Thread: Barling Experts I Need You!!

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Barling Experts I Need You!!

OK so I bought myself a Barling Quaint for my birthday. It's awesome and I got it from an etailer we all know and trust. Check her out!!

But when I gave her the once-over I was puzzled. It sure looks to me like the stem is a replacement but it wasn't identified as one by the seller. They are being cool about it and want me to ship the pipe back to them so they can give it a long hard look and reduce my price if it proves to be a replacement. Here's a couple pics to illustrate:

The first (for comparison) is a Transition Quaint I've had for years. Note the characteristic Barling button.

The second is the pipe they sent me (also a Transition pipe). Totally without that button shape-- looks like a replacement to me, especially as the crossed Barling logo was "buffed off".

What's your take, oh gurus of all things Barling? Am I nuts? Could this indeed be an original stem? I don't for a moment suspect the seller of impropriety, just maybe this fell through the cracks somehow. But if the stem IS original I'm don't want to send it back-- I want to fire it up for a birthday bowl!! Help!!!
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Dave

I would say a replacement. Look also at the change in the taper from the shank to the button, how it "flattens" out at a different angle from the initial angle at the shank/stem join. For reference, unfortunately I don't have a picture of the button/slot. (btw I've since cleaned the oxidation seen in these pictures )
    Attached Images Attached Images

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thanks Dave. It just didn't look right to me and I'm happy for your corroboration. I'm sending that sucker back and let's see how much they will discount it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Billy
    --------

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I can't advise but it's a bonny looking pipe.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

What happens now ??
    The best teachers tell you where to look but not what to see.

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    What happens now ??
    +1

What are you gonna get instead?

Sorry that the Quaint you had picked didn't work out, but hopefully you can get something just as nice and special!

Or,
    perhaps the discount will be good and you'll keep the Quaint after all?
    Last edited by misterlowercase; 08-03-2017 at 19:28.

Yeah there is something about that particular pipe that I really really like. I just don't like paying for an entirely original pipe and not getting one. That stem is plenty comfortable enough and I'm sure it will smoke beautifully. So if they can discount it enough to have it make sense it will be mine again!

Billy
    --------

Real Name
    Dave

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyPM View Post
    Yeah there is something about that particular pipe that I really really like. I just don't like paying for an entirely original pipe and not getting one. That stem is plenty comfortable enough and I'm sure it will smoke beautifully. So if they can discount it enough to have it make sense it will be mine again!

I like the eight sided bowl, so if they come back to you at a good price...

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmtk View Post
    I like the eight sided bowl, so if they come back to you at a good price...
    Correct!
    Billy
    --------

Real Name
    Jesse Silver
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Going by the images posted, which I assume are the pipe in question (images on post and comments made don't line up) maybe a replacement, maybe not. The stem profile transition is a bit flat, but at that angle these stems often don't show correctly. Button looks correct, but I'd be more interested in seeing the slot, as that's often where replacements fail. It's a nice looking quaint for a Corporate Era piece. Being a Corporate Era piece also means that the stem work can become more uneven in result. Under Imperial, production output went way up, a lot of more experienced staff was given the sack, and relatively inexperienced hand were put to mounting and finishing.