PDA

View Full Version : Last read post?

telltime
03-17-2012, 14:22
I must be a overlooking something...

In virtually every forum I've been a member of, when I open a thread that I've previously viewed it takes me to the first new post since I read that thread last. Does this forum include that feature? Am I overlooking the right thing to click on in my profile to have this happen?

I found the explanation page for Linear, Hybird, etc. but none of those seem to get me what I want. Is this something a Mod. can help me with?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jesla
03-17-2012, 14:30
The little green arrow to the left of the post title.....

telltime
03-17-2012, 14:45
The little green arrow to the left of the post title.....

Thanks, Jeff... but isn't that just taking me to the most recent post and not my first (last) unread post?

The other forums I've been on had a way I could go to "my" first unread post. That way if I was away from the forum for a while (like when I'm at work) and return, I can see what's been posted since I last looked without having to try and figure out where I last left off.

This is helpful, esp. in a popular forum where page numbers can grow.

Is this forum lacking this feature?

Carl
03-17-2012, 14:55
Each thread listed has a green button to the left of the thread title. That should tale you to the first unread post

olderthandirt
03-17-2012, 15:07
vBulletin is pretty helpful when it comes to tracking new posts telltime.

The easiest way for me is to simply select the "What's New?" icon found at the top toolbar of each page as soon as I log in.

You'll be presented with a list of all threads that have changed since you last logged out.

Then, as mentioned above, simply select the green dot with an arrow that's next to each the thread title listed. This will take take you to the first new post since you last looked at a given thread.

telltime
03-17-2012, 15:13
Thanks, everyone... I realize that I can go to the newest posts, but that's a but different than the last unread post (which is what I'm actually looking for).

I've belonged to a lot of forums in my time because of various hobbies (British sport car, watches, fountain pens) and every one had this as a feature. This is the first time I've encountered a forum without it. It's not a showstopper, but does make it a little more difficult to navigate for what I'm used to (and like)...

Again, if this does exist on this forum and someone knows where it is, just please let me know. Thanks.

Jesla
03-17-2012, 15:21
The green button to the left of the post title will take you to your last unread message, the green button on the right by the poster name will take you to the newest post......it's all here as before just in slightly different places for the buttons.....

Paul
03-17-2012, 15:23
When you go into a thread, at the top of the thread there should be an option that say view first unread:
http://www.psaphotos.com/photos/i-Q89WWcJ/1/XL/i-Q89WWcJ-XL.jpg

olderthandirt
03-17-2012, 15:24
Provided you log out when your not actually reading or posting and use the Whats New when you first log in you'll always see unread posts since you last logged out.
This will also work throughout a session while you are logged in to a certain extent.

ETA: I forgot about the first unread icon that Paul points out above! I'm old...

Carl
03-17-2012, 15:25
And also

http://www.pipesmokerunleashed.com/images/psu/psu_last_unread.JPG