Thread: Old meerschaum

7 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Old meerschaum

I have this old pipe that was my great uncle's. It's a CPF meerschaum. I can't seem to find any value for it on the web. I know it's at least 80 years old. It's in pretty good shape except for a loose stem. Sorry I couldn't get the photos turned correctly.

IMG_1079.jpgIMG_1080.jpgIMG_1082.jpgIMG_1083.jpg
    Last edited by dmcmtk; 10-09-2017 at 15:31. Reason: pictures, sorry not perfect...

Real Name
    Herb Craven
    Pipe smoker since

8 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Welcome aboard, Nicky! I can't really help you value the pipe, but Ithank you profusely for posting photos of it. My great-grandfather had what I believe is exactly that pipe, but I'd never found markings on either the case or pipe to tell where it came from, nor had I ever seen one with the filigree in place around the top of the bowl.

Here's my example:

Herb

Proud member of the Walrus Club

Real Name
    Bill
    Pipe smoker since

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

I have followed the prices of old meers like this on E-Bay. They are all over the map. One will go for $40. and another will go for high $200's. It seems the ones with more provenance bring the better prices. I won't post the picture of my Grandfather's meerschaum which I place at around 80 - 100 years old but I have seen two exactly the same, one for $46. and the other for $185.00.

I'm sure you are not in the mood to sell a pipe that is a member of the family.

And BTW welcome to PSU.
    "The box with the least amount of matches makes the most noise." MWB

5 members Liked or found this post helpful.

That's a beautiful pipe ! I love the color of the stem ! Thank you for the reply.

6 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklin Bill View Post
    I have followed the prices of old meers like this on E-Bay. They are all over the map. One will go for $40. and another will go for high $200's. It seems the ones with more provenance bring the better prices. I won't post the picture of my Grandfather's meerschaum which I place at around 80 - 100 years old but I have seen two exactly the same, one for $46. and the other for $185.00.

I'm sure you are not in the mood to sell a pipe that is a member of the family.

And BTW welcome to PSU.
    I guess if I was to sell it it would depend on how bad someone wanted it. I think I will keep it in the family. Thank you for the reply.

Real Name
    Zach
    Pipe smoker since

1 members Liked or found this post helpful.

A very nice and well cared for old meer. I'd hold onto it even if you're not a pipe smoker yourself. It's in great condition. Like others have said, it really depends on what someone will pay at the time, but I'd ballpark that meer as being worth around ~$100 in that condition.

4 members Liked or found this post helpful.

Thank you. I'm not gonna get rich selling it and it's worth more to me as a keepsake.