PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Dark Fired Under Fire

Piffyr
04-18-2017, 19:28
Kentucky Dark Fired tobacco is my absolute favorite leaf. Any blend that contains it in an appreciable amount is worthy of my attention. So, I find this article to be particularly horrifying...

http://wkms.org/post/ag-officials-unachievable-fda-standard-would-devastate-ky-dark-fired-tobacco

As if the new FDA rules weren't draconian enough, they're still seeing fit to further tighten the screws. The worst part is that they're doing it without the slightest oversight whatsoever.

misterlowercase
04-18-2017, 20:05
What a total drag.

The bad news just keeps coming.

Hopefully Mr. Quarles can upstart a good quarrel and squash the silly bureaucrats.

I am enraged by all of this FDA crap.

Buroak
04-18-2017, 20:32
While the rule looks only to affect smokeless tobacco, I cannot see how anything that hurts production of KDF fails to eventually hurt pipe smokers.

dmcmtk
04-18-2017, 20:38
"The Obama FDA, literally the last day in office promulgated a rule that would have implemented a scientific standard that would be unachievable by tobacco farmers for NNN....instead of proposing a rule and asking for comments from the public, which is the normal course of business, the Obama FDA issued the rule and asked for comments afterwards.

Kind of sums it up, the political legerdemain of the last administration on its way out. The gift that keeps on giving in so many, many different ways...:doubledown:

Brooklin Bill
04-18-2017, 20:43
Just Kentucky alone has $400 Million in tobacco revenue. Give that up I don't think so but ?

Buroak
04-18-2017, 21:16
Just Kentucky alone has $400 Million in tobacco revenue. Give that up I don't think so but ?

Yes, we are lucky to be able to rely on pecuniary considerations to motivate opposition to this rule. Thank goodness we do not have to bank our hopes solely on high-minded ideals like leaving each other alone.

Piffyr
04-18-2017, 21:22
While the rule looks only to affect smokeless tobacco, I cannot see how anything that hurts production of KDF fails to eventually hurt pipe smokers.
Tobacco farmers don't grow crops with a specific delivery method in mind. It's up to the manufacturers to decide how to use the leaf and in what products. So, setting an unattainable standard for one product sets the de facto standard for all others unless the choice is made to stay away from those products altogether. Considering that the tobacco industry seems to see smokeless as the way to the future, I don't see that happening. You're in or you're out.

coalsmoke
04-18-2017, 23:04
With the FDA going after smokeless tobacco products, the agency has clearly shown that it is anti-tobacco and not simply anti-smoking. :toting:

Hawky454
04-18-2017, 23:12
I'm anosmic to Dark Fired. I don't seem to really taste it but I'm sure I'd miss it if it were gone. I know it's adds body and depth but I just don't get any smokiness that most people speak of.

Piffyr
04-19-2017, 00:05
I'm anosmic to Dark Fired. I don't seem to really taste it but I'm sure I'd miss it if it were gone. I know it's adds body and depth but I just don't get any smokiness that most people speak of.
I have a little pure dark fired leaf here. It's intended for blending but every now and then I'll smoke it straight. If you'd like, I'll send you a bit to help you distinguish the flavor.

Gus
04-19-2017, 05:24
another, sad news.....

Hawky454
04-19-2017, 13:38
I have a little pure dark fired leaf here. It's intended for blending but every now and then I'll smoke it straight. If you'd like, I'll send you a bit to help you distinguish the flavor.

I have the Gawith Hogarth Kendal Kentucky. That would essentially be the same thing, right? I never figured out if this was an actual blend or just one varietal?

Brooklin Bill
04-19-2017, 15:39

I learned a new word today. Dark fired is just "smokey" to me. But not unpleasant.

Piffyr
04-19-2017, 17:13
I have the Gawith Hogarth Kendal Kentucky. That would essentially be the same thing, right? I never figured out if this was an actual blend or just one varietal?
I don't think Kendal Kentucky is purely dark fired. I've always surmised that there's a base Kendal blend that gets tweaked with flavorings, added leaf, or ratio adjustments to make the different versions, but I could be wrong. In any case, it has a flavor all its own with that distinctive GH&C note.

I learned a new word today. Dark fired is just "smokey" to me. But not unpleasant.
I had to look it up, Bill. I thought Dave's autocorrect was acting up again.

As to the flavor of Kentucky Dark fired, to my taste it's peat-like and earthy with a bit of Perique-like spice in addition to the smoky notes. The spice isn't as pronounced as Perique, mind you, but still evident.

BillyPM
04-19-2017, 17:25
Well described, Anthony. I'll add that there is a bitterness (not even remotely unpleasant) to DFK that seems important in some of the the blends I like.

Hawky454
04-19-2017, 21:28

Lol.

Hawky454
04-19-2017, 21:30
Well described, Anthony. I'll add that there is a bitterness (not even remotely unpleasant) to DFK that seems important in some of the the blends I like.

I guess that might be what I'm picking up in both Revor and Latakia Flake then, eh? Cause I do get a very pleasant bitterness from those blends.

Simon G
04-19-2017, 21:40
I guess that might be what I'm picking up in both Revor and Latakia Flake then, eh? Cause I do get a very pleasant bitterness from those blends.

I'm just guessing but, the flue cured tobacco in Revor might be giving off that bitterness. Then again I'm not anosmic, still trying to work out what that word actually means. Lol. Or if it really exists at all?:search:

Hawky454
04-19-2017, 21:54
I'm just guessing but, the flue cured tobacco in Revor might be giving off that bitterness. Then again I'm not anosmic, still trying to work out what that word actually means. Lol. Or if it really exists at all?:search:

Lol. Y'all are funny. anosmia essentially means loss of smell, like those who wear cologne become anosmic to their scent cloud so they think they need to wear more but it ends up choking everyone else out in the room cause they can smell it fine.
Since smoking a pipe deals with both taste and smell it could be possible that I misused the word but if you are anosmic to something chances are you won't be able to taste it either since taste and smell are so closely related.

No package yet, huh? I'm getting nervous about that. Hope it comes soon.

Simon G
04-19-2017, 22:06
Lol. Y'all are funny. anosmia essentially means loss of smell, like those who wear cologne become anosmic to their scent cloud so they think they need to wear more but it ends up choking everyone else out in the room cause they can smell it fine.
Since smoking a pipe deals with both taste and smell it could be possible that I misused the word but if you are anosmic to something chances are you won't be able to taste it either since taste and smell are so closely related.

No package yet, huh? I'm getting nervous about that. Hope it comes soon.

Thanks for the explanation hawky, now I half believe the word exists, just got to learn how to pronounce it correctly.Lol!
No parcel yet mate. Wouldn't worry though, cause of the Easter holidays it will be a bit later than normal.

Hawky454
04-19-2017, 22:42
Thanks for the explanation hawky, now I half believe the word exists, just got to learn how to pronounce it correctly.Lol!

LOL!!!

PyrateMate
04-21-2017, 19:25
Aye Lads, aside from them words we cannae use... Here in Bama the last tobacco farm in the northern part o the state shut down two years ago wit the local media actin like they won the blasted lottery. Truth of it were that it was a family run business that the spawn were not interested in, bein indoctrinated by said media that it were an evil business. Ohh, but they wants to carve it up fer subdivisions... Greed be OK but not the baccy!

Piffyr
04-21-2017, 19:31
Aye Lads, aside from them words we cannae use... Here in Bama the last tobacco farm in the northern part o the state shut down two years ago wit the local media actin like they won the blasted lottery. Truth of it were that it was a family run business that the spawn were not interested in, bein indoctrinated by said media that it were an evil business. Ohh, but they wants to carve it up fer subdivisions... Greed be OK but not the baccy!
Well said, John. They'll probably build a McDonald's on that land at some point in the future, because trans fats never hurt anybody, right?