Thread: NASPC Columbus, OH Show August 25th-26th 2017

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

NASPC Columbus, OH Show August 25th-26th 2017

Well this is way late since we're 6 hours until the start of this show, but is anyone at all going to attend? We have several members in Ohio but you guys may well be just as close as I am in Indiana to the Columbus area.

A lot of people are going to be there, a lot of makers, companies, and individuals.

I know Steve Fallon is on his way there to buy up all the aged tobaccos, and my aim is to get over there first in a few hours and buy them all! Muahahahaha.

Seriously though, I'm going with the intent to only buy up all the aged tobacco and tobacco deals and try not to buy any pipes.
    I hope to see some faces there and know quite a few other people going, but nobody from here going that I know about.

(I'm just ribbing Steve, I've been subscribed to his email list and would gladly purchase tobaccos from him for the right price. )

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I wanted to attend because it's less than a couple of hours drive away, but the new laptop sucked away all of any possible extra money. And, as sports fans say, "There's always next year."
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Indeed, the end of August has found me in a tight spot, money-wise, and it wound up being my Saturday in the rotation at work, anyway.

Let us know how the show was, Zach!
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable show, and unfortunately I did not take any pictures for you guys. I wasn't going to be the only guy there, and the youngest looking like a millenial with a cell phone out haphazardly snapping pictures instead of enjoying the experience. I literally didn't even pull my phone out and take a single picture.

That being said, I hung out with a lot of awesome people and met Jeremy Reeves (head blender of Cornell & Diehl), Dan Nemets (New guy taking over Missouri Meerschaum), Scottie Piersel, Basil Meadows, quite a few friends from various pipe forums and many other new people.
    When we winded down from the show and migrated to the smoking patio I was fortunate enough to spend the entire evening smoking with Jeremy Reeves, Basil Meadows, John Lawitzke, Serenity (a friend from PSF and TheBriarPatch), CappaDoc (from PSF) and we were drinking CappaDoc's Bulleit whiskey and passing around tobaccos. It's much smaller and much less commercialized than Chicagoland's show which also made for a very nice paced and inviting comfortable atmosphere overall.
    There weren't tons of aged tins that I went looking for and the well aged tin that were at least over 10 years old were up to astronomical prices. I ended up only getting one well aged tin of House of Windsor Hine's Mixture and it's only as old as 2004, but it was only $12 so I had to get it. All the Christmas Cheer seemingly no matter the year was $30-40 a tin minimum and that's including 2016 and 2017. Some vendors were even selling year or two old tins of current production blends like Cabbie's Mixture and Lakeland Dark for $30 a tin. Seriously. IMO, it's not aged tobacco and it's not worth anything extra if it doesn't at least have 5 years on it.
    Met Mark Ryan of Daughters & Ryan and talked with him for a while and ended up buying the most tobacco from him. The tobaccos I did end up buying I posted in the latest tobacco acquisitions thread. The experience was fantastic. Very fun time and the only problem I encountered is you really need to bring a good $1,000 cash or more if you want to buy any decent pipes and tobacco. I knew this ahead of time and didn't plan to buy pipes, but did buy a brand new Country Gent cob since I didn't have one.
    There were unfinished Savinellis for $10-15 but I passed because they were all very rough, poorly drilled or not even drilled at all and with rough unfinished stems as well. Saw some insane and amazing pipes.

The Kansas City pipe show is at the end of next month, and the International Slow Smoke contest 69th annual is up in Paul's Pipe Shop near Flint Michigan a month after that on October 21st. I plan to try to make Chicago next year but not only does Chicago cost to get in, I'm told you better bring at least a few thousand dollars in cash. Food being absolutely outrageously priced, pipes, travel, hotels, drinks and all.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Thanks for the report, Zach! I'm with you as far as aged tobacco goes - a year or two is nothing. I can buy a tin for retail, stick it in the drawer, and that amount of time passes before I remember I have it.

Back in 2003 when I went to Columbus, it had much the same friendly, small vibee, but of course you could smoke on the convention floor and in the hotel lobby at that time. New pipes could be expensive, though meeting the carvers was always a treat.

The really fun part for me was checking out the estate pipes - there were folks who literally brought them in paper grocery sacks, all jumbled together, spread them out haphazardly on the table, and offered your choice for maybe $20-$30. Most were in good shape, other than needing some cleaning. I think I bought four or five pipes at that price, including an unsmoked Calabash, as well as a rack and other odds and ends. Tobacco, too - online retailers were still in their infancy, so I stocked up on bags and tins of favorite blends, and bought several tins from Jay and Louise from Hermit, who used to let you sample from tubs at their table.

The community was friendly, though I didn't really know anyone at the time. I think ASP was the only thing around for meeting pipe smokers online, and I wasn't even familiar with that (plus, my internet was barely functional).

Good times, indeed.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

There was a really nice large group 4-5 no name London made bulldog with a perfect stem/tenon/stummel and he only wanted $30 for it, I really wanted to get it but still didn't even want to spend $30 on a pipe.
    I'm to the point where I have so many pipes when I buy a new one from now on it's probably going to be some nicer pipes and at a slower rate.