Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pigtail Bogie Twist Roll

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Lovely old film! I can spend hours watching those, going from one to another. Fascinating to see all the different type of carts they used & all those lovely old horses. Doing what they were bred for. Could anybody spot anyone without a hat? I couldn't, not one! Lol.
    Me too, I love watching them.

Here's a couple more...

I like the hooves sound effect in this one, ride by at 2:00 is so close you feel as if you could reach out and touch the topside passengers...

And yep,
    hats are on every head!
    Flatcaps, bowlers, and derbys seem to be the order of the day for gents.

Also found this,
    unsure of location, but it is quite the massive production of twist in process...

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Thanks for the mention but my contribution pales into insignificance compared to yours which I always enjoy seeing.

Any idea when the 'modern day' Gawith pictures were taken? I only ask as I see the workers aren't wearing surgical gloves. Through watching videos I have increasingly noticed them being worn by employees who handle tobacco due I imagine to health and safety at work practices being enforced.

Cheers Crawford!

Dunno what time the modern images date to. I cribbed those pix from a German site that seems somewhat on the older side because many of the images are broken, so I thought I'd better save some of them for my archive before they all disappear.

It's a wonderful article there, and the images are great.

Here it is:
    http://www.pfeife-tabak.de/Artikel/R...th/gawith.html

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I'm curious to know when the fashion or custom of men wearing hats in public faded away. Every one in that film is wearing hats. I imagine in those days no one went out without one.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I'm curious to know when the fashion or custom of men wearing hats in public faded away. Every one in that film is wearing hats. I imagine in those days no one went out without one.
    I think in my country bill, it was after the Second World War. I blame the RAF, otherwise known as 'the brylcream boys'. I think all the chaps preferred the look of a shiny head instead of an old cloth cap. Then the teddy boys came along & it's never been the same since! Lol.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Me being a big fan of Wild Billy Childish only endears me nearer to the chap aesthetic --- and dammit, gonna look for some back numbers of that mag because I've never seen an ish as it's pricey to get a hold of over here, gonna go look for some cheap seats right now!

I like the whole dandy chap thing, but I don't have the money for extensive fashion investments and my sad wardrobe has been the same for the last 10 years LOL
    Perhaps as autumn comes I'll get me some tweed 'n such from the junkstore and try to get with it.

http://thechapmagazine.co.uk/content/section_manifesto/

A rather nice tune here,
    get yourself a hat!...

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Gotta get a tweed jacket Troy! Birds love a bloke in tweed, fact! Looks great with either jeans or a pair of slacks. Don't wear trainers/sneakers though, or you'll look a fool! If you need any pointers regarding hats, many of us here can help you out. You've seen 'the' photo. Lol.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Gotta get a tweed jacket Troy! Birds love a bloke in tweed, fact! Looks great with either jeans or a pair of slacks. Don't wear trainers/sneakers though, or you'll look a fool! If you need any pointers regarding hats, many of us here can help you out. You've seen 'the' photo. Lol.
    Yes, I think I will for certain this season finally get with it and go full tweedy.

One of my favorites is a classic camel hair jacket, which I sometimes wear, but I am greatly lacking tweed and I'm in need!

I only wear plimsolls on the rare occasion that I go skateboarding which sadly ain't very often, usually I'm wearing Keen workboots --- may go full steam and get some spats, I've always liked the way they look but dunno iffit work in my case or if I'd feel like a pretentious bugnutter LOL
    hmmm...

These a Swedish military spats, I am very keen on vintage military surplus because it is very well made to high standard spec, and it is usually cheap if you buy it in the right place....

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

I absolutely, as much as I possibly could, love this thread and all this info, Troy. It really does confirm as well that men liked to smoke strong tobacco. Where did all this aromatic goop come from?!?!

Looks like we have a serious need for these twists to be faithfully recreated by someone with the ability to step into the market and make them again. Seeing this, we are severely lacking plugs, rolls, rods, twists, pigtails, and ropes today.

I hope that you do not mind, Troy, but I gave you all credit where credit is due and I wanted to link to this priceless information you've researched here and get a few twist and plug folks over at thebriarpatchforums to come over here and take a look at this. I linked to it so the information is available. This must have taken you a lot of time and research and so I believe it should be shared.

Regards,
    Zach

Flippin' amazing post MLC!

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

You have almost enough information to do a Doctoral Thesis on Twists! Extremely interesting stuff. Thank you for the hard work and massive amount of searching the Net for this info. I'll have to look through it again, when I can sit back with a pipe in hand and enjoy it!
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Pipe Smoking - The next Extreme Sport - Where else can you take something that can cost almost as much as a car, fill it with combustible material, and light it on fire...for enjoyment!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast