Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about English blends...

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    As most (read all) of my pipe smoking experience has been with aromatics (either Cavendish or a Cavendish that has had toppings added) I have very little experience with anything else. The other day I was at the pipe store and was looking at their bulk and tin selection.

My question is, why do many of the "English" blends or types smell like an old leather bound book? They have a VERY distinctive aroma pre-smoked compared to the Aromatics that I have used.

Do they smell the same way (room note) when they are smoked? It isn't that it is an off-putting aroma just very very different to what I have smoked.

I ask as when I was stationed in Spain years ago, they had these cigarettes they smoked (Not sure of the brand) that smelled like burning cow hair. Those reminded me of growing up on the ranch and working cattle. The smell was almost like the smell from branding cattle.

I would like to try some of the English blends, but don't want to just jump in and not really know what I am smoking. I'd hate to, through beginner's luck, pick the strongest blend and then be put off of trying others.

Any recommendations of a mild English blend to try?

Thanks all for any help.
    JM Boswell's has some good English blends that are house blends and are really good.

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Dunhill standard mixture isn't too strong.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Dunhill's BB1938, a remake of Baby's Bottom, is just lovely. Virginia and Latakia sans orientals it has a sweet sunniness that I find charming. A very easy smoke.
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeaward View Post
    Sorry, but did you mean Presbyterian?
    I did indeed Mr. Zeaward sir! Lol. I should know how to spell it by know, I've been smoking it long enough. No excuses, I must try harder!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thank you all for the help...Next time I'm at the store I will look for some of the blends mentioned. Also, as a few are available online, I might order a small amount and try it to find one I like.
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    You don't need strong - it 's a stupid fashion to think if something is good, then more is better! - I'd recommend any Rattrays's blends, but, most of all, try Dunhill My Mixture #965 - as Dave says, a benchmark of the genre.
    That's what I was talking about...something on the Mild side of English blends...Because knowing my luck I would get something that only a masochist would enjoy smoking and be turned off of the English blends forever. Better to slowly work your (my) way into it rather than a headfirst plunge off the Dover cliffs at low tide!
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12