Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first serious restoration

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

11 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My first serious restoration

This is my first serious restoring apart from cleaning and polishing. I was a bit nervous about sanding too much and ending up with a cigar holder but I think it all went well considering it was my first attempt.

The pipe is a Pipe Dan made by Ib Loran in the latter half of the sixties and it was in a horrible state when I got it.
    It is not anymore and I'll try to post a picture of it.

Loran 01.jpg
    Loran 02.jpg
    Last edited by Dunstan Hillwell; 06-30-2017 at 16:17.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice job on that rim!!
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Dave

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Jesper, it looks pretty good considering what you had to start with. Do you have any micromesh pads, or even 0000 steel wool? You should be able to smoothen and polish out the scratches I'm seeing in your picture. Looks like the iconic Ib Loran "scoop" shape, I'd love to see a picture of the entire pipe. Pipes from that period from PipeDan often have a date code.

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks for the kind words. That really gives me the courage to continue.

I do have a set of Micromesh pads which I use for the stems, but the steel wool I have, is the kind with built-in soap and I don't dare use it even dry.
    I used 400 grit sand paper for the rim, but maybe it's not fine enough for the dings and scratches, so I'll go for the micromesh pads.

The pipe is so worn that all the nomenclature has gone except the codes on the right side of the shank. They say 265 F and 0217. I was told two different explanations, one said that 265 was the date code i.e. February of 1965 and the other one said that it was the price code i.e. 265 DDK, which was a hefty price back in the sixties. I have no explanation of the 0217.

Here are two photos; do you think that it looks like the original stem? That is, with the broken line on the underside.

Loran 04.jpg

Loran 06.jpg
    Last edited by Dunstan Hillwell; 06-30-2017 at 18:49.

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Original stem...very hard to tell without the pipe in hand. The curve from the heel of the bowl through the stem to the button, and the taper of the stem in profile makes me think it is not the original stem. The shape though is exactly what I was expecting to see, it's one of the shapes Ib Loran is best known for.

Try the micromesh, start around 3600 and work your way up in the grades, trying of course to polish with the grain. I think you will be surprised, with some patient polishing by hand, how good you will be able to get the pipe to look.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Excellent job on the pipe so far, Jesper!
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That is way deeper restoration work than I would trust myself with. Good for you for both the courage to try it and the skill to succeed. Which you did. Very nice indeed.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Jesper Nielsen
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thank you, Russ and Billy, more encouraging words.

Dave, you confirmed my suspicions and the more I look at it, the more annoyed I get. I can have a better fitting stem made by a pipemaker I know, but is it worth it, though he doesn't charge excorbitant prices for his work..?
    I'll give the bowl the micromesh treatment and a good hand buffing; as I do not have any machinery, elbow grease has to be applied.
    In tabaco veritas et fumo ergo sum
    (Masperius the Elder)

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Nice job Jesper. Slow and easy when I do any restore work.If you can get a new stem made for a reasonable price go for it I would.

Real Name
    Anthony
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Congrats! It definitely looks better than it did with the scorching. Dave's right that Micro-Mesh will do a good job of polishing that bowl by hand, but you'll need to start with something more abrasive than 3600 MM (1350-grit U.S.) if you want to completely remove the work scratches from around the rim. Start one "grit step" up from whatever grit you used to do the work and continue in increments until it's well polished.
    COOK'S FINE PIPE WORKS
    QUALITY SMOKING PIPE REPAIR, RESTORATION & BEAUTIFICATION

www: cooksfinepipeworks.com | fb: cooksfinepipeworks | tw: CooksFPW | ig: cooksfinepipeworks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast