Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about English blends...

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Question about English blends...

As most (read all) of my pipe smoking experience has been with aromatics (either Cavendish or a Cavendish that has had toppings added) I have very little experience with anything else. The other day I was at the pipe store and was looking at their bulk and tin selection.

My question is, why do many of the "English" blends or types smell like an old leather bound book? They have a VERY distinctive aroma pre-smoked compared to the Aromatics that I have used.

Do they smell the same way (room note) when they are smoked? It isn't that it is an off-putting aroma just very very different to what I have smoked.

I ask as when I was stationed in Spain years ago, they had these cigarettes they smoked (Not sure of the brand) that smelled like burning cow hair. Those reminded me of growing up on the ranch and working cattle. The smell was almost like the smell from branding cattle.

I would like to try some of the English blends, but don't want to just jump in and not really know what I am smoking. I'd hate to, through beginner's luck, pick the strongest blend and then be put off of trying others.

Any recommendations of a mild English blend to try?

Thanks all for any help.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

Found Pipedia...reading about the differing blends and types...interesting read so far.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My question is, why do many of the "English" blends or types smell like an old leather bound book?
    The Latakia and other Oriental tobaccos. A light English, I'll let others chime in...a benchmark English, Dunhill MM 965 maybe...? The different tobacco tastes take getting used to, but IMHO, the persistence is worth it.

For some "crossover" blends, look into McClelland's Frog Morton blends...

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/brand/37/mcclelland

Real Name
    Dave

For some good reading about tobacco, check out Arno's blog Dutch Pipe Smoker,

https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.co...latakia-lover/

https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.co...ulence-part-1/

https://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.co...ulence-part-2/

These are older posts, but it's worth searching around in the archives.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Dave I would agree with your statement about 965. Not all English mixes have Latakia and if they don't they usually contain several different Oriental Va's that are well aged can have a 'bitter' taste but in a nice way. They may well be scented or topped as well. The room note will not match the tin scent but that doesn't mean there aren't any unpleasant surprises from these blends. For example my wife hates all tobacco but I don't go near her if I'm smoking Latakia.

Read up on the Gawith, Gawith & Hoggarth, for probably the most famous English blends. But Sutliff and McClelland (5110) have several bulks to offer you.
    One day you will just be a memory for some people, do your best to make it a good one.

Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You don't need strong - it 's a stupid fashion to think if something is good, then more is better! - I'd recommend any Rattrays's blends, but, most of all, try Dunhill My Mixture #965 - as Dave says, a benchmark of the genre.
    Last edited by jimbo44; 08-10-2017 at 18:43.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

When I was smoking English type tobaccos, two of my favorites were MM 965 and Peter Stokkebye's Proper English. Both are available in bulk, too. Here's a link to a description of Proper English:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-to...id/11744/bulk/
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

All the above posts give stellar advice, but for a mild English I must give a shout out to the following:
    Presbytarian mixture/ Skiff mixture/ ashtons consummate gentleman & exmoor mixture. All on the mild side but all top notch!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Ed
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    All the above posts give stellar advice, but for a mild English I must give a shout out to the following:
    Presbytarian mixture/ Skiff mixture/ ashtons consummate gentleman & exmoor mixture. All on the mild side but all top notch!
    Sorry, but did you mean Presbyterian?
    je ne suis pas un fumeur de pipe.

Seattle Pipe Club's Seattle Evening is a nice mild English blend and a good introduction to the style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast