Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who likes War Horse Bar?

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Who likes War Horse Bar?

I just received some War Horse Bar, War Horse Ready-Cut and some War Horse Green Plug.
    While the Green is strangely enjoyable the Ready Cut (that suppose to be a VaPer) tastes like crap....at least to me and, the Bar I haven't tried after reading it is of a Lakeland essence.
    I'm rather kinda of pissed because I spent a little over $50 for four tins of this nasty stuff. So, Who like's this @&?*$! stuff?
    "JUST HONEST HANDMADE SMOKING PIPES"

http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Never had any of them but they're on my list. What blends do you like?

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm primarily an Escudo and ODF man but, I enjoy other blends now and then from Dunhill, McClelland's, Germain, C&D and GLP.

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Well, I don't know what you want to do with all of them, I was going to say I'd trade you tin for tin, one of my ~year old Escudo tins for one, but the logistics don't quite work out since you probably paid $13-14 per tin and then we'd each have to pay shipping.

Never mind, I see ready cut is $10.29 currently. It's not a VaPer , but a few kinds of burley for strength and then VA and Perique after.

Real Name
    Ron
    Pipe smoker since
    unsure anymore

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I've got Escudo coming out my ears but, if someone would trade me 6 ounces of ODF for the 1 unopened War Horse bar and 2 War Horse Ready Cuts (one opened missing 2 bowls) PLUS a 2015 unopened tin of Dunhill Flake I'd be up for it.
    Last edited by RP McMurphy; 06-21-2017 at 01:20.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Never tried the stuff ....lots of chit chat about it though.
    One day you will just be a memory for some people, do your best to make it a good one.

Haven't tried it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Who likes War Horse Bar?

I'm the other way around, I like the Ready Cut but think the Bar and the Green are some ill conceived blends. But again, there are people that love them.

I will say that there are no florals like the Lakelands on the Red Bar. The Red Bar is actually supposed The be the less aromatic of the two but I find it to very aromatic still. The green is a huge failure in an attempt to be Condor.... it's not even remotely close.
    Last edited by Hawky454; 06-21-2017 at 02:53.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I found it to be a very poor excuse of a blend, especially disappointing after all the hype & hullabaloo. I only managed half a bowl of the red. Gave it & the green to the pipe club.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

9 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I've had a tin of the Red and Green sitting in my draw for a while, which were gifted to me. I have been reluctant to try them, as, having smoked the original, I was wary of the new iteration, especially as it is not a true plug, but simply a pressed ribbon cut.

Last monday, craving something robust I decided to crack open the War Horse Bar (red) and settled in for what I hoped, and expected, to be a good enjoyable smoke - especially given all the hype over the last year or so and the reviews I've read. I went in with an open mind, deciding beforehand that I would assess it on its own merits, and having nothing to do with the original other than in name only. I even put aside my misgivings about 'ressurrecting' fabled blends, by simply buying a name, etc. Though, I can appreciate the enthusiasm and dedication behind this project, and, to a degree, even applaud it.

To say I was completely disappointed and totally undewhelmed would be a gross understatement. While it burned nicely and stayed lit I found it hard to continue to smoke - I actually ended up dumping the final quarter of the bowl. I have only once in my life thrown away a pouch of tobacco because I found it to be unsmokable, and that was an old packet of Maltan Ready Rubbed. I am reluctant to say I will do the same with this, and am prepared to give it another shot - but, I found this to be completely flavourless with regard to any kind of tobacco taste that I have previously experienced - I got an occassional bit of pepperiness, but that was all. For the most part I got strong ash flavour and hot, hot, hot taste, intermingled with that taste that sometimes comes forward when smoking an ancient tobacco that is well past its prime, has had to be rehydrated, and is generally best thought of as 'Mummy Dust'.

I'll admit that the tin note was appealing to a degree, but that is where it all ended. I checked the tin note again this morning, and after being open for a couple of days even this has diminished and is lacklustre.

I still have a bar of the final iteration from the 70's and I'll smoke that soon, just to remind me of what War Horse was. I won't be buying any of the new stuff, which I feel strangely disappointed by, as I had hoped that this new version would at least provide a good solid, substantial, flavoursome smoke in the vein of what I consider old-school Irish/British tobacco.

Nevermind, there are still plenty of great blends out there that can scratch that itch for me.

Final word? Ron, you put it better than I ever could!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast