PDA

View Full Version : This Just In

coalsmoke
12-16-2016, 18:17
According to Consumer Report's sister website, consumerist.com, a group of the House of Representatives known as the "Freedom Caucus", "...wants cigarettes and other tobacco products removed from under the regulatory thumb of the Food and Drug Administration."

'The worst fear of cigar manufacturers and smokers alike has been that the FDA will impose the same onerous pre-market review requirements on cigars that it currently places on cigarettes,' writes the caucus."

Brooklin Bill
12-16-2016, 18:29
Oh so it has become inconvenient for the politico Big Boys then. Hmmm action?

coalsmoke
12-16-2016, 18:40
Oh so it has become inconvenient for the politico Big Boys then. Hmmm action?

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.

Piffyr
12-16-2016, 18:48
Thanks for the heads up, Russ. I hadn't seen that.

Personally, I'll believe it when I see it.
I take the same approach. It's also worth noting that Tom Price, the President-elect's pick to head the HHS, voted against giving the FDA regulatory control of tobacco products. The anti-tobacco coalition is a bipartisan one though and very vocal. Like Troy said in another thread, it's hard to peel these things off of the wall once they've been stuck there.

Rockbass
12-16-2016, 19:03
Does give a glimmer of hope though.

Piffyr
12-16-2016, 20:01
Does give a glimmer of hope though.
Read through the other 231 rules that they want repealed or revised and you may (or may not) change your mind about that.

HCraven
12-17-2016, 14:00
Meh, more political grandstanding. As usual, they've taken an extreme and untenable position by demanding that cigarettes be deregulated with the rest of tobacco products. Not gonna happen.