show pipes with the thread/cord/length of buffalo sinew ;) threaded thru them but, again, since they don't sell pipes directly (AFAICT) that doesn't mean they're new/available. Some that are definitely new are these stubby little nosewarmers, with "interesting stains", called Botera.

RP McMurphy
09-12-2013, 22:26
I had read somewhere that Vilma's son had branched off on his own and moved to Israel making his own pipes there. Something about a more stable currency when Italy and Greece were facing their bankruptcy worries. I was under this impression but perhaps it was just for marketing pipes made in Italy. I cannot find the info now. I also was under the impression that the son had introduced many "new looks" and as you point out there is a difference at the lepipe.it site. I thought that all of the pipes made in Italy always had the "pipe cleaner' through them while his son discontinued this practise.

I'm certainly no expert on this I only own one of his pipes and am sad to say lost many auctions for them by putting on price limits and failing to raise my wallet to the bar.

I would assume they are just marketing there and he didn't move there. It would seem a drastic move but, you may be right. I would like to see that if you ever find it again. As far as the difference between pipes verse the sites, many pipe makers don't always market everything they make to the US or other countries. Really unsure why but, I would think that has something to do with European taste verse America and so on. Different style tastes through out the world. Just my opinion.

UtahBob
09-13-2013, 05:15
Just to bring this back to the original topic, the pipe showed up today. String thru the bowl and all. I tell ya, I may have a tough time firing this one up as the inside of the bowl is as smooth as the outside, and has the same straight grain! Never seen anything like it (which isn't saying much, I'm sure there are lots of things I've never seen like anything else).

RP McMurphy
09-13-2013, 11:12
Just to bring this back to the original topic, the pipe showed up today. String thru the bowl and all. I tell ya, I may have a tough time firing this one up as the inside of the bowl is as smooth as the outside, and has the same straight grain! Never seen anything like it (which isn't saying much, I'm sure there are lots of things I've never seen like anything else).

With every new pipe I purchase be it estate or brand new I always hesitate to put a match to it. Sometimes taking months before I finally do and sometimes never depending on how much I paid for it. The more I paid the longer it takes me to put a match to it.