Thread: Falcon Hygiene Is Easy?

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Falcon Hygiene Is Easy?

With a briar or a meerschaum when I'm done smoking I simply loosen and dump out the ash, run a single cleaner through it and I'm done. But with a Falcon I have to tend to the ash but then unscrew the bowl and clear the hole at the bottom of dottle plus wipe off the moisture there, wipe out the humidome, run a cleaner up the tube, and set the bowl out to dry. That means I've used at least two pipe cleaners plus an alcohol swab, and likely gotten tobacco juice on my pants, basically making quite a mess. Leaving the bowl on while dumping the ash causes it's own set of problems of course, with juices from the dome getting poured back up into the bowl.

I really do love how they smoke and agree with all the fans here about that. But as far as convenience goes I must be doing something wrong as these puppies seem to be a lot of trouble.

Please set me straight. I want to love them but I'm having a hard time doing so lately. What's your secret?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hi Billy. As you know I'm an unabashed and biased fan of the falcon. I smoke mine probably 5 or 6 times/day. When I finish a pipe I simply dump the ash and when it's cooled down I unscrew the bowl from the stem and with a paper towel I wipe out the inside of the bowl and also the bottom of the bowl and also the humidome. After smoking and using the pipe like this for 2 days I give the stem a proper clean with alcohol soaked bristle pipe cleaners, it usually needs 2 of them and then finish with a cotton pipe cleaner. The bowl also gets wiped out with the used bristle pipe cleaners. With some alcohol soaked paper towel I wipe the outside of the stem and the bottom of the bowl.
    After the alcohol has dried from the stem I screw on a fresh bowl and I'm good to go for another couple of days.
    I hope that this was of some help.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It helped indeed. A dump and a quick wipe (that did NOT sound right) sounds much easier than bothering with multiple pipe cleaners every bowl. Thanks!

Billy
    --------

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Well I'm the last one to be giving advice on cleaning a Falcon as I rarely do much maintenance on mine.
    I do the same as Shaun when it comes to cleaning the reservoir. A quick flick gets rid of most of the moisture then a wipe with a piece of tissue finishes the job just fine...I'll even use a bunch of dry grass if I'm out in the countryside. I also give the bottom of the unscrewed bowl a wipe at the same time. I only use a pipe cleaner about once a week as not only are they hard to come by here (I had to use bird feathers for a while) they're also quite expensive.
    I find much depends on the blend of tobacco you're smoking. Certain blends especially aromatics tend to leave more muck and moisture whereas twists and flakes with no added flavourings leave little of either. Compared to my Peterson system the Falcon is a piece of cake to clean.

Well you are certainly right about that. My Peterson system is a bear to clean!

Billy
    --------

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I wipe out the humidrome on mine every couple of smoke maybe. I will run a pipe cleaner down the bit/stem with about the same frequency.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
    Hi Billy. As you know I'm an unabashed and biased fan of the falcon. I smoke mine probably 5 or 6 times/day. When I finish a pipe I simply dump the ash and when it's cooled down I unscrew the bowl from the stem and with a paper towel I wipe out the inside of the bowl and also the bottom of the bowl and also the humidome. After smoking and using the pipe like this for 2 days I give the stem a proper clean with alcohol soaked bristle pipe cleaners, it usually needs 2 of them and then finish with a cotton pipe cleaner. The bowl also gets wiped out with the used bristle pipe cleaners. With some alcohol soaked paper towel I wipe the outside of the stem and the bottom of the bowl.
    After the alcohol has dried from the stem I screw on a fresh bowl and I'm good to go for another couple of days.
    I hope that this was of some help.
    That is pretty much my routine with my Falcon pipes. Love them and they are worth the little extra few seconds required for maintenance.
    Happy Puffing!

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Sorry I hadn't seen this thread up until now. I was actually thinking of starting a Falcon FAQ thread for just such questions and discussion.

I think one can get obsessive about cleaning one's Falcons. I am as guilty of that as anyone: I always remove the bowl to dump it, and clean any loose tobacco from the draft hole with the spoon end of my pipe nail. I do my best not to let the moisture from the trap touch the briar. I often run a cleaner through the stem and wipe out the trap with an alcohol swab, then bend a loop in the other end of the cleaner and swab the inside of the bowl. Occasionally, I run a cleaner or three soaked with alcohol through the tube.

The truth is, though, that Falcons are very durable and don't require this level of constant pampering to continue to smoke cleaner and drier than any briar pipe. Granted, aluminum doesn't absorb moisture, so you have to deal with it yourself, but they certainly don't need to be squeaky clean to function properly. During daily service, quickly popping the bowl off to dump the ash and shake the moisture out of the stem is more than sufficient between smokes. A dry ring in the trap can help keep the moisture under control, too, and make clean-up a little easier. I use some nippers and get around three of them out of one standard straight pipe cleaner.

These things are built like tanks, and can take whatever abuse and neglect you throw at them, making them ideal for taking along when you're away from home. And they're compact, too: I can easily fit a straight stem and three bowls into an old eyeglass case and have an endless rotation that slips into a coat pocket. Try that with briars or cobs.

As with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages to Falcons, and trade-offs in terms of convenience. I vary which pipes I carry with me day to day. Sometimes it's a briar, other times it's a Falcon, but if I'm going to be away from home base for some indeterminate amount of time, I'd rather have a pipe with me that I can keep on smoking and enjoy every time. IMO, the Falcon is the right tool for the job.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Thanks Herb. A more lucid answer to a rambling vague question I could not imagine. You make a lot of sense. I think I've been worrying about minutia way too much and enjoying those pipes way too seldom. A quick dump and a shake sounds like a great plan to me.

Billy
    --------

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

Hello,

During my stay in the UK only a handful of smokes were through pipes other than Falcons. Falcons are great when you have a place to sit to prepare the smoke, and a bin nearby where to dump the cleaners etc used after a smoke. I had both benches and bins along the river in Durham, and in Wharton Park near my Bed and breakfast.

After a smoke I would unscrew the bowl, run a cleaner through the stem, double it and wipe the metal bottom of the bowl with it. Then I would run a second cleaner through the stem, double it, wipe the underside of the briar bowl with it, wipe out the ashes, and lastly squeeze it through the hole in the bottom of the bowl. It's a quick process, but it takes two free hands to do it, and it gets a bit awkward if you try doing it while walking or standing around and juggling all equipment that is required in the only two hands that we are naturally born with.

I looked out for sufficiently big leaves fallen from the trees and laid on such a leaf the used cleaners and the bent piece of cleaner from the bottom of the metal bowl. Once cleaning the pipe was done, I wrapped the cleaners into the leaf and carried the stuff to the bin, keeping my fingers as clean as possible.

The upsides of a Falcon, for me, are clean-tasting and palatable smokes with otherwise strong tobaccos, and an all-day rotation of pipes kept in a small pencil case.

Best wishes
    Markus