PDA

View Full Version : New Blend from G L Pease

Peter Piper
10-18-2013, 17:33
I see details of Greg's latest creation, apparently named "Gaslight," are being carefully leaked via selected sources.

Are we all excited?

dmcmtk
10-18-2013, 17:46
The only GLP tobaccos I've tried are Westminster, Caravan, and Cairo. I liked them all, particularly the first two. From what I've been seeing elsewhere, there is no definitive information. It's great for marketing, but I don't think GLP really has any problem with that. He has a good tease on his website.

dmcmtk
10-18-2013, 18:01
"On a misty, moonless night, along twisted cobblestone lanes illuminated only by the glow of ancient iron lanterns, you follow a scent as dark as the night itself, the exotic fragrance hauntingly familiar, compelling, irresistible..."

As I said, I don't think GLP has any problems with marketing!

Brooklin Bill
10-18-2013, 18:03
Sounds mysterious ........Gaslight doesn't bring to mind what the blend might be. I have had Cairo, Embarcadero (great stuff) and Filmore. He's a good blender.

I stole this:
On a misty, moonless night, along twisted cobblestone lanes illuminated only by the glow of ancient iron lanterns, you follow a scent as dark as the night itself, the exotic fragrance hauntingly familiar, compelling, irresistible... :surprised:

Peter Piper
10-18-2013, 18:06
I know, bollocks isn't it?

It's not as if his blends can't stand on their own merits. My own experience is so far sadly limited to just one, Union Square, but it is undoubtedly one of the finest tobaccos I have ever enjoyed.

I guess the hyperama just irks me a bit. Maybe it is a necessary evil of the modern age of marketing.

HCraven
10-18-2013, 18:11
I've had a few of Pease's tobaccos as well, and I have enjoyed the ones I've tried, but at some point I think I get a little overwhelmed by the number of blends that one company has available. Greg doesn't yet have the number McClelland or C&D have, but he's starting to push into that territory, which makes a new release less exciting for me.

dmcmtk
10-18-2013, 18:12
Are his tobaccos available in the U.K., I assume yes? Just curious.

Peter Piper
10-18-2013, 18:15
Are his tobaccos available in the U.K., I assume yes? Just curious.Only a limited range and at exorbitant prices from one select outlet: http://cigars.gauntleys.com/offer/gl-pease

allyby
10-18-2013, 18:33
Gaslight is a new Lat blend.!

HCraven
10-18-2013, 18:59
Only a limited range and at exorbitant prices from one select outlet: http://cigars.gauntleys.com/offer/gl-pease

Ouch! When Pease first came on the scene, his blends were marketed as premium selections (rightfully so, but still...), and I recall the prices in pipe shops in those days being about 30% more than anything else on the shelf, but at 50% more than a comparably sized tin of Dunhill, it does seem quite expensive. I suppose you pay the price for exotica, though.

jimbo44
10-18-2013, 19:07
Only in UK though - remember they're a full 2 ounce (not 50 grammes - i.e. 14% more)..

Peter Piper
10-18-2013, 19:26
Fair point Jim, but it still comes out at over 16 for 50g, which is dear even by UK standards.

dmcmtk
10-18-2013, 19:29
For informational purposes, a quote from another forum by Greg Pease,

"Well, I guess the jig is up. Gaslight will begin making its way to the dealers at the end of the month. Yes, it is a latakia mixture in pressed form. I've smoked a ridiculous amount of the stuff over the past couple months, and am very excited about. It's rich, satisfying, and burns very slowly, especially when sliced relatively thick. I hope others enjoy it as much as I do. So far, my guinea pigs have been quite complimentary of it. Then again, can we really trust anyone who 'reviews' free tobacco"

jimbo44
10-18-2013, 19:38
I've guinea-pigged for Greg - difficult to fault free baccy!

allyby
10-18-2013, 19:39
Fair point Jim, but it still comes out at over 16 for 50g, which is dear even by UK standards.

Have a look at the Davidoff Flake Medallions Chiz.

http://www.thepipeshop.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue__Davidoff_Pipe_Tobacco_37.html

Peter Piper
10-18-2013, 19:48
Have a look at the Davidoff Flake Medallions Chiz.Ally, I know. And your point is...?

EDIT: I have just re-read this and it comes out ruder than I meant, please don't take it that way!

allyby
10-18-2013, 20:02
Ally, I know. And your point is...?

EDIT: I have just re-read this and it comes out ruder than I meant, please don't take it that way!

Not a problem mate, my point is though, that Gauntley's have had to import these from the US, and are liable to pay all import taxes to be honest Chiz that price to me does not seem to be to bad compared to the prices we already pay for our tobacco.

Peter Piper
10-18-2013, 20:06
As you say Ally, our baccy prices are horrible anyway. Perhaps our American friends will look boggle-eyed at what we have to pay and be thankful for small mercies!

allyby
10-18-2013, 20:13
As you say Ally, our baccy prices are horrible anyway. Perhaps our American friends will look boggle-eyed at what we have to pay and be thankful for small mercies!

Just be thankful that your'e not paying the prices in Canada that Bill's Paying mate.!

HCraven
10-18-2013, 20:16
It is some consolation that we have access to cheap pipe tobacco... well, a lot of consolation, actually. Having what lately appears to be a very broken system of government is a mixed bag on the whole, though. :pipetach:

Reborn Briar
10-18-2013, 20:20
I wonder if he will supply Glynn Quelch? Maybe not at the start but I am sure Glynn was instrumental in getting them introduced to Gauntley's in the first place.

If you didn't already know - Glynn has left Gauntleys and is setting up his own website, ready to go online soon. www.gqtobaccos.com

allyby
10-18-2013, 20:25
I wonder if he will supply Glynn Quelch? Maybe not at the start but I am sure Glynn was instrumental in getting them introduced to Gauntley's in the first place.

If you didn't already know - Glynn has left Gauntleys and is setting up his own website, ready to go online soon. www.gqtobaccos.com

Yip i heard all about that Alan, I would imagine that they would supply him though, time will tell i suppose.
Talking of time, that website has been on test mode now for about a month.

micwen
10-18-2013, 21:16
And i buy my baccy in Germany or in Gb for about half the price i have to pay in Sweden. The prices here are insane!

allyby
10-18-2013, 21:28
And i buy my baccy in Germany or in Gb for about half the price i have to pay in Sweden. The prices here are insane!

How much say for 50 grms in Sweden.?

micwen
10-18-2013, 22:13
235 SEK = 22.65 . http://www.brobergs.se/sv/category/240/Ashton

Sent from Tapatalk

Reborn Briar
10-18-2013, 22:18
Ally, he's had issues with the bank, sorting out accounts, merchant accounts and payment methods. He had hoped to go live this week. I am sure it will be soon as he was telling me all his stock is in place.

allyby
10-18-2013, 22:23
Ally, he's had issues with the bank, sorting out accounts, merchant accounts and payment methods. He had hoped to go live this week. I am sure it will be soon as he was telling me all his stock is in place.

Thanks for the info Alan.
I'll keep watching his site.!

RP McMurphy
10-19-2013, 12:22
I must be the only one on this planet that doesn't care for GLP blends.
I had Fillmore and Union Square and thought they were both terrible.
That stopped me from trying anymore.

brian stephen
10-19-2013, 16:43
I must be the only one on this planet that doesn't care for GLP blends.
I had Fillmore and Union Square and thought they were both terrible.
That stopped me from trying anymore.

Nope. Not at all.

I actually like Union Square and Fillmore. But on a whole, I don't care for C&D tobaccos. I wish Greg could source the tobaccos used in the Friedman & Pease days again.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who enjoys C&D tobaks. It's just that I've had a few quality control issues with them, and much prefer McC and British/ European tobaks. YMMV.

Brooklin Bill
10-19-2013, 17:09
235 SEK = 22.65 . http://www.brobergs.se/sv/category/240/Ashton

Holy Government taxes Batman - that boils down to around $43 Canadian.

Peter Piper
10-20-2013, 23:09
More from the horse's mouth: http://glpease.com/