Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Questions For Condor Smokers

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Some Questions For Condor Smokers

What size bowl do you find best?
    I am currently smoking condor plug in a pretty standard diamension chambered bulldog 3/4" x 1 1/2",what do you find works best? and for plug smokers how long do you dry it for/can you over dry it and lose the aroma?
    I have 2 more plugs left but can get ready rubbed & flakes easier.
    Is there much difference are plugs worth the extra trouble to obtain.
    calling Hawky
    Last edited by paulfg; 07-22-2017 at 13:03.

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Given the choice between Flake or Ready Rubbed I would go for the former although I can quite happily smoke the latter. It may all be in my mind but I find the flake more intensely flavoured plus it burns longer. Yet to try the plug so don't know how it compares. As for the pipe...always been a Falcon/Dublin bowl man so my experience is limited in that department.

Pipe smoker since
    February 2016

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I always use this straight stemmed Falcon with what is a Dover bowl if I'm correct.

I've not tried the Long Cut I have yet but smoke the Ready Rubbed without any drying time - Perfect! 👌

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Livin' the pipe dream....

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

currently smoking a bowl dried for 1/2 hour in a GBD new standard rhodesian with a replacement stem.
    Didnt want to ghost my better GBD rhodie.
    I will try drying for 1 to 2 hours next time.I slice very thin shavings with my plug cutter and the rub it out to dry
    P1180533-700x700.jpgIMG_0658.JPG
    Last edited by paulfg; 07-22-2017 at 15:05.

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Some Questions For Condor Smokers

Hey Paul, now this is my kind of thread!

I like to smoke my Condor in a billiard no matter if it's the RR, Long Cut or the Plug I find that a tall narrow bowl helps concentrate the flavors.

Now this is where things get weird. I like smoking my tobacco dry (almost crispy) with almost every blend EXCEPT Condor. When I first started smoking Condor I would dry it for about 15 minutes but lately I've found that it smokes just fine (for me) freshly cut or right out of the pouch.
    I like to cut it up into thin flakes and I rub it out as much as possible.
    I say just stick with it and you will see what works best for you. I've found that each blend has its own learning curves before you can really get the most out of them, you must learn the ins and out of the blend.

Nice Plug cutter!

Don't give up! Long live Condor!
    Last edited by Hawky454; 07-22-2017 at 16:00.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hawky
    giving up is the last thing I will do.
    The reason for my questions is that I found some plug i had cut up and forgotten about in a tin that was very dry and in bigger lumps and it was a pig to keep alight and had very little flavour.
    I was thinking it needs to be dried a bit but not too much

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    Hawky
    giving up is the last thing I will do.
    The reason for my questions is that I found some plug i had cut up and forgotten about in a tin that was very dry and in bigger lumps and it was a pig to keep alight and had very little flavour.
    I was thinking it needs to be dried a bit but not too much
    Good deal, I'm glad to hear you won't be giving up. I would say to not dry it for anymore that 15 minutes at a time. That should be plenty of time to give you a good burn and not lose too much flavor.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Oh and I never answered your question. In my opinion, yes, the Plug is worth the extra effort. It is the best or best in my opinion and I don't even really consider it to be much trouble, it's just a part of the process. I've also taken to cutting up an entire Plug at once so I don't have to mess with it every time I want a smoke.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

@ hawky
    when I said trouble I was referring to obtaining it rather than prepping it.I smoke (perhaps I should say keep relighting) G&H Dark Plug Rum and Scented quite a bit so not worried about the prep work
    I can get RR and flake from England when friends come to Greece in the summer but Plug as you know is only from Ireland by post assuming they will still send it here so more difficult to obtain

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

When I do purchase some Condor, a medium size bowl works very well for me!
    As for the plugs, the equivalent works as well, considering the average Lady Nicotine. A Group 5 would be too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast