Thread: GH & Co. North Star

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

GH & Co. North Star

This tobacco hasn't been reviewed on TR the last time that I looked and have not seen any mention of it here. According to the description, it's a shag-cut blend of VA and burley. Has anyone tried it?
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

GH & Co. North Star

I have. It's good stuff! It has similar flavors to Dark Bird's Eye but as you can imagine, it's much lighter. It has good character and decent nicotine. I don't pick up on any Lakeland perfumes but a small amount could very well be there, I'm just immune to a light dose of the stuff these days. I would definitely recommend trying a couple of ounces.

There are a few reviews of it on TR:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/...dal-north-star
    Last edited by Hawky454; 08-08-2017 at 13:22.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

Thanks, Hawky! In my search I left out "Kendal" and just searched for "North Star", so that's why it didn't turn up. I think that I will get a couple of ounces in order to compare it to Three Friars.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Thanks, Hawky! In my search I left out "Kendal" and just searched for "North Star", so that's why it didn't turn up. I think that I will get a couple of ounces in order to compare it to Three Friars.
    I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I've read somewhere (maybe TR) that it was a "bargain blend" but I t think England's bargain blends are much higher quality than the US bargain blends.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

First time I've ever heard of the stuff.
    The best teachers tell you where to look but not what to see.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Jason
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I think it became available in N. America only recently. Going purely on written descriptions, it seems too similar to a lot of other GH&Co. blends to hold any interest for me. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    New one on me too! I think the schnozz has surmised correctly. A change of name so as to intrigue the yanks.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    New one on me too! I think the schnozz has surmised correctly. A change of name so as to intrigue the yanks.
    So I'm intrigued! Maybe this is a rehash of another blend under a different name, but I'm always willing to try out a VaBur and have smoked a few in the past. I have steered away from GH & Co. offerings because of my dislike of the Lakeland essence in even the smallest amount. The reviews don't mention it, however, and I'll take the bait on a couple of ounces. :cheesy
    Russ