Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Falcons-- Bent or Straight?

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Falcons-- Bent or Straight?

Since getting a straight chrome Falcon stem and two bowls a number of months ago I've been getting fonder and fonder of this system of pipe design. I know I don't NEED a bent stem version, but I sure seem to WANT one.

I'm most interested in how the angle of the bowl relates to the angle of the mouthpiece-- as in will the top of the bowl be level if I clench the stem normally? Seems like one's normal clench angle would have to be slanted pretty much downward to keep the bowl from leaning back toward your face. Is this as confusing to read as I fear it is? Anybody actually know what I mean here?

How 'bout this: Who has a bent Falcon and do you like it?
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Ian
    Pipe smoker since

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

You will get no help from me sir. I have 0 Falcons.

Might need to remedy that.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Dallas
    Pipe smoker since

I have 2 of the semi-bent falcons - the full bent has never attracted me, although I smoke mostly full and 1/2-bent briars. Weird, I know, but so am I. :-)
    Cheers, Dallas

I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs - Albert Einstein

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

To tell you the truth Billy I don't see a lot of diffrence, they both smoke well and are very comfortable in the mouth.
    Bite the bullet and go for it mate, why don't you just buy a stem to start out with, you already have the bowls it's hardly going to break the bank.

Go on Billy......Ya know ya wan't to!

Real Name
    Mark Smith
    Pipe smoker since

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The only Falcon I have is a straight one. I have been eyeing the bent ones myself.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- Benjamin Franklin

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

I have a bent Falcon, and I love it, although the aesthetic of the straight Falcon is a little more my thing. The angle of the bowl is tipped a little bit in relation to the angle of the bit (something I never gave much thought to before), but I've never had any problem smoking it. I suppose it depends on what kind of clencher you are (you didn't know there were subtypes, did you?): if you're a "chomper", it will probably tilt back toward you at about a 20-30 degree angle; if you're a "slacker" like me, it usually sits level. I use a rubber softie bit on it, like I do on all my pipes, so I've no worry about it slipping out of my mouth with a slack clench, but if you don't use protection, as it were, you might consider getting one with the dental bit that seems to kind of hook behind your teeth.

chrome-bent-dental.jpg

Don't forget that there are both the "bent" version and the "curved" version that Dallas refers to above. I've got bent one.

chrome-curved.jpg

Incidentally, my bent Falcon passes a cleaner easier than my straight one, but the bent one is a newer "Made in England" model while the straight one - the one Mike gave me - is a mid-fifties version from Chicago, and it is noticeably thinner at the button. I've been known to start the cleaner through from the draft hole in the humidome if it gets frustrating, though a little alcohol on the pipe cleaner makes it slide through easier. I have a feeling that at one time those ultra-thin Falcon brand pipe cleaners really were thinner than the standard thin BJ Long / Dill's variety.

In practice, I notice pretty much no difference in the way the bent Falcon smokes compared to the straight version. Like Ally said, if you want one, order a stem and see what you think, it won't break the bank. Great pipes all round, IMO.
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Astrid

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I have both Billy, and they smoke the same I don't notice a big difference besides the looks of it.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since
    October 2013

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Not sure if this will help but here is mine under a normal clench.

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by purplemotoman View Post
    Not sure if this will help but here is mine under a normal clench.
    Thanks! Informative (and a little bit unsettling first thing in the morning). I like the finish on that one, Bill. What do they call that color?
    Billy
    --------
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

3 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Anodised Red.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast