PDA

View Full Version : Corn Cob Pipes

Bob
02-07-2012, 13:13
I love them!! They are inexpensive and great smokers. If I break or lose one I don't go into grieving over a lost friend. I get more compliments and positive comments from strangers when smoking a Cob in public than I do my Briars. They are great for testing new tobaccos. I just can't think of anything negative to say about them, except maybe for the stem. But for under $10.00 on the average you just can't beat a Cob!!:)

aace57
02-07-2012, 14:19
I just love Cobs. I have 3 with one on the way.

olderthandirt
02-07-2012, 15:02
Got to be the best bang for the buck out there, no doubt.

Travis Gill
02-07-2012, 18:14
70% of the time i seem to be reaching for a cob now. It wasn't very long ago i was laughing at all the cob lovers on PSF. They were right they are great no fuss smokers.

Markw4mms
02-07-2012, 22:11
I have 3, and love them! I have to agree with Bob about the stems. I wish MM would do a revamp with a higher quality stem.

IrishRover
02-26-2012, 11:26
Lateley I've been smoking more briar than cob. Maybe it's the weather? I found myself smoking the cob more outside, like a yard pipe.
TIme to break one out after reading this thread.. I do like the way they smoke

Häxan
02-27-2012, 07:45
I would love to have a cob with a long ultra slender shank, that would be classy and down home all in one!

ol gto
02-27-2012, 09:26
I enjoy my cobs. I do need to get some of the smaller size to add to my rotation. I notice most smokers are hesitant to use a cob in public, why? Most folks are anti smoking, so why would I care if they don't like "how" I do it...:cool:

Lestrade
02-27-2012, 09:32
Love my Cobs as well!

WyoBob
02-27-2012, 10:45
I enjoy my cobs. I do need to get some of the smaller size to add to my rotation.

Have you seen the MM "Morgan"? It's a great nose warmer and clincher at 18 grams. It looks like a miniature Diplomat. The Morgans I have are natural finish. I don't know if they come with a plaster finish.

They're great smokers. They come with short stems but a longer "Pony" stem will also work.

WyoBob

ol gto
02-27-2012, 11:12
Have you seen the MM "Morgan"? It's a great nose warmer and clincher at 18 grams. It looks like a miniature Diplomat. The Morgans I have are natural finish. I don't know if they come with a plaster finish.

They're great smokers. They come with short stems but a longer "Pony" stem will also work.

WyoBob
Thanks, I'll check those.

AndyLowry
02-28-2012, 02:36
I have one that my father passed along to me that's gotta be 40 years old. It's a great smoke, but then so are the new ones...

I don't smoke cobs all that regularly, but it always warms my heart to see them on the rack waiting. They speak of old times and passtimes, and times gone past. They're comfort pipes, in the sense that meatloaf is comfort food.

HCraven
02-28-2012, 02:51
After having only one cob in my rack for many years (and it didn't get used much) the cob bug caught up to me, and I have acquired another six of them in the past year, everything from a Mini to a General. I still need more.

WyoBob
02-28-2012, 02:58
Thanks, I'll check those.

Here's a picture with the Morgan's on the outside, Diplomats in the center. You'll have to call the factory for availability.

Last year, I had a 71 minute smoke out of a Morgan with LNF. The bowl capacity isn't that much less than the Diplomat.

WyoBob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/cigars/002.jpg

Paul
02-28-2012, 02:58
There is no complete collection that doesn't have at least one cob. Though took me a while to find the one that works for me, love my Country Gentleman cob :) !

ol gto
02-28-2012, 10:33
Thanks, Yep there my wallet screaming again...lol

Here's a picture with the Morgan's on the outside, Diplomats in the center. You'll have to call the factory for availability.

Last year, I had a 71 minute smoke out of a Morgan with LNF. The bowl capacity isn't that much less than the Diplomat.

WyoBob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v620/WyoBob/cigars/002.jpg

cobbsmoker
05-02-2012, 13:35
I cut my pipe smoking teeth on cobs and burley blends and cobs were all I smoked for well over a decade, I do own a few other pipes, but I will always smoke a cob, it was my first pipe smoking experience and like the old saying goes "First impressions, are lasting impressions"!

DGErwin11
05-02-2012, 18:42
Simply put,cobs rule.

Puff The Magic
05-02-2012, 22:07
Every tool its purpose! Cobs take it and gives it back in smiles & grins!;)

Ed
Puff

blueview
09-23-2012, 02:34
I'm on a limited budget and after purchasing 1 new Brigham and 1 used Brigham and a new Golden Gate churchwarden plus a dozen tobacco blends I was tapped out. I still felt that I needed at least another pipe or a dozen so I bought a MM Washington bent cob with my last tobacco order. What a revelation! I removed the Medico filter and lit up a bowl of Molto Dolce and this pipe performed beautifully. I don't smoke aromatics that often but I heard that they can ghost a pipe so I didn't want to try the Molto Dolce in a briar. While the bowl did get hot (no cake build up/brand new) the smoke was cool and abundant and it smoked clear to bottom with no relights. I can't wait to get a few more of these wonderful cob smokers.

HCraven
09-23-2012, 03:21
They are excellent smokers, Blueview, but you need not build any cake in them as the cob itself is absorbent enough. Be careful not to heat them up excessively, as it is possible to burn through them. That said, they may feel a little warmer to the touch than a similar briar pipe will, especially the Washingtons, which sometimes have thinner walls. I have one in my collection and it smokes fine, but if you get into some of the larger pipes, like the Country Gentleman, Diplomat, or General, you may find that they heat up less.

Glad you've seen the light of the cob!

Herb

DGErwin11
09-23-2012, 04:29
Welcome to the corn cob club. I don't think I am overly smitten with cobs. I only have 17 in regular rotation.:rolleyes:

I slightly disagree with Herb. I think a very light layer of cake makes them better.

blueview
09-23-2012, 16:30
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I plan on getting a few more of these corny gems. Now that I've discovered them I can't imagine having a collection that doesn't include them. Great value and performance. A much better use of corn than turning it into ethanol.

Jesla
09-25-2012, 15:14
Rarely do I smoke a briar any more…A Walker stem and a cob or two is all you really need.…