Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pigtail Bogie Twist Roll

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I've just been back through watching the videos and reading through the catalogues again. I have such a strong yearning to try so many of those twists and especially the rolls. The sheer amount of different twists goes to show really that America was just stuck in some sort of rut only smoking Prince Albert, or Edgeworth, or SWR, etc. and not having variety. Not knocking sticking with your favorite brand, but you know what I mean. Long before the reign of OTC baccy here the UK had more variety in just twists, plugs, and rolls alone, also proving the people wrong today that say we're spoiled for variety because of all these modern day artisan blenders. Apparently even in 1901, we already had hundreds of pipe tobacs. Very fascinating. I'd go there and get them if I had a time machine. I'd go there and experience that. What a totally different society, and yet so similar still to us today in other ways, like advertising.

PSU Member
    Real Name
    Paul

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

just wanted to add my thanks to that already mentioned for MLC's great post.I really love reading post like this

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm being serious here, these kinds of posts should be documented in a medium such as Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine. Troy, have you ever considered showing your work to Chuck Stanion? I think, if for the sake of the community only, this stuff needs to be officially published and you should get paid for it. I love P&T but honestly, I look forward to your posts more than any thing I've read in there. Someone with your kind passion and drive deserves to get paid for it.

Alright, I'm done with the arse kissin'.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by p120d16y View Post
    I absolutely, as much as I possibly could, love this thread and all this info, Troy. It really does confirm as well that men liked to smoke strong tobacco. Where did all this aromatic goop come from?!?!

Looks like we have a serious need for these twists to be faithfully recreated by someone with the ability to step into the market and make them again. Seeing this, we are severely lacking plugs, rolls, rods, twists, pigtails, and ropes today.

I hope that you do not mind, Troy, but I gave you all credit where credit is due and I wanted to link to this priceless information you've researched here and get a few twist and plug folks over at thebriarpatchforums to come over here and take a look at this. I linked to it so the information is available. This must have taken you a lot of time and research and so I believe it should be shared.

Regards,
    Zach
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    You have almost enough information to do a Doctoral Thesis on Twists! Extremely interesting stuff. Thank you for the hard work and massive amount of searching the Net for this info. I'll have to look through it again, when I can sit back with a pipe in hand and enjoy it!
    I've just been back through watching the videos and reading through the catalogues again. I have such a strong yearning to try so many of those twists and especially the rolls. The sheer amount of different twists goes to show really that America was just stuck in some sort of rut only smoking Prince Albert, or Edgeworth, or SWR, etc. and not having variety. Not knocking sticking with your favorite brand, but you know what I mean. Long before the reign of OTC baccy here the UK had more variety in just twists, plugs, and rolls alone, also proving the people wrong today that say we're spoiled for variety because of all these modern day artisan blenders. Apparently even in 1901, we already had hundreds of pipe tobacs. Very fascinating. I'd go there and get them if I had a time machine. I'd go there and experience that. What a totally different society, and yet so similar still to us today in other ways, like advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfg View Post
    just wanted to add my thanks to that already mentioned for MLC's great post.I really love reading post like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawky454 View Post
    I'm being serious here, these kinds of posts should be documented in a medium such as Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine. Troy, have you ever considered showing your work to Chuck Stanion? I think, if for the sake of the community only, this stuff needs to be officially published and you should get paid for it. I love P&T but honestly, I look forward to your posts more than any thing I've read in there. Someone with your kind passion and drive deserves to get paid for it.

Alright, I'm done with the arse kissin'.

Cheers gents!

Thanks for the kind words, I'm humbled, but really this post wasn't too time consuming as it was mostly just a bunch of images from the archive along with a few tidbits garnered from google --- I wish that I was disciplined enough to do a full-on academic style scholarly essay, but I lack the chops and plus if I were to try it seriously, it'd require travel to the UK and Ireland to spend much time in museums and library special collections in attempt to string together a factual and accurate account, sadly,my grant proposal for such a study was denied LOL - So, I press on doing it for fun in the true sense of the word amateur, that being from love, and the forum format is perfect for this sort of thing...

...I am working toward a xerox zine thing (a long time coming project that has been on my table for a while now) and I think I'm just at the cusp of making it happen, it'll start out as mainly being a venue for reprints of the old print stuff I have, and Punch adverts, and maybe some stuff similar to this thread, and hopefully it will grow and people will contribute because a chorus of diverse voices is always best imho, I am totally and fully inspired by Tom Dunn, both in spirit and in ethos, and I shall be guided by his light, of course it ain't gonna be as grand as TPSE, but it'll be a little bookish thing to hold in hand --- more news as it unfolds and I find the time to make it a reality.

Also wanted to add this viddy here for anyone who ain't seen it, from the inimitable Glynn Quelch whose presence and services I dearly miss.

He is clearly a true enthusiast and his infectious passion pours through and through,
    a treat to see and hear,
    it is.

Most interesting is how he notes the slight taste differences in regards to the size of the twist, due to the wrapper to filler ratio.

:
    Also this,
    more photographs of the S. Gawith factory courtesy of the Edinburgh Pipe Club -- I found it interesting that the cold press was manufactured in Edinburgh, most other of the tobacco machinery was made by the venerable old London firm of Robt. Legg, like the hot presses and especially the cutters.
    Neat stuff to see.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qdec5i5yf9bu6br/EKkIUmS38H

:

Also found this and I read the entire account as it is well written and quite amusing, as well as interesting as hell reading about the lifestyles of the period,
    excerpt has a funny bit about a roll heist from a Wills van...

"Harry and his pals carried on much the same as other youths and young men of those days and they used to visit Gloucester and Chepstow on drinking and wenching expeditions. One Saturday when Harry was about 17 years of age, he and his mates got drunk in Gloucester, probably at The Fleece. Whilst roaming around the city, they came across a W.D.& H.O.Wills van loaded with large rolls of their twist tobacco, much in favour with coal miners for chewing purposes. The van was unattended, so the gang helped themselves to a couple of rolls each, which they sold to anyone who would buy at about 10 yards length for a penny; 10 yards would probably weigh 12 ounces to a pound.

For this crazy proceeding they were hauled before the Gloucester magistrates and given seven days in the local Jail without the option, to think things over. After a few more escapades and some girl troubles, Harry thought it would be a good idea to leave the district whilst the going was good, so he decided to give South Wales the benefit of his presence.

After three or four years in different parts of this coalfield, drinking, wenching and fighting; he was as quarrelsome as his mother when he reached a certain stage of drunkenness, he thought that it would be a good plan to get as far away as possible, hence his appearance in Lancashire.

He must have decided to settle in Howe Bridge, as he had not been there long when he was married to a Welsh girl, who seven years before had come from North Wales with her parents and settled in Howe Bridge. Her name was Sophia, but more commonly called Sowf, she was about 19 years of age at the time of their wedding, which seems to have been of the 'shotgun' type. She was a fine looking young woman, who retained her good looks until she was well into her seventies. Sowf was employed on the surface at the Seven Feet Pit, which was quite near to the Day Eye, and her job was to pick out the dirt from the coal on a wide conveyor belt in the screen room.

The old Lancastrians used to have a saying, that if you crossed a Forest of Dean, or a Staffy, (Staffordshire man) with a North Welsh woman, you would be certain to produce a breed of hell-cats. "

https://leigh.life/index.php?page=wi...life:memathpit

:
    Last edited by misterlowercase; 09-02-2017 at 23:53.

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I love the way they say "plug" over there. Plouug.

That was an excellent video, but it made me sad all over again about what happened to Glynn.

I love the way they say "plug" over there. Plouug.

That was an excellent video, but it made me sad all over again about what happened to Glynn.
    Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs that the UK fully implemented the EU TPD2,
    what a damn shame.

After I heard how he pronounced Revor, I tried to do the same but it just ain't natural for me and I continue to pronounce it as "revver" whereas he says "reevore" or something like that.

Forgot to mention this earlier, dunno iffit actually was a spun roll tobacco being referred to here but I'd reckon it'd be likely as the form goes back to the earliest days of tobacco processing...

From the Samuel Pepys diary:

Wednesday 7 June 1665

"Then despairing of her coming home, I to bed. This day, much against my will, I did in Drury Lane see two or three houses marked with a red cross upon the doors, and “Lord have mercy upon us” writ there; which was a sad sight to me, being the first of the kind that, to my remembrance, I ever saw. It put me into an ill conception of myself and my smell, so that I was forced to buy some roll-tobacco to smell to and chaw, which took away the apprehension."

http://www.pepysdiary.com/diary/1665/06/07/

trivia-bit:
    Esoterica's And so to bed is named in honor of Pepys.

:

Also of interest,
    this description
    from
    Labour and Life of the People
    by Charles Booth

https://books.google.com/books?id=dy...gbs_navlinks_s

A lot to learn and enjoy. Thanks!

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thought I'd add this 1921 Robt. Sinclair advert here...

...I love this adcopy:
    GOLDEN TWIST - A household word with the North country working-man. They all smoke in the North and in nine cases out of ten it's Robert Sinclair's Golden Twist that's in their cutty.

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post

Cheers Crawford!

Dunno what time the modern images date to. I cribbed those pix from a German site that seems somewhat on the older side because many of the images are broken, so I thought I'd better save some of them for my archive before they all disappear.

It's a wonderful article there, and the images are great.

Here it is:
    http://www.pfeife-tabak.de/Artikel/R...th/gawith.html

Hello,

That site is home to a forum that I'm a member of. I haven't posted regularly there for ages, but did so maybe ten years ago, and I believe much of the other content is as old or older. I've just checked the forum, it's still alive and well, so there's hope the other content will also be around for a while yet.

Best wishes
    Markus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123