PDA

View Full Version : How long have you been smoking pipes?

itsbaker
01-10-2012, 15:57
As a fairly recent convert to pipe smoking and an active lurker on a number of boards, I've noticed that there seem to be two groups of smokers, newer ones who have started in the last few years and those who have been smoking for decades.

I'm interested to see what everyone's experience is here.

As for me, I picked up a pipe once back in college, but for the most part only smoked cigars for the last 15 years. I stopped smoking at all about 6 years ago when my daughters were born, and picked up the pipe again about 2 years ago. I'm really enjoying the flexibility and variety that comes with pipe smoking that you can't get with any other type of smoke.

Paul
01-10-2012, 16:34
Anything that is legal to smoke, I smoke it...so it wasn't that much of a surprise when I ended up with a Dr. Grabow and a pouch of Captain Black on my 20th Birthday.

I've been smoking a pipe now for 15 years, but I really still consider myself a newb because you never stop learning some really cool stuff and I only started to really smoke a pipe daily in the past year or 2.

Clanobucklin
01-11-2012, 20:58
I have been a pipe smoker for over 23 years. You can't pigeonhole me as I like all "Well made tobaccos" that would include Aros, English, Heavy English, Flake, VaPers, and Crossovers.

Markw4mms
01-13-2012, 23:27
I picked up the pipe back in '78, so I've been puffing quite a while.

Steve Laug
02-01-2012, 00:10
A long time. started at 16 or 17 then stopped in my early 20s. I picked it up again with the birth of my first daughter when I was 27. I am now 57 so I guess that means 30+ years.

MacT
02-01-2012, 00:13
About a year here!

Bob
02-01-2012, 00:23
Since I was about 14 or 15.

Wyatt James
02-01-2012, 22:02
I'm about 8 months in

Paul
02-01-2012, 23:27
I'm about 8 months in

Wow, it's been that long already.

smokindawg
02-04-2012, 21:22
It's been 6 years last December.

Before that, I was never a cig smoker and only smoked a cigar once a year.

I don't do anything half way, so since taking up the pipe, I've gotten into making pipe racks, tampers and pipes. Began refurbing pipes then buying and selling them. I have also attended pipe shows every year and always make the upcoming show in St. Charles/St. Louis Missouri. I've attended as many as 5 shows in one year.

drdca
02-04-2012, 21:33
45 years with about a 15 year gap!

Bryan David Campbell
02-14-2012, 17:45
Been about a year for me...did try several years ago but had no clue on packing or lighting and put the pipe in a draw for years. I got back into pipesmoking a few months back as I was spending a fortune on cigars. There no tobacconist in my area so I was purchasing cigars two or three at a time from the local liquor store who by the way has a very nicely stocked humidor.

Well, after the wife read me the riot act after a week of intense cigarsmoking I sought an alternative. I picked up a pouch of of Captain Black and dug out the 'ol pipe and the frustration started once again. So I began searching the internet for pipesmoking tips and stumbled upon PipesandCigars...the rest well is history. I purchased 5 pipes over the last several months and about a dozen tins and a Home & Hearth sampler. Now I can't wait to retire to my art studio/woodworking shop for a nice respite.

I have found I don't care for aromatics (or at least haven't found one I do) but have enjoyed trying the blends I have purchased. My favorite at the moment would be Anniversary Kake or Larry's Blend from my H&H sampler, but I also like Early Morning and Navy Flake.

brendoxman
02-14-2012, 20:07
Been smoking cigars for several years but always loved the smell of a pipe so eventually bought a starter kit online plus a couple of sample blends.

Had very little idea of what I was doing but knew a bit about tobacco as I work in the trade. Spoke to my boss who was a pipe smoker, he gave me a couple of pipes and advice and here I am today, a very happy smoker - not every day, but whenever I can! - its difficult when the wife is so dead against it!!

Luckily i spend alot of time travelling around the world visiting tobacco suppliers so I get to smoke a fair bit and sample some interesting straight tobaccos.

Hermit
02-14-2012, 20:15
Not quite four years for me.
After over three decades of enjoying
cigars, I finally discovered pipes.
What the hell took me so long? :(

HCraven
02-15-2012, 01:37
I started smoking back in college, when I was 21 or 22, so it's been a little over twenty years, though I've picked up my pace a bit in the last couple of years, now smoking a pipe or two nearly every day. I'm likely to increase my pipe smoking a bit more this year, though, as my goal is to cut out the infernal cigarettes entirely.

Herb

Etph3030
02-15-2012, 02:48
I started smoking back in college, when I was 21 or 22, so it's been a little over twenty years, though I've picked up my pace a bit in the last couple of years, now smoking a pipe or two nearly every day. I'm likely to increase my pipe smoking a bit more this year, though, as my goal is to cut out the infernal cigarettes entirely.

Herb

Best of luck to you! I was in the same boat. However I've been on the pipe for almost a year and without cigarettes for about six months. It can be done!

Capt04
02-15-2012, 02:49
Smoking pipes for about 15-16 years, cigars for about 13 years. I have more cigars than I could smoke in 3 lifetimes.

T-Bear
02-24-2012, 02:22
I took up the pipe at the ripe old age of sixteen...thought it would impress the girls. That went nowhere, but I enjoyed the whole ritual/routine and stuck with it. I'll be seventy next month, so that makes...........a long time! lol

HCraven
02-24-2012, 22:30
Best of luck to you! I was in the same boat. However I've been on the pipe for almost a year and without cigarettes for about six months. It can be done!
Thank you for your encouraging words. It will be an uphill battle, but I'm gearing up for it.

IrishRover
02-25-2012, 12:15
Cig smoker for way longer than I'd like to admit..
Pipes well started and stopped about 15 years ago - the bite nailed me and I had no pipe friends to help figure that out...
Then my best friend-brother, bought us a a pair about 5 years ago. We were supposed to start together again but, we rarely see each other.. so, about 2 years ago I finally lit up.

Archer
02-25-2012, 13:07
Cig smoker for way longer than I'd like to admit..
Pipes well started and stopped about 15 years ago - the bite nailed me and I had no pipe friends to help figure that out...
Then my best friend-brother, bought us a a pair about 5 years ago. We were supposed to start together again but, we rarely see each other.. so, about 2 years ago I finally lit up.

Same here, except my smokin pal was my dad,who Im trying to wean off cigs...by pipe!

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Bailey331
03-01-2012, 19:44
I started this year...It was my new years resolution. LOL

nsfisher
04-22-2012, 22:38
16 years on the pipe. But exclusively for the past year.

WVDAVE
04-24-2012, 17:34
Less then 1, but I'm picking up steam.

Arkie_
04-24-2012, 20:11
About 40 years. Wasn't able to get quality blends until recently so most of my expeirence has been with oTCs and B & M house blends.

Johnny
04-29-2012, 21:23
Been at it on and off for a little over four years now. Started to get away from cigs but still working on that

cobbsmoker
05-01-2012, 02:13
I've been smoking a pipe for over 13 years.

mike68
05-01-2012, 09:41
10 months..

St. Bernhardt
05-11-2012, 11:42
I recall very well when I started smoking a pipe...

That was back in 1986 when my father gave me a pipe, urging me to start smoking a pipe. I went to grammar school back then, and my fellow students went "HUH?!" when I pulled out the pipe, filled it with bacci and fired it up!

SeanBen
06-28-2012, 10:13
Around 4 months ago...Please share some experience about it..I am new..

briarbrian
06-30-2012, 00:57
Cigarettes for 17 yrs, quit them and didnt smoke for about 3-4 yrs. Then started on cigars for about 4 year then pipes for the past 12 years.

Acaciavet
06-30-2012, 02:02
Was around pipes all my life Grandfather smoked one 1967 I went aboard Coast Guard Cutter Acacia and I purchased two Doc Grabows that I Still have today. It's been a great ride.

TampaPipester
07-29-2012, 15:40
Hi all. I'm a new member and this is only my second post.

I smoked a pipe for the very first time while in college at age 20 (I had a burning desire to try a pipe since I was 13 years old). I had confidence issues when I was younger so I didn't continue after this first introduction to pipe smoking...but the desire never left me. However, life got busy for me in the 20's (marriage, job, fatherhood) and I didn't become a full-time, dedicated pipe smoker until my 39th birthday; April 24, 1998. I was married at the time and my wife didn't like that I started pipe smoking. But I enjoyed pipe smoking tremendously and wanted to be able to enjoy pipes and cigars in life...so I didn't give in to pressure from outside forces this time; I continued to smoke because I wanted to and I enjoyed it (I just had to smoke in the basement, outdoors at at a tobacco shop).

I divorced in 2004 and now I've got complete freedom to smoke as often I want and anywhere in the apartment where I live. I smoke every evening and as often as possible on the weekends. Despite the frustrations and opposition along the way, I've been a happy pipe smoker for 14 wonderful years now.....with no intention of ever stopping!

jpberg
07-29-2012, 18:15
October, 1986, so pushing 26 years of happy puffing. It took me a month of visits to With Pipe and Book (Lake Placid, NY) to figure out that a cigar habit was going to burn up my savings quickly, the owners guided me to my first pipe and tobacco, and when I do look back, it's with gratitude and fond memories of that dearly departed shop.

clovis-man
08-07-2012, 18:41
Been smoking pipes since 1965.

Puffingthebriar
10-07-2012, 20:02
Got my 1st pipe in 1988 i was 18 then and ive had a pipe around the house ever since, but ive been smoking it full time now around the 3yr mark, and im still learning and searching for that ultimate tobacco, i like many others have tried all kinds and ive waisted a lot of money trying to find that aromatic that tatsed like it smelled, i now know i dont like aromatics , but im still searching for the perfect smoke but im enjoying the ride, ill always be a pipe smoker and i love it, my only regret is that i should of kept smoking it at 18, ive missed so many yrs of a truly great hobby.

tedvig
10-08-2012, 18:04
Started when I was 15. Smoked on and off ever since. Didn't get serious until the last couple years. Enjoying it thoroughly.

rubyyadan
01-17-2013, 17:55
...for 50 years, since I was 17. (Shall I lend you my abacus?:rolleyes:)

BayouBrad
02-16-2013, 06:12
3yrs now and it has been great. Been dipping on and off for almost twenty years .

mike68
02-16-2013, 14:00
About a year and a half...:D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

morty58
02-16-2013, 19:21
Over 30 years, took a break while my daughter was young I smoked cigs then, faster when you are busy. Back full time and loving it.