PDA

View Full Version : Sweet English Blends?

BillyPM
10-27-2013, 19:05
At this stage of my journey into English blends, I have certainly smoked some wonderful tobacco. Punchbowle, Penzance, Presbyterian, are all quite good and I'm nowhere near done yet. But this Frog's Cellar I'm smoking has got me pining for some other sweetened Englishes. I know they are a good bit rarer than the more sec varieties, but I bet there are some good ones around. I can think of And So To Bed and Pembroke from Esoterica, Cognac from SH, and...um...uh... OK, that's all I can think of.

Etph3030
10-27-2013, 19:25
I'm not quite one to give input on English blends, as I tend to shy away from Latakia. I don't necessarily dislike it, I just really have to be in the mood for a blend with Latakia in it.

That being said, I received a sample of MacBaren's HH Highland quite a while back, and really enjoyed it. I remember it being more VA forward, with just a smidgen of Latakia. But the scotch whiskey casing was just right, which also made for a pleasant aroma.

BillyPM
10-27-2013, 19:37
I received a sample of MacBaren's HH Highland quite a while back, and really enjoyed it. I remember it being more VA forward, with just a smidgen of Latakia. But the scotch whiskey casing was just right, which also made for a pleasant aroma.

You interest me strangely, especially since I do love The Malthouse Founder's Reserve (also scotch flavored). And anything MB with HH in front of it is worth serious consideration, methinks. Thanks!

brian stephen
10-27-2013, 19:45
Try;

McC Frog Morton

McC Old Dog

McC Full Balkan Reserve

McC 3 Oaks Syrian

McC Frog Morton On The Town

These aren't like super sweet, but they make use of semi/unsweetened Black Cavendish. McC are the masters of sweetened Latakia mixtures, imo.

Pitchfork
10-27-2013, 19:55
Ditto on Frog Morton and Frog Morton On the Town.

And ditto for 3 Oaks Syrian, which is a close cousin and (imho) one of the best English blends around.

Another to try is Fusilier's Ration (Hearth and Home). It's a crumble cake like Penzance, but it has some kind of vaguely sweet, anise-like topping. It's very good and almost has a cake-batter flavor to it. If it were stronger in nicotine, it would be a regular for me.

Brooklin Bill
10-27-2013, 20:27
Since I saw your post Billy I've been wracking my mind for a 'sweet' style English and I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. While I haven't tried any of those suggested, I can't remember anything I've smoked that would offer Virginia style sweetness as they nearly always contain oriental tobaccos which are not by nature 'sweet'. Interesting to see what develops from this.

BillyPM
10-27-2013, 20:34
Since I saw your post Billy I've been wracking my mind for a 'sweet' style English and I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. While I haven't tried any of those suggested, I can't remember anything I've smoked that would offer Virginia style sweetness as they nearly always contain oriental tobaccos which are not by nature 'sweet'. Interesting to see what develops from this.

Thanks, Bill. It will be interesting for sure. I'm convinced that a topping of some kind will have to be present to get the sweet thing over the top of the orientals, just as you say. I know Frog's Cellar has that whiskey thing going on. It sure is nice to have the ability to smoke some Penzance or some Punchbowle, and then go for the sweeter side of English. And hey-- if all I've got on that front is FMC, I'm still happy.

Peter Piper
10-27-2013, 20:37
I find Samuel Gawith's Balkan Flake to be quite naturally sweet, although that may be just my strange, British palate! Despite the name it contains just Va and Lat, which may explain it?

philofumo
10-27-2013, 21:53
Like Chiz, I find another SG Lat to be sweet, Commonwealth, just a lovely natural Va sweetness.

Sillem's London Blend is on the sweet side as well, it's one of my faves.

Reborn Briar
10-28-2013, 03:31
Many of the American/English blends have Cavendish added which sweetens the blends. Frog Morton On The Town also has Basma leaf which is another sweeter tobacco.

jimbo44
10-31-2013, 15:02
There seems to be two sorts of sweetness - the "crossover" sweetened blends like Frog Morton and the "naturally" sweet blends that derive the sweetness just from the constituent tobacco's (as some mentioned above).

My favourite of the naturally sweet is McClelland Wilderness blended by Fred Hanna; IMO, one of the best mixtures ever produced since the demise of the old English companies.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=3947

Peter Piper
10-31-2013, 15:05
Sounds good Jim, another one to add to the list, cripes!

St. Bernhardt
10-31-2013, 15:09
I'd recommend Rattray's Red Rapparee... due to the high content of Oriental leaf, the tobacco has a nice natural sweet taste and smell to it.

Bob
10-31-2013, 15:33
C&D's Mississippi Mud
Park Lanes Black Forest
Just For Him's Shortcut To Mushrooms

Sent from my HUAWEI H883G using Tapatalk

brian stephen
11-26-2013, 20:18
I've just discovered Drew Estate's Meat Pie, after reading Craig Cobine's review.

A seemingly strong English type mixture with a bit of sweetness, say along the lines of 965. Not sure if there's Black Cavendish in this blend (not listed in the ingredients) but it wouldn't surprise me, due to the large amount of dark leaf.

It's an underlying sweetness that works really well in this full bodied mixture.

Peter Piper
11-26-2013, 20:22
And you just have to love the name "Meat Pie!"

brian stephen
11-26-2013, 20:27

Still trying to warm up to the name. :cheesy:

BillyPM
11-26-2013, 21:59

Actually-- I don't.:wink:

Gunsmoke
11-26-2013, 22:55
I'll give a +1 to 3oaks Syrian Definitely one of the best "Englishes" I've tried & it has some sweetness to it. I would also recommend IRC gourmet English It's really good.

whiskey
11-27-2013, 01:18
Actually-- I don't.:wink:

Give me a few days to get through Thanksgiving and maybe we can meet up Uptown's or another Nashvegas shop and I will bring you a healthy sample of Meat Pie to test.

Markw4mms
11-27-2013, 01:48
I recommend trying Boswell's Northwoods. Here's a link to some reviews. http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2729/boswell-pipes-tobacco-northwoods

brian stephen
11-27-2013, 03:59
There seems to be two sorts of sweetness - the "crossover" sweetened blends like Frog Morton and the "naturally" sweet blends that derive the sweetness just from the constituent tobacco's (as some mentioned above).

My favourite of the naturally sweet is McClelland Wilderness blended by Fred Hanna; IMO, one of the best mixtures ever produced since the demise of the old English companies.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=C&TID=3947

Along with the tin of Meat Pie, I picked up some of Fred's Legends at the B&M yesterday. It has that underlying sweetness like Wilderness, only less pronounced.