Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remembering Family Cars From Our Childhood

Real Name
    Dave

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

The car I learned to drive standard transmission, the first non-Buick my father ever bought, 1976 Alfa Romeo Alfetta. 2 litre, fuel injected, DOHC I4 with 5 speed gearbox, for wheel discs, DeDion rear suspension. Another car that was washed every weekend. Ours was silver with black interior. A sporty (if slightly under powered), very well handling car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Back when I was a kid, my aunt and uncle drove this 1950 "Tudor" into the ground. It ended up becoming my oldest brother's first car after they went out and bought a new, no-options (not even a radio) black American Motors "Rambler". The Ford was equipped with a basic 226 cubic inch cast iron six cylinder flathead engine with the usual column-mounted shifter. When new, these things cost $1,472.00. Quality photography wasn't part of our family's talents. That's my younger brother to the left of me.

Uncle Nick's Old Ford.jpg
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 09-25-2017 at 22:48.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbass View Post
    Attachment 45269

Around '63 Dad started to teach me to drive in a Rambler American. It was blue and manual trans. on the column. The first car I remember was a 4-door Plymouth that looked like your picture Russ. I still miss the wing windows.
    That's what my first car looked like! Mine was a '61 with an automatic trans and problematic vacuum-operated windshield wipers. Of course, like a lot of kids, I wrecked it.
    Russ

After all of the statistics and reports are finished with, I've come to the conclusion that the only real danger of smoking a pipe is being interrupted.

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

I grew up in the seventies, so cars weren't quite as stylish as those above, and my dad managed to pick an uglier model than even most of it's contemporaries. It was the era when station wagons were the family car of choice, and my folks replaced our aging AMC Ambassador wagon with a coffin-nosed 1976 AMC Matador wagon. It had black vinyl seats that could seriously blister your thighs if you carelessly jumped in wearing shorts after the car had been sitting in the sun for a short time. Shortly after my parents bought it, they took it for a night out in Marquette, about 15 miles away from our little mining town, and the transmission failed, and they rode home in a tow truck. It proved to be only the first time that stupid car stranded the family somewhere. Still, we managed to squeeze a little over 100,000 miles out of it before we gave up.

Again, pic from the internet; ours was red. Our pics of the car are all on slides, another abomination of the seventies.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

Quote Originally Posted by Simon G View Post
    What a great thread! Lovely to see these old motors. I have to say I'm most impressed by dave's grandma! A V8 no less!
    My old gran had a Morris minor. They obviously build cars & grandmas differently in the states. Way to go grandma!
    https://youtu.be/rV1_7R_3cXA

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Russ
    Pipe smoker since
    Way Back

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver View Post
    I have my dad's 1965 Chevy C-10 Short Wide bed truck. He gave it to me when he passed away in 2008. I've had numerous offers for it, the highest being $5500 as is...But it is something that I will never sell, but will one day pass down the chain. This IS my truck...it is carrying my 1991 Six-Pac model 78S camper.

Attachment 45275
    What a great truck, Sonny! And it's in such terrific condition that it's no wonder that you get offers to buy it.
    Last edited by coalsmoke; 09-26-2017 at 14:36.
    Russ

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I couldn't find a pic of it yesterday. Vauxhall Velox 1957, purchased 1968 for $300. Mine was a well aged red, 2 door. It lasted 3 months when the engine blew. It had lots of miles on it when I bought it but to me it was my first real feeling of freedom. I couldn't find a pic of 2 door coup but the front end is identical to this wagon.

Vauxhall Velox.jpg
    Last edited by Brooklin Bill; 09-26-2017 at 15:02.
    The best teachers tell you where to look but not what to see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12