PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Tobaccos

Bob
02-22-2012, 20:09
I have tried a few of their blends and have found them to be high quality tobacco blends. I really like White Tail English a lot (thanks Paul). I just sent a request for a sample of the White Tail Natural, it sure sounds tasty!! Has anybody here had any of their blends? What is your opinion of Sterling tobacco?
http://sterlingtobaccoco.com/index.html

nsfisher
02-22-2012, 21:48
Hey Baskerville;

I have quite a few of Sterling Blends and are as follows:

Sweet Briar
My Buddy
Double Eagle
Chairman of the Board
American Patriot
White Tail Aromic
Nantucket Cherry

About the only one i really disliked was Nantucket Cherry, I traded it away to member on another forum. My favourite of the list is American Patriot(English) with Chairman of the Board as a close second. I wasn't too keen on the White Tail Aromatic but i can smoke it. My Buddy is pretty good as is Sweet Briar, Double Eagle is supposed to be good but i find it plain. All in all, Sterlings has some pretty decent baccys. A little pricey but i save that on the shipping fee. They ship here in Canada for $6.54 compared to $15.00 - $25.00 that i pay from others.

Markw4mms
02-22-2012, 22:37
I really like 1776 Tavern, and Klompen Kloggen.

Bob
02-22-2012, 23:05
I really like 1776 Tavern, and Klompen Kloggen.

I'm glad that KK found a good home Mark, it just didn't agree with me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!!

Markw4mms
02-22-2012, 23:16
I'm glad that KK found a good home Mark, it just didn't agree with me!!

It's not something I'd smoke every day, but it's not half bad. Thanks for letting me try it! I just wish Sterling made a straight VA, or a good VA/Per.

Bob
02-22-2012, 23:44
I just wish Sterling made a straight VA, or a good VA/Per.
So do I Mark.

Markw4mms
02-23-2012, 00:50
So do I Mark.

Maybe we should put in a request.

Paul
02-23-2012, 01:58
You're welcome Bob! Glad you like it :) !!

I've probably stated elsewhere, I'm big fan of Jack's blends and I have at least a little of almost all of his blends.

Klompen Kloggen was my favorite for awhile - but tastes changed, went back to it the other day and didn't quite agree with me.

But off the top of my head I have:

Klompen Kloggen
White Tail Natural
White Tail Aro
Boston Whaler Packet
My Buddy (real light English blend that's one of a small few that don't give me problems)
5 Star
Hunnicut
Double Eagle
Tahiti Blend
Tom & Jerry
Southern Host
The Piper's Choice
Sweet Briar
1776 Golden Eagle
Country Store Aro

Paul
02-23-2012, 02:00
It's not something I'd smoke every day, but it's not half bad. Thanks for letting me try it! I just wish Sterling made a straight VA, or a good VA/Per.

He does, you may have to ask him, last time I did photos for Jack he sent me a sample of a Va/Per blend.

Simply called Sterling 1776 Virigina Perique

http://www.psaphotos.com/photos/i-WWrXMHL/2/M/i-WWrXMHL-M.jpg

Markw4mms
02-23-2012, 03:54
He does, you may have to ask him, last time I did photos for Jack he sent me a sample of a Va/Per blend.

Simply called Sterling 1776 Virigina Perique

http://www.psaphotos.com/photos/i-WWrXMHL/2/M/i-WWrXMHL-M.jpg

How was it, Paul? I looked on their website, and don't see it there.

Paul
02-23-2012, 05:09
How was it, Paul? I looked on their website, and don't see it there.

I think sometimes with him, if it's not on his website you can call or send him an email and ask for it.

Believe it or not - I haven't smoked it yet...forgot I had it until this thread popped up. It doesn't have that typical "dirty feet" pungent smell from Perique heavy blends...almost get a hint of chocolate or something. I'll have to light up a bowl tomorrow and give it a try.

ETA: Mark, I just looked, it's on his website: http://www.sterlingtobaccoco.com/newest.html should be the very last one.

Markw4mms
02-23-2012, 05:34
Cool, let me know what you think of it. I might have to get some. I'd ask for a sample, but I've already gotten one from them. (1776 Tavern)

Paul
02-23-2012, 06:19
:) No problem...like I said in PM, I'll be happy to send a few bowls your way and I'll make a point of smoking a bowl of it myself sometime tomorrow so you can have and idea of what to expect :) !

I really like his blends a lot and even his "light english" blends are light enough in the Lat that I can smoke them and still get a taste of it w/o the after effects...so I expect good things from the Va/Per.

Bob
02-24-2012, 00:42
Paul what are your thoughts about the White Tail Natural?

Paul
02-24-2012, 01:16
I kind of found the White Tail Natural a little bland the first few bowls that I tried. But I think when I got this stuff it was very "fresh", so I jarred it to let it get some age, and at the current time I am heavy into this aromatic mode I can't seem to shake.

I think I'm starting to pull out of it a bit, so I think I'm going to take this blend out again and give it a couple of bowls with the morning coffee tomorrow so I can give you a better answer :) !

But Bob, as always, I would be happy send you a few bowls worth...you have a much more experience palate then I :) !

On another note:

The Va/Per blend...not quite working for me...I didn't read the blend description last night; he does classify it as an Aro (so I guess I was right when I smelled something resembling chocolate/cocoa).

But the write up is spot on for what I was tasting:

"Often called “vaper”, VP is a blend of toasted Virginia and perique, a very mild and tasty smoke. A very pleasant blend, sweet and flavorful, with some subtle spiciness. The perique is never over bearing, but never too far back to forget. Some say there is a slight nut-like aroma and flavor. Very out-doorsy. It is mild, no tongue bite."

There was definitely a sweetness to it, but I can't quite discern if it was the natural VA sweetness or the casing/topping, and there was just enough Perique in the background that it would pop out now and then...definitely not a Perique heavy blend.

It's definitely one of these blends I wouldn't mind always having a couple ounces off, but it's not something I would be smoking with any frequency...but I'm still developing my palate, so to speak...so I'd be very curious as to what Mark thinks about the VaPer.

Bob
02-24-2012, 01:23
Thanks Paul, I have a sample on the way from Sterling. A VaPer aro? Doesn't sound like something I would like.

Paul
02-24-2012, 01:27
Thanks Paul, I have a sample on the way from Sterling. A VaPer aro? Doesn't sound like something I would like.

Yeah I kind of thought the same...it's definitely not like the other Va/Per blends I have had before, I don't know if it's because of that, or because I'm a huge fan of Mac Baren blends and I love the HH Acadian Perique and use that as my fix.

Markw4mms
02-24-2012, 01:40
I'm looking forward to giving it a try, Paul!

Wyatt James
02-24-2012, 04:34
So far I have just had the Southern Host, which i really like and i'm looking to put together an order soon

Paul
02-24-2012, 04:39
So far I have just had the Southern Host, which i really like and i'm looking to put together an order soon

If you want to "break in" to the English blends, get a small amount of My Buddy, it's light in the Lat...If you wanna go all in, I understand the American Patriot is really good.

Wyatt James
02-24-2012, 04:42
I have seen the My Buddy and its at the top of my wish list

Paul
02-24-2012, 04:46
One of these days I'll have to put a care package together - I have close to 1/2 of the Sterling Blends either in my rotation or in the "cellar". And I know I have some of the my buddy hiding in a jar.

Bob
03-30-2012, 05:05
I just got a email from them saying he is raising prices again. IMHO he was already to high in his prices. I don't think I will be ordering from him again, there are other good tobaccos out there for a lot less. If you like his blends you better stock up before the price increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drdca
03-30-2012, 05:15
I agree with you -- nice stuff, but.....

Paul
03-30-2012, 05:27
I got that email too and was disappointed to see the price increases...I'm fairly well stocked up...but when another of my fav's, Mac Baren, cost me about 8-10 buck for a 100g tin, that's where my money will end up going...I definitely agree, Bob, his prices were already a bit steep.

Markw4mms
03-30-2012, 05:48
Yeah, Jack's blends ain't cheap, that's for sure. BTW Paul, I know I had told you that Sterlings VP smelling like it had some Black Cavendish or something similar in it, and it wasn't really ringing my chimes as a VA/Per. I have to say that after smoking a few more bowls of it, the flavor was starting to grow on me. I've smoked it all now, and while I wouldn't rush out to order a pound of it, I don't think it's nearly as bad as I had thought when I first tried it.

Paul
03-30-2012, 06:11
I think my problem with the VaPer blend is I just can't place the exact flav of it...I think I still have a few bowls worth around...I may have to check it out again.

I kind of pigeonholed myself with VaPers...there are two that I just absolutely love, the MacB HH Acadian Perique and GLP's Haddo's Delight...when I get something that's totally different from those two...I kind of go "meh"...and pass.

Though I may still pick up a few more of the Sterling Blends I haven't tried before prices go up...perhaps I'll grab a few more ounces of the VaPer and give it another whirl...

Markw4mms
03-30-2012, 06:39
I'm sure you've tried Escudo (I would hope), but another you might try is C&D Red Carpet. I really like this blend a lot. RC is a Va/Per with red VA's, Perique, and a dash of Izmir oriental thrown in for good measure. I find it to be just balance in this blend to be just about perfect, not too sweet, nor too spicy.

Paul
03-30-2012, 06:50
Ironically, Escudo is one that I haven't tried...C&D's Red Carpet is on my list of TAD...it sounds similar to their Sunday Picnic which is another one I like...and I love the Turkish baccy

nsfisher
03-30-2012, 06:52
Yes indeed. It is a shame that Jack has to raise his prices and I hope it doesn't hurt his orders. I like many of Sterlings blends but find the price to be too high already. The shipping price however is awsome! Maybe i will have to get a few more blends before the increase hits.

Markw4mms
03-30-2012, 06:57
Yeah, I really like RC, and I only have maybe two bowls worth left of it. I'm sure I'll get another tin though.Next up for me is a tin of C&D BMF.

Paul
03-30-2012, 07:10
I'll have to dig out my P&C Calendar, for some reason I want to think that one of the months was a sale on C&D blends.

Markw4mms
03-30-2012, 07:27
I don't have one of their calendars, so if it is, let me know.

Paul
03-30-2012, 15:37
I don't have one of their calendars, so if it is, let me know.

To bad Ginger isn't around :( !!! I have to search for 'em..at one point I had a few of them around...if I find them, I'll start a thread with the nifty lil' sales :)

Markw4mms
03-30-2012, 22:53
That would be cool!