Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Homebrew

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Your Favorite Homebrew

Thought this might be a fun thread idea.

I used to think along more purist lines in that if I didn't enjoy a blend as the blender intended, then that was that and I would check it off in the "non-useful to me" box if I didn't happen to like it as it was --- but after discovering how versatile and adaptable SGLD was for absorbing and carrying different flavors, I've been in mad scientist mode and it has reinvigorated an enthusiasm for scouting all about in search of baccy that while I may not enjoy them unaltered unto themselves, I may happen to enjoy them when mixed with SGLD.

But my particular fave all started with Dark Star and a desire to get more of a nic kick as well as grasping for that trad Brit flavour profile, I decided to dump some SP snuff on it and by God was it a jolly concoction!

Since then I've added a bit of SGLD into the mix for added body.

When I'm in the mood I will also take a pinch proper like a snufftaker in each nostril and then smoke the homebrew,
    a snuff 'n puff!
    It is an intense experience.

Here's a pictorial of the process...

Dark Star

add SGLD
    (on the right, they're almost indistinguishable in pix)

grab the Toque

sprinkle SP Extra all over

tumble thoroughly

And that's it,
    easy as pie and very rewarding for me and my preferences.

Homebrewing is great fun, but I only dabble, some folks go full tilt into "advanced blending" and make up some really incredible stuff.

What's your favorite homebrew?

Last edited by misterlowercase; 09-04-2017 at 19:54.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

St. Bruno & old joe krantz!
    Only kidding, my current favourite is hoggarths black twist with their RDH.(you've got some of this coming)
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    St. Bruno & old joe krantz!
    Only kidding, my current favourite is hoggarths black twist with their RDH.(you've got some of this coming)
    Awesome!
    I may do up your recipe and see hows I like it.

I can't knock Old St. Joe as it prolly works well for RockBass, I know sadly all too well the lament of overdried Bruno having a several tins on 2000's era JBRussell stuff which the tins compromised and lost vacuum and became Sahara desert crunchy dry --- but somehow some flavor remained and I mixed it all inna jar with fresh moist SGLD and the magic did happen and I love the stuff and I am crying because my last tin is soon depleted and it'll be greatly missed, so yes, the Saint blesses us in many strange ways most mysterious!

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by misterlowercase View Post
    Awesome!
    I may do up your recipe and see hows I like it.

I can't knock Old St. Joe as it prolly works well for RockBass, I know sadly all too well the lament of overdried Bruno having a several tins on 2000's era JBRussell stuff which the tins compromised and lost vacuum and became Sahara desert crunchy dry --- but somehow some flavor remained and I mixed it all inna jar with fresh moist SGLD and the magic did happen and I love the stuff and I am crying because my last tin is soon depleted and it'll be greatly missed, so yes, the Saint blesses us in many strange ways most mysterious!

Our Thomas knows I was only having a laugh. (At least, I hope he does) I wouldn't dream of seriously knocking somebody's proffered brand or own mixture. If it works for you, end of story! Anything else is just banter. I'd love to find a mix with St. Bruno that I could enjoy as much as Bruno on its own. Alas, I've tried lots over the years & nothings stood out.
    With the black Irish twist & RDH mix Troy, I'd wait for my sample I sent you. It doesn't really work unless it's been in a jar for a month at the very least. The stuff I've sent you has been sat in a jar for 2-3 months, & is rather nice!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

I've made a few mixtures over the past several years but nothing was too special. I was mixing some GH & Co. Rum Twist, Sweet Maple Twist, and Brown Flake Licorice and that was a pretty tasty go-to pouch mixture I mixed up and filled the pouch with a few times. Haven't mixed any of it in about a year. It was just an odd changing variance in the three. Almost equal parts at times, other times like a 45/45/10 with the 10% being the Brown Flake Licorice which also served to really slow down the burn. A full pipe of that mixture burned very slowly.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Our Thomas knows I was only having a laugh. (At least, I hope he does) I wouldn't dream of seriously knocking somebody's proffered brand or own mixture. If it works for you, end of story! Anything else is just banter. I'd love to find a mix with St. Bruno that I could enjoy as much as Bruno on its own. Alas, I've tried lots over the years & nothings stood out.
    With the black Irish twist & RDH mix Troy, I'd wait for my sample I sent you. It doesn't really work unless it's been in a jar for a month at the very least. The stuff I've sent you has been sat in a jar for 2-3 months, & is rather nice!
    So true it is about the eccentricities of personal taste, whatever works, works.
    yes.

But the jesting is fun too or else we'd all be bored 'n like y'know?

Good banter, in my rankings, goes a long ways to make things more interesting and I always look forward to reading how you may put a fun twist on things...

And cool, I was thinking it was the RDH but excited that it was the mix which has already been a'stewing, excited and looking forward to a taste,
    my thanks to you!

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by p120d16y View Post
    I've made a few mixtures over the past several years but nothing was too special. I was mixing some GH & Co. Rum Twist, Sweet Maple Twist, and Brown Flake Licorice and that was a pretty tasty go-to pouch mixture I mixed up and filled the pouch with a few times. Haven't mixed any of it in about a year. It was just an odd changing variance in the three. Almost equal parts at times, other times like a 45/45/10 with the 10% being the Brown Flake Licorice which also served to really slow down the burn. A full pipe of that mixture burned very slowly.
    I'm the same way with my ratios, there is a variance and nothing is really set in stone, but somehow the mix always comes out right good.

Pipe smoker since

My original "Homebrew" started with Bruno(x2), Condor (because I travelled abroad a lot and they were available at airport duty-free), a lighter Va., a Lat mixture and some thing a bit aromatic. Got totally mixed up now as various thing have gone in and then been corrected - fair bit of Golden Sliced as Markus from Germany brought me a shedload of the Peter Heinrichs'.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    My original "Homebrew" started with Bruno(x2), Condor (because I travelled abroad a lot and they were available at airport duty-free), a lighter Va., a Lat mixture and some thing a bit aromatic. Got totally mixed up now as various thing have gone in and then been corrected - fair bit of Golden Sliced as Markus from Germany brought me a shedload of the Peter Heinrichs'.
    I got to smoke a version of your Homebrew a ways back and it was excellent, at that time it had Kendal Kentucky in it --- I was so taken with it that I pulled out some strands for a bowl by itself and wrote to ask what it was and you said it was well-aged KK --- I've loved KK ever since too, so you've turned me on to the good stuff, got me started up with plug-love by the Warrior, and the kindly pouch of St. Bruno Flake you sent over flipped my wig to put me on path of baccomania because I became so truly enthused!

Thank you!

Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Yes - I forgot to mention spicing added; KK at one bit but more usually Brown Twist and Perique in condimental quantities.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast