Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Falcon rubber washer

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Not wanting to come across as a snob but, my advice is this: life's too short to smoke a falcon!
    Faffing about with o rings, dry rings & the like. Buy a briar lads, job done!
    Oi!! What's your problem with Falcons you snob.

I've never used a dry ring and this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone having a problem with the washer. I've got a briar and have nothing against them. I just find the Falcon easier to maintain and knock about.

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    Oi!! What's your problem with Falcons you snob.

I've never used a dry ring and this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone having a problem with the washer. I've got a briar and have nothing against them. I just find the Falcon easier to maintain and knock about.
    Funny isn't it, for me the reverse is true. I can knock out & blow out a briar & she's good to go straight away. With my falcon if I don't take it apart & wipe out the metal basin after each smoke, it leeks baccy juice. Dry rings work for one or two smokes then clog up & I have to take it apart again. I like Falcons really I suppose, it's just as a heavy smoker they're a right royal pain in the Arse! Plus they look so awfully working class! Lol.
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    Funny isn't it, for me the reverse is true. I can knock out & blow out a briar & she's good to go straight away. With my falcon if I don't take it apart & wipe out the metal basin after each smoke, it leeks baccy juice. Dry rings work for one or two smokes then clog up & I have to take it apart again. I like Falcons really I suppose, it's just as a heavy smoker they're a right royal pain in the Arse! Plus they look so awfully working class! Lol.
    When I have a problem with moisture mid smoke I just unscrew the bowl and give the stem a flick....usually in the direction of a briar snob. Job done and puffing again in a few seconds. My Peterson system on the other hand is a right pain in the arse. It gurgles and blocks every time I use it so much so I rarely use it although it is possible I was sold a dud. Horses for courses I suppose. I would probably have more briar pipes if I lived in the UK as the prices here are a joke.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Sorry I missed this earlier, Shaun. I haven't yet encountered this problem with my Falcons, but I think Tom's advice would be ideal. At lest here in the States, O-rings are available in a wide range of sizes and thicknesses for a pittance, and do a nice job of replacing worn gaskets generally. Mind the thickness, as the Falcon's four-start thread only requires a quarter-turn to seat, and could fit loosely or stress the wooden threads if you can't screw it down easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishgaucho View Post
    I went Googling and found it being said not all Falcon bowls have one fitted which confirms what you say. Strange why that should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffer View Post
    I own 6 Falcon pipes purchased over the last couple years and have never heard of these rubber washers. They must be fitted on the older models?
    The gaskets are a modern innovation, and I've found them on all the bowls I've bought in recent years. They're quite thin and almost imperceptible if you don't look closely. I'm not totally sure why they started using them, but I strongly suspect it is an adaptation that makes threading the bowls easier or reducing the number of rejected bowls for bad threading, which has always been a challenge for Falcon. I have older bowls without the gasket, and in the interest of science, I stopped up the empty chamber with my thumb on both of them and took a hard draw just now, and they are both as airtight as can be. I suspect that the newer bowls have a half a millimeter or so more clearance between the threads and the flat of the briar, making the gasket necessary.

Good luck with the repair, Shaun. Let us know what works for you.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Crawford
    Pipe smoker since
    Off and on since 1972

Good post Herb.
    My old hillwalking mate's son has kept his late fathers Falcon collection for me when we next get back to the UK. It must include some older models without the ring. I never ever heard him complain about having a draw problem.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I bought a used Falcon a few weeks ago and just did a ring check and it doesn't have one, the model number is FD8 which dates it back to the early to mid 60s i believe. The Falcon is my worst pipe for going out, though in all honesty they all do at the moment but the Falcon is really bad, i wonder if it's down to the o-ring missing.

Wiz

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizhunter View Post
    I bought a used Falcon a few weeks ago and just did a ring check and it doesn't have one, the model number is FD8 which dates it back to the early to mid 60s i believe. The Falcon is my worst pipe for going out, though in all honesty they all do at the moment but the Falcon is really bad, i wonder if it's down to the o-ring missing.

Wiz
    Going out, as in needing a relight? Because of the large draft hole on the bottom, you can pack a Falcon a little tighter than a normal pipe if need be, which might help the relight issue. I can't see the gasket or lack thereof playing a part with that problem.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Fr. Tom
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by HCraven View Post
    Going out, as in needing a relight? Because of the large draft hole on the bottom, you can pack a Falcon a little tighter than a normal pipe if need be, which might help the relight issue. I can't see the gasket or lack thereof playing a part with that problem.
    I am with Herb. I don't think the relights have anything to do with the gasket.
    "Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Real Name
    Markus Wischermann
    Pipe smoker since
    First pipe smoked in autumn 1996, regular smoker since spring 1997.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Hello,

It's happened to me once with my Falcons. I had somehow managed not to screw the bowl properly onto the stem, so I didn't get a good draw through the bowl and I couldn't get the tobacco to burn as it's supposed to. It was easy to check by tightly covering the top of the bowl with my palm, then draw air through the stem. Indeed I got in some air , which had to be coming from below the bottom of the bowl, not through the top. I had to undo the bowl and screw it in properly. The bowl and threading was all wood, no plastic etc.

Best wishes
    Markus

I didnít even know Falcons came with a rubber washer, interesting. Mine work just fine without them though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12