Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Vintage Capstan Mild

  1. #1


    8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Vintage Capstan Mild




    As posted earlier in the "latest" thread, i recently scored an old tin of Capstan Mild and decided to pop it open today.

    Upon opening, it gave that fermented dark fruit aroma and the flakes were still moist, perfectly preserved after all those years.





    I cube cut a flake and loaded up a nice billiard.

    Initial char light gave that deep raisin/prune flavor resembling what the nose was like on opening. I let it rest momentarily as I went downstairs to fetch a Blue Moon ale which I thought would pair well with it.



    When returning to the pipe, I noticed the odd room-note which sorta smelled like popcorn, and indeed when I continued smoking it even sorta tasted like popcorn too! It is mild, but not exactly delicate. It has a buttery mouthfeel despite the smoke being somewhat thin. I could only detect ghostly traces of a topping which would sometimes show up as a near-grapefruit type of twang. At midbowl it exhibited a cigarette-type quality. There was no bite whatsoever. I'm usually not a fan of bright blonde Virginias, but my first bowlful of this was quite enjoyable, perhaps amplified by the novelty because I rarely smoke this type of stuff.

    A subtle crystalline cosmic dusting was allover, but difficult to capture an image of in its full glory...




    The high quality of the old "skinny tin" is easy to see as there are no faults and it held up brilliantly over all the years, and preserved the flakes in a great condition...



  2. #2
    PSU Member Scottishgaucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Provincia de Buenos Aires
    Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972
    Posts
    762


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Not a blend I've ever tried so thanks for coming back and letting us know how you got on. I wonder how it would compare to todays Capstan yellow?

    I like that shape of tin. I was able to get an old made in Belfast tin of Erinmore Flake a year or two back from an online site here which was similarly shaped. It still had a good seal on it which was reflected in the quality of the tobacco. They're a perfect fit to carry around in a pocket.

  3. #3


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Very cool, man! Love the pictures, thank you for sharing your experience with us! That's the good thing about those light VA flakes, once they age they develop some of the more deeper notes and depth that you typically get from darker VA's.

    I can't believe how well that tin has faired after all these years! It really makes me excited about all the VA's I have in my cellar! I can't wait to taste Cabbies Mixture with 20 years on it... guess I have no choice but to...

    Great thread!

  4. #4


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Not a blend I've ever tried so thanks for coming back and letting us know how you got on. I wonder how it would compare to todays Capstan yellow?

    I like that shape of tin. I was able to get an old made in Belfast tin of Erinmore Flake a year or two back from an online site here which was similarly shaped. It still had a good seal on it which was reflected in the quality of the tobacco. They're a perfect fit to carry around in a pocket.
    I bet that was some good tobacco! I agree with you, I love the barrow tins wish they still used em! It looks like those will be a thing of the past though as it looks like even Germain has abandoned them.

  5. #5


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Not a blend I've ever tried so thanks for coming back and letting us know how you got on. I wonder how it would compare to todays Capstan yellow?

    I like that shape of tin. I was able to get an old made in Belfast tin of Erinmore Flake a year or two back from an online site here which was similarly shaped. It still had a good seal on it which was reflected in the quality of the tobacco. They're a perfect fit to carry around in a pocket.
    I've never tried the MacBaren yellow so I can't offer any comparison as I'm usually not interested in this sort of stuff but I couldn't pass it up because it was only a few bucks more than what they're charging for the new stuff, I got a good deal.

    I was hoping it would be more intensely flavored but it's more like a straight Virginia, but being British-made and well aged makes it enjoyable unto itself for me.

    Yep, these smaller tins hold up well, and wow, old Erinmore! Now that is one intensely flavored baccy and one which in my experience stands up to the test of time.
    Last edited by misterlowercase; 07-27-2017 at 03:39.

  6. #6


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    Very cool, man! Love the pictures, thank you for sharing your experience with us! That's the good thing about those light VA flakes, once they age they develop some of the more deeper notes and depth that you typically get from darker VA's.

    I can't believe how well that tin has faired after all these years! It really makes me excited about all the VA's I have in my cellar! I can't wait to taste Cabbies Mixture with 20 years on it... guess I have no choice but to...

    Great thread!
    It was pretty good, but initial impression didn't blow my socks off, maybe a few more bowls will reel me in, hard to say, I forgot to mention that it also had a damp hay flavor thing going on throughout most of the smoke, but like you say there were deeper notes that likely wouldn't have been there fresh off the shelf.

  7. #7


    3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Vintage Capstan Mild

    Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    It was pretty good, but initial impression didn't blow my socks off, maybe a few more bowls will reel me in, hard to say, I forgot to mention that it also had a damp hay flavor thing going on throughout most of the smoke, but like you say there were deeper notes that likely wouldn't have been there fresh off the shelf.
    I think this one would be a good candidate to smoke in tandem. Something like Velvan Plug or LLD in one pipe and the Capstan in another. Maybe the contrast will really bring out the flavors? Could be a fun experiment.

    I for one am totally handicapped when it comes to tasting straight VA's such as this but once my palate has been properly prepped I can taste all of the subtleties. It can be very frustrating for me cause I know the flavors are there I just can't pick up on them until I've had something to contrast it with. I wish I could concoct some kind of Vicks vapor rub, something to breath in to sharpen the olfactory senses. I'm experimenting with oils at the moment cause unfortunately Vicks doesn't do the trick. : (
    Last edited by Hawky454; 07-27-2017 at 03:58.

  8. #8


    4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    I think this one would be a good candidate to smoke in tandem. Something like Velvan Plug or LLD in one pipe and the Capstan in another. Maybe the contrast will really bring out the flavors? Could be a fun experiment.

    I for one am totally handicapped when it comes to tasting straight VA's such as this but once my palate has been properly prepped I can taste all of the subtleties. It can be very frustrating for me cause I know the flavors are there I just can't pick up on them until I've had something to contrast it with. I wish I could concoct some kind of Vicks vapor rub, something to breath in to sharpen the olfactory senses. I'm experimenting with oils at the moment cause unfortunately Vicks doesn't do the trick. : (
    That's a great suggestion, I'm gonna try it and see if perhaps the flavor gets amplified as often is the case when tandem smoking in my experience.

    I'm not a huge fan of straight Virginias for the same reasons you listed, I think to get the most out of them they require a sort of glacial patience along with an intense focus concentrating on the subtle nuances, that's why I don't smoke them very often unless they are of the heavily stoved/pressed variety which makes the magic flow out effortlessly and the flavors swing danceland tonguetip.

    The perfect tandem pipe:



    https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/e...oduct_id=42082

    An old Stokkebye Stereo!
    One of the better designed double-bowled pipes, quite brilliant I think with the knob dial where you can smoke in three positions: left/right/both,
    pretty damn cool!

    A little more about it,
    in French but good pix...

    http://www.pipephil.eu/oddpipes/siam/stereo.html

  9. #9


    2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Vintage Capstan Mild

    Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    That's a great suggestion, I'm gonna try it and see if perhaps the flavor gets amplified as often is the case when tandem smoking in my experience.

    I'm not a huge fan of straight Virginias for the same reasons you listed, I think to get the most out of them they require a sort of glacial patience along with an intense focus concentrating on the subtle nuances, that's why I don't smoke them very often unless they are of the heavily stoved/pressed variety which makes the magic flow out effortlessly and the flavors swing danceland tonguetip.

    The perfect tandem pipe:



    https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/e...oduct_id=42082

    An old Stokkebye Stereo!
    One of the better designed double-bowled pipes, quite brilliant I think with the knob dial where you can smoke in three positions: left/right/both,
    pretty damn cool!

    A little more about it,
    in French but good pix...

    http://www.pipephil.eu/oddpipes/siam/stereo.html
    That is brilliant! I would love to have that one for when I walk my dog! I really wish this style of pipe would catch on! You can also smoke both bowls at the same time if the mood strikes! I had a design of something I would like in my head but it surely wasn't as cool as that one!
    Last edited by Hawky454; 07-27-2017 at 14:43.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator HCraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since
    1989
    Posts
    8,184


    1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

    Good looking smoke there, Troy! That is certainly among the best preserved vintage tins I've seen. Enjoy!
    Herb

    Proud member of the Walrus Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •