Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2011 St. Bruno vs 2015 St. Bruno vs 2015 St. Bruno mixed with SG Lakeland Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Puffer View Post
    Thanks you for sharing your impressions.
    St Bruno with Lakeland Dark. Need I say this is no whimp's mixture? LOL
    I am wondering if Mac Baren had already taken over production of St Bruno in 2011?
    That would explain why the 2011 and 2015 vintages were about identical.
    Unfortunately, St Bruno flake is not what it used to be. I used to smoke it back in the early 1990s. The presentation was the same. But the flakes were quite black in color; the aroma was different, deeper and pungent; and it packed a massive nicotine punch.
    It was quite the tobacco!
    It's really hard to compare a blend from today than to one produced decades ago. Are you basing the difference on memory? Also if you're comparing the current production vs. the vintage you have to consider how age really darkens the tobacco. I have aged some VA's that started out a bright red color that even just 5 years later turned to a very dark, almost black color. There are so many variables at play. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure St. Bruno was an entirely different beast back in the golden days but I have to say that the current production is up there with some of the best blends on the current market in my opinion. I really wish I could come across some vintage Bruno so I could see how different they taste but if not, I am totally satisfied by the current Bruno.

Pipe smoker since

@Hawky: I like the current version as well. BTW, the Ready - Rubbed is very similar today than it was back then.
    For the flake, I'm comparing by memory. It was not vintage but regularly purchased in a B & M. The tobacco was very dark back then, which is not the case today.
    Happy Puffing!

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffer View Post
    @Hawky: I like the current version as well. BTW, the Ready - Rubbed is very similar today than it was back then.
    For the flake, I'm comparing by memory. It was not vintage but regularly purchased in a B & M. The tobacco was very dark back then, which is not the case today.
    The RR is my go to as far as St. Bruno. It's great stuff!

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Sorry...wrong thread.
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 09-13-2017 at 20:37.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Joe Millar
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thank you Markus you have to like a man who takes the pipe so seriously.

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

This afternoon I went for an another round of sampling St. Bruno bought in 2011 vs 2015.

I picked two Falcon bowls of the same shape and size, and two straight stems, and prepared them with the respective two versions of St. Bruno. This time I smoked the pipes in a more normal manner rather than in a serious test setting. I smoked one pipe for maybe ten minutes then switched to the other for about as long. Half the way through I had a piece of apple pie. Then smoked the rest.

Sometimes it felt like the 2011 version indeed seemed tomhave the extra dose of something dark fired, a bit salty and in a particular way smoky, but not as in a Latakia blend. Hard to describe. But for the first and last third of the bowl I didn't notice a difference between the two. So I don't know how much of my impressions is real and how much is imagination.

So it's another inconclusive outcome. Next time I will pick two regular briat pipes instead of the Falcons, and I will smoke the St Bruno without filter crystals.

Best wishes
    Markus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12