PDA

View Full Version : Capstan Navy Cut RR

allyby
09-30-2013, 11:07
http://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/capstan-ready-rubbed-pipe-tobacco-50g-pouch#

Does anyone know if this is the same stuff thats sold in the tins.

Peter Piper
09-30-2013, 12:07
I've seen this discussed elsewhere Ally and the answer seems to be as clear as mud. Personally, I don't see how the same name/brand of tobacco would be different just because of the packaging.

As I am sure you know, though, while Capstan "Blue" RR has continued to be available here in pouches, it disappeared from the American market. It was reintroduced a little while ago to an amazing amount of hype and a lot of so-called experts, who should know better in my opinion, have duly pronounced it as the greatest thing since sliced bread. In fairness, they have four varieties to choose from, all tinned: "blue" and "yellow" (Gold Navy Cut) in both RR and flake form.

There you go, all cleared up now? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/wink.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Briar Spirit
09-30-2013, 12:17
I have never tried either version to be honest Ally so I couldn't tell you is the rub of it, I don't doubt that some one here will know, hopefully if his schedule permits Jim will be able to reply, as you know Jim knows a heck of a lot about a myriad tobacco blends.

St. Bernhardt
09-30-2013, 12:48
I tried the Capstan R/R in a pouch say about 6 years ago when I was in London... at that time, to my great disappointment, Capstan R/R was almost as fine cut as cigarette tobacco.

Mac Baren now has the license to produce the Capstan tobaccos (Flakes and R/R in tins) but I believe that the R/R in pouches are still made in the UK by Imperial Tobacco Company... not sure if it's still as fine cut but at least it was back then.

allyby
09-30-2013, 12:52
I tried the Capstan R/R in a pouch say about 6 years ago when I was in London... at that time, to my great disappointment, Capstan R/R was almost as fine cut as cigarette tobacco.

Mac Baren now has the license to produce the Capstan tobaccos (Flakes and R/R in tins) but I believe that the R/R in pouches is still made in the UK by Imperial Tobacco Company... not sure if it's still as fine cut but at least it was back then.

Thats what i thought, it seems the packet stuff is diffrent a bit like the Three nuns, sold here in the UK.
Thanks.

vampeta
09-30-2013, 13:31
never seen the rr pouched version in Italy, as far as concerns tins, really a few few of the older orlik's ones are still around, Mac baren's ones are already everywhere here, got one,I still have to open, quite curious to compare...

jimbo44
09-30-2013, 15:49
The pouched version in UK is very mild, fine cut (may have got a bit coarser under the new anti ROY classification laws) tobacco with a bit of the old Capstan flake aroma; to me it bears little other resemblance to the bolder darker flake version (either then or the new or the in-between era's!).

allyby
09-30-2013, 21:34
Thanks Jim, Kirk was right if anyone knew it was you my Friend.:yes: