Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Family Cars From Our Childhood

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Remembering Family Cars From Our Childhood

What family cars do you remember as a kid? Perhaps an uncle's farm truck or the family station wagon? Big or small? Luxury or beat-up? Frequent break downs on family outings? Constant flat tires? Let's hear about or see 'em, stories and all!

I remember that my father had a pickup truck when I was a tot and I wish that I had a picture of it. He got rid of it because he commuted by train and the station was right down the street. Everything else was within walking distance (except for me) so he sold the pickup and we never had another vehicle for the rest of his life. My grandfather, however, held on to a basic 1949 Plymouth Deluxe Sedan for years. When I would run my hand over the fenders, it would show the "chalk" of the faded blue paint job. He smoked cigarettes in the car and kept the windows rolled up tight so that it smelled of stale smoke and cheap upholstery, especially when left out in the heat and direct sunlight of a summer day. Here's a shot of a car similar to the one that he had, except in much better shape and with a fancier trim level:

1949_Plymouth.jpg
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 09-25-2017 at 18:47.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My Dad's first car on arrival in Canada in 1955. Nash Ramber '55 a prelude to American Motors vehicles. This is not the actual car but it shows the same colours although there was a bit more colour white around the fenders.

nash rambler.jpg
    The best teachers tell you where to look but not what to see.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

2 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    My Dad's first car on arrival in Canada in 1955. Nash Ramber '55 a prelude to American Motors vehicles. This is not the actual car but it shows the same colours although there was a bit more colour white around the fenders.

nash rambler.jpg
    Bill...What is that thing just above the windows??
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Alister, aka Ally.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My old dad "God rest his soul" who departed this Earth in 1975 was a Petty Officer in the Royal Navy serving on mine sweepers during WW2 his pride and joy was a Vauxhall Victor, same colour scheme as this, I remember when I was about 8 yrs old obviously sitting in the passenger seat going down to the bottom of the road and taking a right turn the door flew open and I fell out, no seat belts then!

I'll never forget the No Plate of that car, TWS 857, again not the actual car in the pic.

6614069576a0941292d08a4894f82f22.jpg
    Last edited by allyby; 09-25-2017 at 20:08.

Real Name
    Thomas

rambler-american-220-06.jpg

Around '63 Dad started to teach me to drive in a Rambler American.
    It was blue and manual trans. on the column.

The first car I remember was a 4-door Plymouth that looked like your picture Russ.
    I still miss the wing windows.
    I can resist anything but temptation--Oscar Wilde

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by coalsmoke View Post
    Bill...What is that thing just above the windows??
    My Dad's car didn't have one but I think it is called a swamp cooler or something. It was an early air conditioning method which cooled air and sent it into the car.

My first car was a 57 Vauxhall Viva bought in 1968, red, 2 door, standard which lasted me 3 months.

Real Name
    Dave

1963 Buick Riviera, it was my grandmother's car, but stayed in the family when she bought a new car in 1968-9. " 325 hp 401 cu in (6.6 l) "Nailhead" V-8 as the only available engine, fitted with dual exhaust as standard equipment, and the turbine drive the only transmission, 13 mpg." We were driving this beast as kids in high school (1976-79)! "The Riv" also had the wire hubcaps pictured below, which yours truly dutifully washed almost every weekend.

184084_Side_Profile_Web.jpg81321_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

Nice buggy!

Real Name
    Simon
    Pipe smoker since

What a great thread! Lovely to see these old motors. I have to say I'm most impressed by dave's grandma! A V8 no less!
    My old gran had a Morris minor. They obviously build cars & grandmas differently in the states. Way to go grandma!
    St. Bruno simply satisfies!

Real Name
    Sonny
    Pipe smoker since
    Since 2016

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

My grandfather on mom's side had a 1969 El Camino that he purchased new...My dad told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it, let him know. So sometime in the 80's granddad sold it to dad. Dad kept it until a couple of years before he passed away, and he had promised it to my youngest brother who still has it to this day. Similar but my Brother's is a bronze color.

1969 El Camino.jpg

My uncle had a 1966 Chevy C-10 long wide bed. He traded it to my dad for something or other (the brothers were always doing that). Dad gave it to my younger brother who has it torn apart and is in the process of a complete restoration. This is what John's truck looks like...or will after the restoration. Keeping the same color scheme as original.

1966 Chevy Truck.jpg

I have my dad's 1965 Chevy C-10 Short Wide bed truck. He gave it to me when he passed away in 2008. I've had numerous offers for it, the highest being $5500 as is...But it is something that I will never sell, but will one day pass down the chain. This IS my truck...it is carrying my 1991 Six-Pac model 78S camper.

65 chevy with camper.jpg
    Take care and check six!

McGyver

"If it ain't broke, you haven't tried hard enough yet"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast