Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice needed re flakes & plugs

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Advice needed re flakes & plugs

I am finding that whenever I smoke a flake or plug I am needing to relight many times until the 1/2 bowl is smoked and then it stays alight until the bottom of the bowl.
    I have tried drying the tobacco until I think it is very dry but still the same thing happens.I have tried rubbing out and cube cutting it.
    Any ideas please

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    I am finding that whenever I smoke a flake or plug I am needing to relight many times until the 1/2 bowl is smoked and then it stays alight until the bottom of the bowl.
    I have tried drying the tobacco until I think it is very dry but still the same thing happens.I have tried rubbing out and cube cutting it.
    Any ideas please
    Happens to me as well. As I prefer stronger blends I tend to be a sipper rather than a heavy puffer so I expect to have to relight more often.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    Any ideas please
    Might be the pipes you're smoking Paul. I notice most of your pipes are rather large with big bowls. I mostly smoke flakes & plugs myself. Zulus, billiards, lovats & my cuttys are all group 2-3 in size & behave wonderfully. Might be worth you experimenting.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

For flakes, it depends on how they're prepared and packed. I suggest pulling each flake lengthwise into strands and pack them a little on the looser side, especially near the top of the bowl so that it will take a full light.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Might be the pipes you're smoking Paul. I notice most of your pipes are rather large with big bowls. I mostly smoke flakes & plugs myself. Zulus, billiards, lovats & my cuttys are all group 2-3 in size & behave wonderfully. Might be worth you experimenting.
    Simon I tend to be struggling most with G&H Dark Plug both scented and rum which I smoke in my Barlings billiards ,they are small diameter chamber 3/4" at the most,but also with other blends to some extent.
    I agree my most recent purchases have been bigger diameter but most of my pipes are about 3/4" x 1 1/2" chamberl size
    thanks for the input though I will try different diameters and see
    s-l1600 (1).jpg_57 10_zpscxwzhoxd.jpg
    Last edited by paulfg; 08-15-2017 at 18:40.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    For flakes, it depends on how they're prepared and packed. I suggest pulling each flake lengthwise into strands and pack them a little on the looser side, especially near the top of the bowl so that it will take a full light.
    Thanks Russ I will try that,I have been rubbing out flakes and plugs mainly and then dropping it into the bowl and very gently tamping before lighting and just flattening the tobacco after the false light.

Real Name
    Dave

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

...pack them a little on the looser side, especially near the top of the bowl so that it will take a full light.
    I would agree with this. What I've noticed, is how much the tobacco expands when it is lit. You have to remember, the tobaccos are compressed quite a bit in both flakes and plugs when they are made. I usually "cube cut", but the other night I was just lazy and did the old fold, twist, and stuff method. I deliberately used less tobacco, about half a regular flake in a group 4 or so size pipe, and as Russ said, put some of the loose bits on top.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Not sure what else you're smoking, Paul, but Dark Flake/Plug is notoriously hard to keep lit. I smoke a lot of flakes and plugs, but Dark Flake is one I always struggle with. For me, a .75" diameter bowl is ideal for keeping flakes and plugs burning nicely -- in other words, I don't think the pipes are the problem.

Do you have the same issues with Condor? I usually cube cut Condor (and 3Ps, Warrior, etc) and don't usually have problems keeping it lit. But again, Dark Flake/Plug is a different animal for me.

Dave makes a good point about expansion -- I sometimes pack a small bowl too tightly and end up with less than spectacular results.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

@ pitchfork
    I have smoked Condor Plug with no problem from the first light ,with only a few relights
    I also have Revor Plug and Bosun Cut Plug and the Revor behaves better than the Bosun which is better than the Dark plugs with regards to keeping lit in the first 1/2 bowl.
    I was just interested in why the first 1/2 bowl needs so many relights but then it will smoke with maybe 1 more until the bottom

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast