Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Navy Prick

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The price lists are interesting, yet difficult for me to gauge.

Some miscellaneous listings from 1962:

Dunhill My Mixture 14/9 2oz.

Dunhill Grp. 4 Bruyere 157/6

Parker Giant 75/-

Barling Straight Grain (size 2) 126/- ~ (size 6) 294/-

Sasieni Specially Selected 75/- to 100/-

BBB Best Make 57/6

Loewe Straight Grain 125/-

Hardcastle Supergrain 63/-

GBD Pedigree 84/-

Orlik Old Bond Street 84/-

Falcon 25/-

John Pollock cutty clay, white 5d

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I have gotten the "jockey" piece in tins of plugs before, and recently got the opposite in a tin of Jack Knife Plug. The plug was all perfectly square, and then they chopped off a whole good sized piece of the corner in order to bring it down to correct weight. I believe once or twice I also got a tiny jockey piece from ordering an ounce or two of twist. Interesting and I'd never known that term. Thanks for the info.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by p120d16y View Post
    I have gotten the "jockey" piece in tins of plugs before, and recently got the opposite in a tin of Jack Knife Plug. The plug was all perfectly square, and then they chopped off a whole good sized piece of the corner in order to bring it down to correct weight. I believe once or twice I also got a tiny jockey piece from ordering an ounce or two of twist. Interesting and I'd never known that term. Thanks for the info.
    Cool yeah,
    that reminds me that I've also got the "jockey" with some JKP --- a neat feature of handpacking & weighing and harkening back to the Olde Worlde...

...I think most the Danish stuff is highly automated nowadays and a robot wouldn't know a jockey from a jimmypipe...

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...y-Shrewd-Robot

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    Cool yeah,
    that reminds me that I've also got the "jockey" with some JKP --- a neat feature of handpacking & weighing and harkening back to the Olde Worlde...

...I think most the Danish stuff is highly automated nowadays and a robot wouldn't know a jockey from a jimmypipe...

http://pipesmokerunlimited.com/showt...y-Shrewd-Robot
    I've been lost in carotte making on fairtrade and elsewhere, and now I am just ITCHING to make one! It's apparently easier than I first thought, at least. The guy that made his out of Bolivian Criollo Black says that it does basically make Perique out of any leaf you choose. If Criollo tastes like Perique after 3-6 months bound in a "Sailor's Prick" I'm pretty much ready to believe as long as you have enough pressure on it, you can use just about any leaf type. I will aim towards using higher sugar content and one of plain burley or maybe Connecticut. That guy "SqueezyJohn" in the UK said even though he's not a pipe smoker anymore, the smoke of it reminded him of Capstan Blue Flake! This is definitely worth trying as well for a huge space saver. If you've got 10-20 pounds of leaf lying around taking up a barn worth of space, turn it into just a handful of these logs and they're great for longterm storage. All around very interested in trying this now. I'm going to buy a few pounds of whole leaf varietals sometime after the Columbus show next Friday, or possibly at the show and go about finding some canvas and the right size rope.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by p120d16y View Post
    I've been lost in carotte making on fairtrade and elsewhere, and now I am just ITCHING to make one! It's apparently easier than I first thought, at least. The guy that made his out of Bolivian Criollo Black says that it does basically make Perique out of any leaf you choose. If Criollo tastes like Perique after 3-6 months bound in a "Sailor's Prick" I'm pretty much ready to believe as long as you have enough pressure on it, you can use just about any leaf type. I will aim towards using higher sugar content and one of plain burley or maybe Connecticut. That guy "SqueezyJohn" in the UK said even though he's not a pipe smoker anymore, the smoke of it reminded him of Capstan Blue Flake! This is definitely worth trying as well for a huge space saver. If you've got 10-20 pounds of leaf lying around taking up a barn worth of space, turn it into just a handful of these logs and they're great for longterm storage. All around very interested in trying this now. I'm going to buy a few pounds of whole leaf varietals sometime after the Columbus show next Friday, or possibly at the show and go about finding some canvas and the right size rope.
    That's friggin' awesome Zach!

Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    Any guesses on your end as to the Plover's age?
    Totally unknown to me, I'm afraid.

A Dunhill price list from about 1964/5 ish - updated by me a year or so later:

Dunhill prices '60's.jpg
    Last edited by jimbo44; 08-21-2017 at 16:48.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    Totally unknown to me, I'm afraid.

A Dunhill price list from about 1964/5 ish - updated by me a year or so later:

Dunhill prices '60's.jpg
    Thanks Jim.

Something quite interesting is that amazingly, I found the 1966 price guide Stateside and the previous owner had scribbled a bit of marginalia in it, like check marks, or dates he had written a company i.e.; Wills - wrote 6-13-67,
    and also in a few places he did a conversion from LSD to USD.
    Here's a few of those he wrote:

GBD Pedigree 105/- = $14.70
    GBD New Era 84/- = $11.76
    GBD New Standard 47/6 = $6.58
    Peterson De Luxe 89/6 = $12.60
    Barling Guinea Grain size 4, 90/- = $12.60 ~ size 5, 97/6 = $13.75
    Barling Standard or sandblast size 4, 65/- = $9.10

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234