Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Falcon rubber washer

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Falcon rubber washer

Today the rubber washer on my falcon bowl gave way and there is no longer an airtight seal between bowl and stem. I don't really want to buy a new bowl as the bowl itself is fine but I can't seem to find any washers with online tobacconists.
    Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did they solve it. Herb and scottishgaucho, I'm looking your way.
    Thanks Shaun.

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunc View Post
    Today the rubber washer on my falcon bowl gave way and there is no longer an airtight seal between bowl and stem. I don't really want to buy a new bowl as the bowl itself is fine but I can't seem to find any washers with online tobacconists.
    Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did they solve it. Herb and scottishgaucho, I'm looking your way.
    Thanks Shaun.
    I took mine to the hardware store and got a rubber o-ring. The thickness was 1/16 of an inch as i recall, and the ID was an inch maybe. I showed it to them at the hardware store, and they set me up. It has worked well.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Your post made me go and inspect mine and the rings look fine.The oldest bowl being around ten years old. How long have you had the bowl in question? Tom seems to have the answer.

Pipe smoker since

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Of the several Falcons that have passed through my hands, there has been only one that had a plastic gasket thingy - the others a simple wood to metal joint - and the one with the gasket was the only one to leak goo. Like Tom, I replaced the gasket with a neoprene sealing ring from a plumbers' merchant.
    Still not very good and I got rid of it.
    Work is the curse of the smoking classes

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo44 View Post
    Of the several Falcons that have passed through my hands, there has been only one that had a plastic gasket thingy - the others a simple wood to metal joint
    I went Googling and found it being said not all Falcon bowls have one fitted which confirms what you say. Strange why that should be.

Real Name
    Shaun
    Pipe smoker since
    About 9 years. Give or take a year or so

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Your post made me go and inspect mine and the rings look fine.The oldest bowl being around ten years old. How long have you had the bowl in question? Tom seems to have the answer.
    Not very old at all, months rather than years. I'll have a look at the hardware store.

Registered Member
    Pipe smoker since

I own 6 Falcon pipes purchased over the last couple years and have never heard of these rubber washers. They must be fitted on the older models?

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

In the interests of full disclosure, I don't really care about some air leaking. I smoke carburetor pipes.

My problem is that I smoke in the car and I am in and out of the car a lot. I also am not a guy who is very OCD about cleaning. So... You have smoked a Falcon a couple of times (maybe three), and you have not swabbed out the humidrome. You drive someplace and jump out of the car, leaving the Falcon in the ash tray of the car. By nature, it wants to sit at about a 45 degree angle. Juice leaks out of the humidrome past the threads, and it makes a mess. I am not sure if this is juice from the humidrome or liquid that has collected on the threads, but anyway it makes a mess.

My o-ring solution solved my problem, but I would not bother if I cleaned it more often or could have it sitting upright all the time.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Puffer View Post
    I own 6 Falcon pipes purchased over the last couple years and have never heard of these rubber washers. They must be fitted on the older models?
    My newest bowl was bought around two and a half years ago on Ebay from a UK based Falcon dealer and it has one. Bit of a strange one.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Not wanting to come across as a snob but, my advice is this: life's too short to smoke a falcon!
    Faffing about with o rings, dry rings & the like. Buy a briar lads, job done!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast